Home

Why All-Pro Football Still Trumps Madden

This is a discussion on Why All-Pro Football Still Trumps Madden within the All Pro Football 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 09-09-2009, 02:05 PM   #81
Banned

OVR: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ijeswannaknow
I still play All-Pro Football 2K8 and NFL 2K5...till this day!!! I just played a game of All-Pro last night... I havent played Madden 10 in about 10 days because of the same ol sh!+...
2K just needs to make a new football game and call it Pro Football 2k10 and blow EA Sports out the water!!! To me 2K didnt have to stop making football games bcuz of the loss of the NFL License...Just keep making games for the fans....Plllllllllllleeeeeeaaaaaassssse 2K if reading this!!! Just do it!!!!
I think we need to get a serious legit movement going to get 2k to get back into the football business. At this point I could care less about the NFL license, thats how fed up I am with these garbage games EA keeps putting out. And I am not a 2k fanboy EA *****. I absolutely loved the PS2 maddens and I played the religiously but ever since madden has hit the current gen it has been garbage.

We need to seriously find a way to get 2k to realize that we want another 2k football game and that great realistic gameplay is more important than player and team names and team logos.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-09-2009, 02:35 PM   #82
Banned

OVR: 12
The best way to revive the 2K series is to direct the noise, (complaints, videos, and pleas) to the big man. The NFL itself, bury the commissioner of the league under a pile of e mails. Roger Goodell are you listening? Your being petty, you've ruined football gaming, you've driven many to create their own teams and shun the league, you've sold your exclusive license to many times. Leave gaming alone, its probably some other exec. that started this stuff, but you the man in charge, and the public is pissed.
Then say something about knowing where he lives, and sign with an Italian name.
Old 09-09-2009, 03:06 PM   #83
Pro

OVR: 8
Re: Why All-Pro Football Still Trumps Madden

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormJH1
Good point. What's the most frequent complaint against buying Madden year after year? "Oh, you're getting nothing more than a roster update." With APF, not only was the gameplay only a mediocre refinement of 2k5's last-gen engine, but you don't even get a "roster update" because:
(1) The game isn't made or supported anymore
(2) The game lacks an NFL license
(3) There were never real "rosters" to begin with b/c you had this strange alternate universe where fake players and retired NFL vets play in a "league"
(4) Roster management never would've worked in a game with no ratings, transactions, drafts, or franchise modes anyway.

Rather than always hiding behing the "big, bad EA" argument, why are those shortcomings overlooked?

When people evaluate Madden or NCAA, they invariably say stupid things like "Well, this game lacks true field degradation and time of day progression, so those are deal-breakers for me" Crappy, niche features that nobody notices are "deal-breakers", but the total failure to provide anything looking like a professional football league of any kind is not!?!
This

Philadelphia Eagles
Old 09-09-2009, 03:32 PM   #84
Rookie

OVR: 7
Stick Skillz?? WAAY TO EASY MAN! LOL!!

He wants to play REAL ball?? lmao!! well.. go try out for a semi pro team, or a college team if you wanna play "REAL" ball.. I did both and video games arent even close to "REAL" ball.. lmao!!

never had a bone broken, ACL strains and bruises playing madden.. but does carpal tunnel count? lmao!!
Old 09-09-2009, 03:56 PM   #85
Rookie

OVR: 16
Great article very well written, thought out, and informative. I will begin by saying that I have bought every edition of Madden from roughly 92 on. I returned 05 to 09 because they were just bad games. I'm finally able to play and enjoy 10 but I'm not blind and I'm not a fool because there are huge holes and flaws with this game.

When comparing 2k5 to Madden you have to immediately handicap the discussion because

1. 2k5 was 5 years ago on a ps2 or xbox.

2. Both games had flaws, money plays, and problems with line blocking. I could get 77 sacks with my DT because of one of these flaws, and 28 picks with a safety on 2k which is a serious flaw. But 5 years is a lot of time to fix these flaws...hey we still have these same type of flaws on Madden.

Overall if you ran 100 plays on Madden, and 100 on 2k, the line play is far superior. 2k had that little slide animation on running plays, when RBs came into contact with the back of the lineman instead of running in place like Madden they slid to one side or the other this is a seamless animation that kept the flow and was realistic. We want complete control but sometimes having something like that actually helps.

3. The passing game was sick...like I said there were money plays and unstoppable fades and corner routes but they developed more realistically and overall it was more organic like a real football game. Madden seems canned and predetermined if the play called is a post then thats what they run on Madden 2k they run a post but if your WR has awareness its a post to the soft spot of the D instead of a predetermined post directly into the safety follow.

4. Defensively and offensively players just moved better and more realistic than Madden.

5. Its five years later and we are still having this discussion thats just mindblowing.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-09-2009, 03:59 PM   #86
MVP

OVR: 21
Re: Why All-Pro Football Still Trumps Madden

AP2K8 with whatever flaw you could bring up about it is still WAY better than Madden on the field.

The WR route running.
The Oline/Dline interaction
The way you call your defensive hot routes is faster and better.
The fact that you CAN run a fade route in the game(they ARE defensible...VERY defensible) In Madden the streak and the fade are dead.

The defense plays their zones better and without warping/super leaping

The man defense did not cheat. (run the WRs routes before the WR's)

Star players stood out and the scrubs had distinguishing abilities.

Could create your own playbooks.
Formation audibles.
Better commentary.
etc etc

Madden still got a long way to go.
Old 09-09-2009, 04:40 PM   #87
Rookie

OVR: 2
still playing nfl 2k5
Old 09-09-2009, 04:45 PM   #88
Rookie

OVR: 3
Great article. Madden is getting better, but the engine for 2k overall is still the best.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K »