Home

Why All-Pro Football Still Trumps Madden

This is a discussion on Why All-Pro Football Still Trumps Madden within the All Pro Football 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 09-08-2009, 08:40 PM   #49
Rookie

OVR: 5
I don't know. I have had SO MANY dropped passes it is ridiculous, and I have had good pressure on the QB from beating an offensive lineman. I also rather enjoy the "coverage sacks". They do happen.

The blocking things, I agree on, though. It's funny though, because the blocking only seems severely broken when the HUM has the ball. hmmm.

I also think they should have added the logic for Intentional grounding, and fumbles (when the duck goes backward (when hit on a screen play). That would have added the icing to the cake of the new pass system.
Old 09-08-2009, 08:45 PM   #50
MVP

speedkills's Arena

OVR: 8
You couldn't do franchise mode in APF 2K8 because it was based on legends from different eras. And VC wouldn't release another non-licensed football game for "the fans" because it's not financially feasible. APF 2K8 as solid a game as it was had poor sales figures. Our only hope is the NFL no longer offering an exclusive license. I mean even if 2K Sports secured the NFL license and EA was left out in the cold it would still be a bad thing. The more NFL games competing for our dollar the better.

I actually like Madden 10 but agree that it still can't match 2K in gameplay and presentation. But EA took significant strides this year and hope they continue to improve.

Last edited by speedkills; 09-08-2009 at 08:48 PM.
Old 09-08-2009, 08:56 PM   #51
Banned

OVR: 4
Unfortunately, EA Sports will never care about what has been written here. They can't even copy the content from the 2K series and do it right. It is half assed and very poorly implemented. Someone needs to find a way into that company that actually knows what they are doing to create a game that we demand and deserve. EA has too much money and money to allocate the resources and personnel to make an amazing NFL simulation for us. We will never see it...especially over the next 3-5 years. No competition, a few tweaks here and a few tweaks there make them seem like this game is great. The engine needs to change, the gameplay needs to change. Someone really needs to understand the NFL and watch the NFL to get it to sim over to the video game. EA is such a disappointed, they have failed and let down so many people over the years. 2K didn't have the money, but they sure cared about the consumer and the NFL and put out 6 terrific games (NFL series) and the All Pro game in its short great time. They didn't care about the money, but they sure knew what they were doing. We can only hope for something better right now....our demands need to be more forceful to get what we want to play, or we won't buy it. Only time will tell....
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-08-2009, 10:03 PM   #52
All Star

OVR: 21
Re: Why All-Pro Football Still Trumps Madden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky
Really a senseless and pointless comparison. I don't care how great All-Pro plays. Playing with fake teams is no fun. The reason most people play sports games is to simulate real life teams and leagues. Madden was garbage on next-gen until this year but I'll take a garbage game that's fully licensed over a fantastic game without the NFL license.

XBL gamertag: d0meBreaker22 (that's a zero)

congrats Steelers, city of Pittsburgh, and Steeler Nation - SIX TIME WORLD CHAMPS
Old 09-08-2009, 10:39 PM   #53
Rookie

Funny. The same people that say they would never play games with no license are the same people that won't buy a shoe because they have no Nike swoosh. I think it's very close minded. You mean to tell me that you would buy a turd that says "NFL" on it? Gimme a break.

Look I was raised watching the NFL but if there is a game that simulates real football on TV , I could care less if the teams playing were the NY/NJ Knights vs. Orlando Thunder. People just are too lazy to be creative nowadays. These are the same folks who will never give the CFL or any other league a chance which is unfortunate (but that's another topic).

Anyway, on the subject. Look, I'm enjoying Madden 10 right now, it's easily the best Madden on Next Gen, but I also have APF 2k8. I don't compare the two but I do know that All-Pro, being the rushed project that it was, still has things that the Madden series could use. The game itself is charming but also lacking. I swear, if they combined both games...you'd have the perfect football game..but alas, that horse is dead.
Old 09-08-2009, 10:40 PM   #54
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankdatazz22
That broadcast view presentation and camera angles....+1 2K.
Old 09-08-2009, 10:41 PM   #55
Against The Crowd!

Eddie1967's Arena

OVR: 23
Re: Why All-Pro Football Still Trumps Madden

Very good comparison. Sadly I bought into the hype that was madden 10 and have already traded the game in. All Pro did so many things right even if it wasn't perfect. Madden still has a very long way to go. Who cares if Madden has the real teams if it plays nothing like NFL.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-08-2009, 10:48 PM   #56
MVP

boxboy99's Arena

OVR: 23
Good write up! I didn't really get into 2K football until 08 and feel like I missed the party. I have felt that 2K's offering was superior to EA's football offering. I surely would of played more APF if I wasn't in a very active NCAA dynasty with a group of close friends. The last couple years I wanted to quit playing with my friends because I was disgusted with how horrible EA football was compared to APF. I have 3 main things I love about APF,

1) decent learning curve, I have played football games since I got gamestar football on Comadore 64 when I was 5 years old, and I can say the nuances of the game are amazing. Analog running, kicking (someone posted kicking was not automatic in Madden? I would say I am sure I wouldn't miss on APF if I ever mastered the mechanic, but a brain dead zombie and make every kick on Madden/NCAA under 49 yards etc. etc.

2) Physics Physics Physics - The game respects physics, EA does not. Most the stuff in APF is realistic looking, I cring when playing Madden and I see a warp interception or when a running back is almost leveled to their back only to some how warp forward for 3 yards. The physics make Madden fell unreal sometimes and that takes away a ton from the game. I think EA's issue is two fold a) ratings mean more than physics... the game depends on dice rolls more than what is really physcially possible and there are not enough situations where there is a neutral outcome. b) Branching Animations look unnatural.

3) Watching a replay amazes me, if you want a low quality video like the youtube clip above it is hard to tell if it is APF or the real thing. Madden you can always tell it looks way too scripted like a game.

Now what really keep me away from playing 2k online was the learning curve and poor defensive AI. I wanted to throw my controller when I played online because the guy was throwing fades all day. Also as mentioned the defense played to heavy. I would get so frustrated playing the computer because I would routinely over/under purse a play but then I realized I am playing with actually analog running and needed to adjust I just never got to master it. Obviously since i was playing offline not having a Franchise killed me, what was I playing for if I was 3-5 in a season and my gold rb was done for the year so I have no shot at making the playoffs? I'd love a new 2k game with better defensive AI and less weight on defense with a franchise mode. Still I am finding Madden 10s cpu AI is weak so playing with the right people is key.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K »