Home

Speed Kills? Can OOTP X Provide the Answer?

This is a discussion on Speed Kills? Can OOTP X Provide the Answer? within the Pro Baseball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 08-26-2009, 11:28 AM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
Speed Kills? Can OOTP X Provide the Answer?

I have been thinking a great deal about speed in sports as of late, and no I am not trying to start a new drugs in sports controversy. The fact of the matter is that I have always been fascinated by the impact of team and individual speed in sports. Urban Meyer has developed the Florida Gators to be the fastest team in the nation, and by doing so he has made the Gators the best and most intimidating team to match up against. Often times it is more daunting to face a team full of jackrabbits than it is to face a team full of grizzly bears. Speed can embarrass people like few other attributes can.

A couple recent events have also renewed my interest in this topic -- the major event being Rickey Henderson’s induction into the National Baseball Hall of Fame. For those of us who witnessed Rickey in his prime, we can speak first hand about the impact he had on every game he was a part of. He was a disruption like no other. Not only did he steal as many as 130 bases a season, but he messed with every pitcher’s head who was unfortunate enough to be matched up against him. Honestly, how could a pitcher possibly concentrate on the hitter in the batter’s box with Rickey on base?

Read More - Speed Kills? Can OOTP X Provide the Answer?
Platform: PC
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-26-2009, 12:29 PM   #2
Rookie

teampunjabi's Arena

OVR: 7
This makes me want to get back into OOTP again. Love this game. Great article.
Old 08-26-2009, 12:31 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 5
But is it real? Who knows what real-world inter-dependencies and correlations are programmed into OOTP and which are not. For instance, while it makes sense that a speedy team has increased range have there been any studies done that show a correlation between speed and a decrease in errors?
Old 08-26-2009, 12:34 PM   #4
Rookie

But is it real? Who knows what real-world inter-dependencies and correlations are programmed into OOTP and which are not. For instance, while it makes sense that a speedy team has increased range have there been any studies done that show a correlation between speed and a decrease in errors?
Old 08-26-2009, 01:00 PM   #5
Rookie

texasgmr's Arena

OVR: 19
Great article. I am with teampunjabi, I want to get back into the OOTP leagues.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-26-2009, 01:15 PM   #6
Ice Cold

NoDakHusker's Arena

OVR: 47
wow this is a very interesting study. Excellent article. Like texasgmr and teampunjabi, i think i'll get back into OOTP again =D
Old 08-26-2009, 01:23 PM   #7
CMH
Making you famous

CMH's Arena

OVR: 46
Re: Speed Kills? Can OOTP X Provide the Answer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigsca
I would argue that more speed could equal more range. More plays to cover increases the likelihood of creating an error. Therefore, more speed could result in more errors.

However, with more speed/range, there's a chance this team is decreasing extra base hits and getting to a few of those bloopers, which might help with preventing runs (thus lowering ERA).
"It may well be that we spectators, who are not divinely gifted as athletes, are the only ones able to truly see, articulate and animate the experience of the gift we are denied. And that those who receive and act out the gift of athletic genius must, perforce, be blind and dumb about it -- and not because blindness and dumbness are the price of the gift, but because they are its essence." - David Foster Wallace

"You'll not find more penny-wise/pound-foolish behavior than in Major League Baseball." - Rob Neyer

Last edited by CMH; 08-26-2009 at 01:26 PM.
Old 08-26-2009, 02:55 PM   #8
Rookie

Absolutely. But I'm still wary of using OOTP as the engine for any study of real baseball. You still get some things in the engine that make no sense - so using this as a study of "real life" is kind of a stretch.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball »