Home

Football Time Machine Tussle: EA vs. Sega

This is a discussion on Football Time Machine Tussle: EA vs. Sega within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 08-12-2009, 03:48 PM   #9
MVP

GaryT531's Arena

OVR: 19
NFL Football 94 w/Joe Montana had more camera angles than any version of Madden on 360 until this year! LOL
Old 08-12-2009, 05:14 PM   #10
Banned

OVR: 8
no doubt the sega game was better though I like nfl 95 better than JM 94.

I will say that Madden on the Genesis was far more enjoyable to me than these current versions. Sure they weren't as realistic but they were incredibly fun.

Sega and 2K have simply bettered EA when it comes to football...IMO that is. EAs problem is they try too much to make the game be realistic but it often fails because they do not work on the entire package for that goal. An example is simple line play. They make it so YOU the player get realistic or too heavy like pressure when on O but when on D your DL sucks regardless of the ratings involved. If i have a line with 4 guys rated 90 and the CPu's OL is an avg of say 75 and i blitz on top of this my D should be getting intense pressure.

EA's problem is they need to either make ratings the sole determination of how players (specifically AI) play on both the cpu and human controlled teams or get rid of ratings and just basically say there will be the extra modifier for the cpu team based on the difficulty one is playing on.

A true realistic game would simply be programmed to play based on ratings and no skill level(aka programming modification to make it harder/easier) would be needed. Madden SHOULD have that as the default skill level where there is no modification/bias and any level above/below would be modified but sadly this does not exist.

Just give me these choices:

rookie
pro
realistic
all pro
all madden

if I want the cpu to get an extra boost regardless of team i'll play on AP or AM. if i want my team to get a boost i play on rookie and pro. If I want actual ratings to be the sole judge of player quality i play on realistic.

I think with sliders on AP you can get it to be fairly close to this but I shouldn't have to tweak with sliders to get a game to play in a logical way.

Seems simple but this does not exist.
Old 08-13-2009, 02:27 AM   #11
MVP

boxboy99's Arena

OVR: 23
Seriously...... I always felt Joe Montana 94 was the best game up until NCAA/Madden 99 came out. I think I did 10 individual seasons on that game when I was a kid. I don't remember the passing game being that bad. I remember having a few hundred catch seasons on the game. The Sega processor was what made the system so much better than the SNES. You could never do a game like Sonic or even JM 94 on the SNES. Was Madden really developed by two companies back then one for SNES and one for Sega? I had played both and they always seemed to me like the same game. I hated Montana 95, they graphics and gameplay seemed to take a huge hit. Montana 94 was the king of 16 bit football1
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-13-2009, 03:02 AM   #12
Banned

OVR: 12
Re: Football Time Machine Tussle: EA vs. Sega

Quote:
Originally Posted by techhokies
I love Joe Montana 94. The cheat I used to use was subbing Deion Sanders as the FS or SS and commiting pass interference on the reciever by holding him and letting my CB pick the ball off by getting into position. I think it was only a penalty if your CB never touched the ball.

The other glitch was that all rookie RB's had tremendous speed, and so I would use Charlie garner and the Cpu could never stop the sweep play.
joe montana football is one of my fav football games. i still play it for kicks with a emulator. techmo bowl gotta be up there to though. you just had to get bo jackson and go zig zagging down the screen to score i still try that in madden lol.
what was the madden where the ambulance would run over the players wasnt it 93? i can remember playing it but i cant remember what yr it was, i owned 94 but i think it was that one.

the commentary was top notch lol i loved it

Last edited by darthlaidher; 08-13-2009 at 03:17 AM.
Old 08-13-2009, 04:18 AM   #13
MVP

OVR: 30
JM Football, eh? I did own the second one. I do remember playing it a lot, now that I think about it but memory blocks out much of it. That one was a vertical screen. I can't say whether JM Football 2 or Madden was better, honestly.

As for the SNES/Genesis versions of Madden, I hated the fact that the Genesis always had better versions of EA sports games, period. I was more into the SNES because I thought it was a superior system to the Genesis but just couldn't get how EA's sports games would come out on the SNES. I ended up getting a Genesis to coincide with my SNES, JUST for the EA Sports games.
Old 08-13-2009, 06:31 PM   #14
Rookie

OVR: 13
Just watching that youtube video of JM Football reminds me of how far sports games have come. Honestly, it may be the reason why I'm so forgiving when it comes to Madden, because I had the first Madden on Genesis, and I can remember how amazed I was with it at the time. Now all we do is moan.

To sit here and nitpick these new generation of games always seemed a bit inconsiderate, especially if you're old enough to recall what a sports game used to be. We've come a long, long way from those days, and EA deserves credit along with every other sports game developer for allowing us the format to even criticize things that years ago we would have never dreamed of seeing...
Old 08-13-2009, 07:44 PM   #15
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 38
Honestly, I think the Joe Montana '94 play-by-play guy is better than Hammond in Madden '10.

So many things about that game were WAY ahead of their time.

If it wasn't for the shoddy passing game, it would've stomped Madden hard back in '93.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-14-2009, 01:04 PM   #16
Rookie

OVR: 10
Man when these game came out I was like 6. Hahaha I do remember playing them but I was a Niners fan and I got JM because he was the man. I think I had both tho.

Which year was PRIMETIME for the Genesis that was my an amazing game right behind Tecmo Bowl for my all time favorite.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »