Home

Madden NFL 10 Review

This is a discussion on Madden NFL 10 Review within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 08-13-2009, 11:00 AM   #65
Strategy

OVR: 36
good review. i dig it, and second it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-13-2009, 11:01 AM   #66
Banned

OVR: 17
Re: Madden NFL 10 Review

The amount of people disagreeing with the review scores in both this thread and the the other review threads (all of which have been overwhelmingly positive) and then typing in the same post that they don't yet have the game is astounding. If you don't have the game you have no business calling out anybody for their review scores.
Old 08-13-2009, 11:06 AM   #67
All Star

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky
You know it doesn't work like that though. If someone looks at Madden 10's score and The Show's score, most conclude that there are equal games in terms of quality. Even the staunchest Madden fan would have a hard time saying that's true.

Like I've said before, there is no standard for Madden. It certainly isn't stellar sports games such as NHL 09, The Show, NBA2K9 because Madden 10 gets similar or better scores without being as good.

Is it because of the competition? There is none to really compare it to and the latest competition's gameplay is still years ahead of Madden in some major areas. Or is it because they've improved? If so, I don't think that's enough to warrant a 9.
Well said. The problem I have is that Madden benefits immensely from having sucked for so long, and most reviewers not calling Tiburon on it. The game/devs deserve recognition for making the game better. But scoring the game the way some reviewers have, gives the impression that Madden as it is at this point is equal to top-tier sports titles like The Show or NBA2K9 that are clearly in best-ever in their genre category. And imo it isn't close to being the complete games those are. Hell, I'd bet someone will be able to make a legitimate argument that Madden 10 PS2 will be just as good or better and perhaps still a more complete game than Madden 10 next gen. Remains to be seen of course. But just the fact that argument can't be completely discarded says Madden still has a ways to go. It shouldn't be getting near-perfect ratings for "finally" being on the right track.

Also, the whole "don't pay attention to the score/grade" thing makes no sense to me - if it doesn't matter, then why assign a score/letter grade in the first place? I wouldn't want to hear a teacher say "Don't worry about the "D" I put on your test - just look at the notes I made on why I gave you that grade". The first thing most people notice on anything that's given a rating is how it was scored.

XBL gamertag: d0meBreaker22 (that's a zero)

congrats Steelers, city of Pittsburgh, and Steeler Nation - SIX TIME WORLD CHAMPS
Old 08-13-2009, 11:18 AM   #68
MVP

Only1LT's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankdatazz22
Well said. The problem I have is that Madden benefits immensely from having sucked for so long, and most reviewers not calling Tiburon on it. The game/devs deserve recognition for making the game better. But scoring the game the way some reviewers have, gives the impression that Madden as it is at this point is equal to top-tier sports titles like The Show or NBA2K9 that are clearly in best-ever in their genre category. And imo it isn't close to being the complete games those are. Hell, I'd bet someone will be able to make a legitimate argument that Madden 10 PS2 will be just as good or better and perhaps still a more complete game than Madden 10 next gen. Remains to be seen of course. But just the fact that argument can't be completely discarded says Madden still has a ways to go. It shouldn't be getting near-perfect ratings for "finally" being on the right track.

Also, the whole "don't pay attention to the score/grade" thing makes no sense to me - if it doesn't matter, then why assign a score/letter grade in the first place? I wouldn't want to hear a teacher say "Don't worry about the "D" I put on your test - just look at the notes I made on why I gave you that grade". The first thing most people notice on anything that's given a rating is how it was scored.
LMAO
Old 08-13-2009, 11:21 AM   #69
MVP

Tyrant8RDFL's Arena

OVR: 20

Some have said how can Madden 10 be a 9 when Madden 09 was a 9 or 8.5 depending on the site.

Well the problem there is that Madden 9 should have been a 6 , so by giving Madden 10 a 9 or 8.5 for some is accurate.

I dont have my personal score but once I play the game I will have a better idea what score this game really deserves.
Old 08-13-2009, 11:25 AM   #70
Rookie

OVR: 5

Chris,

I thought it was a well written review. Fair and balanced.

So far I have enjoyed the Demo, so I don't see a reason why I would hate the real game.
Old 08-13-2009, 11:37 AM   #71
Ion6 Studios

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicatz
Ummmm what? 2K5 and APF running animations look like C-3PO trying to carry a football. And APF commentary was 99% ported right out of 2K5. Not to mention the various problems with ******** secondary AI in 2K5. Keep trying.
Commentary even if ported is still best than M10.
About the animation: you must be blind

Last edited by mauro78; 08-13-2009 at 11:45 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-13-2009, 11:39 AM   #72
MVP

Only1LT's Arena

OVR: 16

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and this reviewer is certainly entitled to his. The majority of the comments on hear are saying that the review is fair and unbiased. To give a counterpoint, I don't think the review was quite that fair, and is a little biased.

Some of the issues in the game were not mentioned, and other issues in the game were glossed over, and some things that were said are just not true. Easily, the first thing that comes to mind is that Defenders actually see the ball in the game. Not at all true.

In no Madden game that I have ever played, including 10, does a defender "see" anything. Defenders will run routes that mirror the receiver while his back is turned to him. Defenders will also break on balls the second that you hit the pass button, again, while they have their back to the QB. There are also times when you will pass a ball to a receiver that is covered beautifully by a defender, who is actually facing the play and should be able to see the ball coming, but he will run the opposite direction that the ball is going as soon as you throw the pass. So again, what does the defense "see"? This has been going on for as long as I can remember and 10 is no different. It doesn't happen on every play, but it happens. If anything, the devs program into the defensive AI that on some plays they will read your mind and on some plays they will be dumb as dirt, just to balance the difficulty. But defenders do not "see" anything in Madden. The game is not anywhere near that sophisticated.

I don't want to break down the review word for word, and I am not saying that it is a terrible review, but just as others have stated how great a review they thought it was, I don't think it was as great as most others think.

I also think that a 9 is too high. And yes Millennium, I read the review lol. Maybe I just have a hard time with the game scoring so high when there is nothing to compare it to except the past few Maddens. Most games will score favorable if held in that light. The game is pretty solid and I am happy with the direction that I THINK that the team will take it in the future.

It is the best Madden I have played this gen and probably ever. At least it is for now until I play for longer than a week. But it isn't the best Football game I have ever played.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »