Home

NBA 2K10: Exclusive First Look (Gamespot)

This is a discussion on NBA 2K10: Exclusive First Look (Gamespot) within the NBA 2K Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 08-05-2009, 11:05 PM   #97
All Star

HMcCoy's Arena

OVR: 35
I love everything i've read so far, especially the 82games stuff.

Im getting both this year though, and my playing time (and e-devotion) will go to whichever has the most subtle or refined rubber band logic. Currently, 2K's is way too predictable, and I really can't take it anymore. I need release from the CPU's "Keep scores close" engine. Mimicking the up and down flow of an NBA game is necessary in some form, but it shouldn't kick in in such obvious, score-based situations.

Right now, if there isn't a HUGE disparity in playing style (cheeser/exploiter vs. non-cheeser/exploiter) or an unbalanced difficulty level in single player...IE playing a level that's too easy (always crush the CPU) or too hard for you (always get crushed)...the vast majority of on and offline games come down to a couple 10-12 pt leads being exchanged, which inexorably work their way down to a 1-2 possession game at the end. Without fail. No matter how ridiculous the circumstances have to be to get it there...scrubs suddenly blocking dunks...superstars missing several uncontested bunnies...suddenly getting bounced backwards three feet by even the weakest defenders...speed cheats...I'm fully done with all that crap.

Whichever game can capture the flow, without the heavy handed, easily recognizable comeback code, will have my heart in '10.

Last edited by HMcCoy; 08-05-2009 at 11:10 PM.
Old 08-05-2009, 11:06 PM   #98
Bamma

ProfessaPackMan's Arena

OVR: 36
Re: NBA 2K10 info this evening on Gamespot!

Damn, this definitely has me excited for this to come out. All I need now is some actual gameplay videos and im good. Here's just a few things I have to say about the article:

Quote:
If you're playing a crucial game against a rival, for example, and both teams are vying for a play-off spot, a good chunk of that game's commentary--at least in the beginning of the game--will focus on the rivalry, the matchup records between the two teams, and the play-off ramifications for winning and losing
Hopefully this is time specific whereas you would only hear this going on for games that would occur in like late March to the end of the season and not something you'd hear if you were playing against a team who you're tied with in the middle of January or December.

Quote:
You'll start off either as a drafted player or as a walk-on to a team's summer circuit games. In the summer league, your goal will be to impress the scouts in the hopes of getting an invite to a team's training camp
Sounds good so far. Hopefully it isn't something where even if you play like crap, you'd still get an invite to training camp but instead, maybe one of the D-League teams would pick you up(unless you have to get picked by a team who would then send you down to the D-League)thus making you have to actually earn a roster spot or an invite.

Quote:
In training camp, you'll have five games to compete in, and after each game, someone will be cut. The goal, obviously, is to make sure you're left standing after the roster trimming is finished, but even if you don't make a spot on the NBA roster, your season isn't over. If you're cut, you'll be sent to the NBA's Development League (or D-League).
I guess this answers my previous statement I made regarding this lol.

Quote:
Your time in the D-League will be spent trying to get more playing time--mainly by making the most of the minutes you do get (using a handy simulation feature, you can fast-forward to the point in the game when you actually do get on the floor, however).
I wonder if we'll have the option to either play the games ourselves or let the computer play the game and then wait for your created player to enter the game before allowing you to actually get involved in the game?

[QUOTEThey also wanted to capture the differences between how a 7-foot player moves from how a 6-foot-9-inch player gets around the court. As a result, Yao Ming will move like Yao (assuming he ever plays again, that is), Nene will move like Nene, and Steve Nash will do his thing.][/quote]
Definitely glad to hear this.

Quote:
This year, the team went out and partnered up with the NBA scouting service 82Games.com
How long before people start questioning 82games and say they're not accurate either?

Quote:
On the other side of the ball, if you're facing up against Paul Pierce controlled by the AI, you'll know his tendency will be either to push in and shoot or try a pro step move. And, depending on your position on the floor, you'll know how to try to stop him.
Now by this, do they mean that he'll pull up and try to hit the same moves everytime or in a pattern or whatever or that he'll switch up his moves and that way you're getting different looks/moves EVERY time unless he's killing you with a certain move and you can't stop it?

Quote:
The right trigger is also used for sprinting, but because turbo has been abused in the past (especially online, where you can essentially sprint endlessly), the developers are looking to make turbo more of a commodity than ever before. As a result, when sprinting, you'll notice your turbo meter depleting more rapidly than before, and if you use up your turbo completely, your player's energy will drain dramatically if you continue to sprint.
THANK YOU 2K!!!
Old 08-05-2009, 11:08 PM   #99
MVP

OVR: 11

One thing that really needs to be in NBA games is that strong side zone defense that some of the better defensive teams play

They box the other teams best offensive players into certain areas on the floor, and then quickly rotate to the three point shooter if the ball gets passed to the other side of the perimeter

As I've said in other threads, NBA games so far have only focused on individual defense and aside from the AI picking off passes there hasn't been much team D
Old 08-05-2009, 11:08 PM   #100
Books Nelson Simnation

Bornindamecca's Arena

OVR: 43

Looks like they are addressing most of the major issues. Great article.

Will I be spending 120 bucks on basketball this year?
Old 08-05-2009, 11:11 PM   #101
Sean Payton: Retribution

jmood88's Arena

OVR: 40

I just found an interview with Rob Jones and this should make DC happy:
Quote:
We got overwhelmingly positive feedback from the fans regarding the 2K Insider so for this year we have his expanded his role and have assigned him a special project that I can't talk about at this time. We feel that our guy is the best in the business when it comes to ratings and everyone will be very excited once we are able to announce what he's working on.
http://au.gamespot.com/spk,orts/blog...pdates;title;1

If I went any bigger, it would not have properly fit with my equipment, so I had to optimize. I'm okay with it, but I also know what I'm missing with those five inches. :)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-05-2009, 11:12 PM   #102
MVP

Greene_Flash03's Arena

OVR: 27

Damn! This is even harder for me to decide now! Both games (Live & 2k 10s) look very promising right now...

I need gameplay vidoes for both games, then I can decide... and oh yeah, the DEMO.
Old 08-05-2009, 11:14 PM   #103
All Star

HMcCoy's Arena

OVR: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furq
One thing that really needs to be in NBA games is that strong side zone defense that some of the better defensive teams play

They box the other teams best offensive players into certain areas on the floor, and then quickly rotate to the three point shooter if the ball gets passed to the other side of the perimeter

As I've said in other threads, NBA games so far have only focused on individual defense and aside from the AI picking off passes there hasn't been much team D
This.

Off ball defense and awareness def needs some attention.
Old 08-05-2009, 11:14 PM   #104
Rookie

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greene_Flash03
Damn! This is even harder for me to decide now! Both games (Live & 2k 10s) look very promising right now...

I need gameplay vidoes for both games, then I can decide... and oh yeah, the DEMO.
Get Both!
there both gonna be great.....( I HOPE)

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen »