Home

Black College Football - The Xperience: What's Behind the Name?

This is a discussion on Black College Football - The Xperience: What's Behind the Name? within the Other Football Games forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare
Closed Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 02:35 PM   #177
Farewell and 'ado

DocHolliday's Arena

OVR: 19
Re: Black College Football - The Xperience: What's Behind the Name?

Fair enough, I honestly never even heard the term before this game.

I don't even really watch college football so I guess I'm just not well informed.
Old 07-15-2009, 03:39 PM   #178
One Last Job

TracerBullet's Arena

OVR: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
Jesus. Its called BLACK COLLEGE FOOTBALL. Thats what the media calls it. Thats what NBC calls it when they show the Grambling/Southern game. Thats what ESPN calls it: http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3697955. Thats what its called.

It would be idiotic to call it anything else. No one calls it HBCU football or any other name. There were no focus groups for the title because no one who is familiar with Black College Football would think the title is controversial. White or Black.

I cant believe that this is an 18 page thread. Seriously? Anyone with Google can recognize that MEAC, SWAC and SIAC football is called Black College Football.
Thank You aholbert. It's kinda funny/sad though that if you look at the comments for that article you posted, their board reminds me of this one. I think America needs to be more well informed.
Old 07-15-2009, 07:12 PM   #179
Pro

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunt
I am proud that in America after the Civil War there were progressive white and black people that started these institutions to educate freed slaves. This is American history.
Agreed. I must say, what would those who died (on either side) think of this argument.

If you don't know what a HBCU is, then you don't understand the concept of the title. At one point our colleges were segregated, its that simple. The HBCU's continue to keep a tradition (that extends beyond football) alive.

Why people of either color have to make it more than it is to defend or defame it is beyond me. By doing that go stop short of being racist because your simply being ignorant. To be a true racist you should be informed about a situation and make your decision based solely a persons race , sex, gender, or sexual preference.
Old 07-15-2009, 07:56 PM   #180
Pro

slickkill77's Arena

OVR: 7
Perhaps I missed something, but why is Xperience spelled wrong?

I have nothing against the title other than that because that just looks stupid.
Old 07-15-2009, 08:32 PM   #181
Rookie

i guess you must think the Xgames on ESPN or any of the multitude of "xtreme" products marketed in the us are stupid too. but its simply a marketing tool just like the XFL
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-15-2009, 08:44 PM   #182
All Star

rockchisler's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Jesus. Its called BLACK COLLEGE FOOTBALL. Thats what the media calls it. Thats what NBC calls it when they show the Grambling/Southern game. Thats what ESPN calls it: http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3697955. Thats what its called.

It would be idiotic to call it anything else. No one calls it HBCU football or any other name. There were no focus groups for the title because no one who is familiar with Black College Football would think the title is controversial. White or Black.

I cant believe that this is an 18 page thread. Seriously? Anyone with Google can recognize that MEAC, SWAC and SIAC football is called Black College Football.
You right aholbert but Some people are just not smart, no matter how much you teach them and show them they just don't get it.

Follow me on www.Twitter.com/Rockchisler

Just type [ SPOILER ] and [ / SPOILER ], without any spaces.

ROOKIE KILLER
Old 07-15-2009, 10:49 PM   #183
Rookie

Quote:

you know why there is a 18 page thread its cally angry white man syndrome from oxford

Oxford English Dictionary, Oxford University Press, 2006,"angry white male n. (also with capital initials) Polit. (orig. and chiefly U.S.) a (usually working-class) white man with-right wing or reactionary views (typically including opposition to liberal anti-discriminatory policies), esp. viewed as representing an influential class of voter"

just as a lot of blacks in the 80's and 90's were quick to use the race card whites are quick to play the reverse discrimination card. anytime blacks try to assert hemseves here comes the angry white male saying THEY are being repressed. its very common especially online its easy to say things you truly feel behind a monitor.

i wouldnt say they are all racist but they have issues. issues thinking that things are equal and they surely are not
Old 07-16-2009, 06:07 AM   #184
All Star

HMcCoy's Arena

OVR: 35

Quote:
No offense, DH but your opinion is backed by anything. Football involving those schools is called Black College Football. There is no controversy and no intent by the developers. Like I said anyone who is familar with football at those schools knows its called BCF.
If it offends, shouldn't that matter? And if not, why not?

I may be alone, but I hate hypocrisy more than I hate racism. While Pikes views are a bit myopic, I can agree that political correctness is very one-sided. No one person or group should have the end-all opinon on what is offensive, IMO. I certainly don't have a problem with the term HBCU, but to simply dismiss others feelings on the matter is just wrong.

It seems to me the dissenters seem to be more upset with the perceived hypocrisy vs. being genuinely offended by the label though, which is a completely different animal...there are hypersensitive types on both sides. Angry white man and angry black man indeed. But even though a certain poster really is playing the victim card by choosing to focus just on Rockchislers comments while ignoring the 7 or 8 other excellent responses to his posts...we really should be able to discuss this without name-calling and cheapshots.
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games »