Home

Black College Football - The Xperience: What's Behind the Name?

This is a discussion on Black College Football - The Xperience: What's Behind the Name? within the Other Football Games forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare
Closed Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 04:47 PM   #153
Rookie

OVR: 8
ummm... for those white folks who don't know.. if you do go to a HBCU you qualify for a minority grant / scholarship.. lol.. no BS.. for real.. and also the class of 2008 morehouse college, white guy was the top grad.. and he went there because he WANTED to..

Morgan State, another HBCU has one of the top rated engineering programs on the East Coast..

Coppin State - Won the 2005 EDUCASE award for IT excellence (while i was employed there in IT btw).. and for all of you who dont know.. the previous 2 winners were PRINCETON.. and MIT..

HBCU stands for tradition and excellence. Paying homage to your history. Its whites that called them Black schools and N word schools.. not black folks..

and technically.. EVERY SCHOOL IN EASPORTS GAME is a HWCU.. but the majority doesnt have to make the distinction of color or race.. and there are some HB frats and sororities as well as HL ones and HA ones in america..

Historically we wear it as a badge of honor, not to divide but to show you today that we made it, and thrived IN SPITE of the times and circumstances. To show you that we are just like you, no different.

The guy who said about the rebel flag. once it was incorporated by racist in the 40's and 50's (because in alot of klan photos in the 20's and 30's the rebel flag is non-existant) we have no problem of you loving and celebrating your ethnicity and your southern heritage, but dont get upset when we choose not to partake.. because your history contains our misery.. When one speaks historically of State's rights n such, they speak of only one right.. the right to own people.
Old 07-13-2009, 04:51 PM   #154
Rookie

Darkeus's Arena

OVR: 5

This is a sad thread. The game is not racist, let's start that off real quick. The name in no way promotes the game in a racist fashion and it does seem that some people who have posted in this thread need to educate themselves. If I see one more reference to "Why isn't there any Historically White College Game" I am going to scream! Until America was desegregated, ALMOST ALL COLLEGES AND UNIVERSITIES IN THE USA WERE HISTORICALLY WHITE. The HBCU were created to give blacks an opportunity to gain an education because they had NO options at any other school at that time. Please drop this strawman argument because it is a very ignorant opinion.

Okay, with that said, the game looks like it might be decent and it is a refreshing alternative to the monopoly that EA has on the football world when concerning video games. The fact that it is also done with the Unreal engine is also fascinating and I look forward to see how it works used in this way. Worth a rental no doubt. I'll give any football video game its fair shake. I hope this does well.
Old 07-13-2009, 06:24 PM   #155
Pro

OVR: 9
Re: Black College Football - The Xperience: What's Behind the Name?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDog10
The game actually looks decent, though I probably won't pick it up because NCAA and Madden will take up enough of my game playing time.

I really don't care for the title though - not because I think it's racist, but because they're really only marketing the game to black people. Obviously this article was informative and explained what the game is all about, but for the average person that doesn't read OS and sees this game in the store - especially if they aren't black - it's probably not going to generate any interest for them to want to buy it. Am I wrong?

Anyway, I will wait to see some impressions of this game and if I like what I see, I may rent it. But, I have a hard time getting into any sports games that don't have a dynasty option.
They arent marketting it to black poeple. its being marketted to people that attended an HBCU.
Old 07-13-2009, 06:31 PM   #156
RIP Brodie!!!

CaptainZombie's Arena

OVR: 49

I have read almost this entire thread and the sad thing is that nobody cares to talk about the gameplay. Who cares if this game is loaded with white or black people. Granted I understand that the original article talks about the history. To have another decent football game release is what's also important here.
Old 07-13-2009, 07:16 PM   #157
Rookie

*disclaimer* Not to bash anyone but I cant help but my head about those who say that this is just a niche game. I would respectfully disagree b/c if you say that the game is a niche game then you are saying that the teams that it represents are niche teams meaning that the athletes only cater to a very small and select audience, which I do not believe. In essence you are saying that others who cover the broad sport of football would not be interested in the players on the teams. We all know that this could not be farther from the truth, think about how many scouts,GMs, and coaches watch and draft guys from these very schools. My point is don't call this a niche game b/c you haven't heard about it, seen it for yourself, or just don't like the product. Remember just b/c you dont support the product doesn't mean that others shouldn't or won't.
Old 07-13-2009, 10:03 PM   #158
Banned

Let me try this again.

In no way do I think the title of this game is racist. Is it somewhat exclusionary? I think so, yes. But exclusionary and racist are very different things. People have called NCAA 10 "HWCF" but that's just not right when you consider the percentage of black players on these teams, the fact that schools are striving more than ever for racial diversity, and the small fact that in most years, a black player is featured on the cover of NCAA. And there's no conspiracy as to why no HBC's are included in NCAA....because there are no D1AA teams at all in the game, up until this year if what I have heard is correct. And in the PS2 version, they have been there for sometime. Although I wonder if that will change now, considering this companies supposedly signed an exclusive deal with these schools.

If you look at my first post, you'll see that all I said was that I think the term 'HBC' is really not necessary in this day and age. It really has nothing to do with whether or not schools like Notre Dame or Texas or wherever are historically white or not---they do not label themselves as such because it unneccessary (as has been said verbatim here) because everyone knows their history. My point is, that I know Grambling's place in history without it being labled for me. There's nothing wrong with celebrating what these schools did in incredible circumstances. I would never say otherwise. But at what point do you just move on and becoming just Grambling or just Central State? The guy above me said it pretty well....eventually, I would think they would want to just call themselves a university like any other. But that's one point of view, and a worthless one at that.

That was all I ever really had to say, then I got way off course when folks start wanting to take it from there. For that I publicly apologize. Call it 'playing the victim' role or whatever. I call it manning up.

On the other hand, it is more than just a little dissapointing that someone can call others inbred and uneducated with no public rebuke from the moderators here, while I got not one, but two rebukes---including one that called me a troll and another that accused me of insulting others when I did nothing of the sort here in this thread. But did I email another member here? Yes I did. Did I get ugly with the guy? Yep, I did. Did I go too far? Probably so. I wouldn't do it again, but sometimes you do stupid crap in the heat of the moment, and having my intelligence questioned certainly riled me up.

But in terms of this thread, it was a sorry display of moderating when one person is rebuked as if he's the only problem here and the others are given a free pass. Nothing I did here was 'trolling'. I debated my side of things sincerely, and responded to the avalanche of criticism I received for it. No one else was expected to be silent here while people quoted them and insulted them. And if saying so earns me a ban so be it--but I'll be damned if I take that sort of thing in silence just so I can come here and add to your website hit count and boost your ad revenues. There are other places to get video game sports info.

Frankly, if this website is only tolerant of one point of view then you guys need to say so in your TOS. Or not post articles like this that you know are going to bring about controversy.

And a final bit of history about me, just so we can put to rest the 'bitter' white guy with no love for black folks sentiment that seems to be swirling here. As I mentioned before, I ended up attending a small school near where I grew up. While I was there, I served as the VP of Recruitment for my fraternity. The chapter was 60+ years old and had never had a single black member in that entire time. I wanted to change that. So I set about doing my best to recruit black men who I thought would be an asset to my fraternity. It wasn't easy. Most of the guys I talked to seem genuinely apprehensive of how they would be viewed if they joined my fraternity. Frankly, I was worried too what it would do to the image of the fraternity considering this was something that hadn't been done before. But by the end of it all, we initiated two black men that year, Torrance and Andre. I took both as my little brothers. And while Torrance left after one year to attend another school, Andre and I are good friends to this day. And in the 8 years I have known him, don't think a myriad of race-related issue discussions haven't come up. We've hashed it all out, disagreeing sometimes and agreeing sometimes too. This particular discussion never came up, but I am pretty sure that whether Andre agreed or not, he would have shown a good bit more respect of the opposing viewpoint than some of you have shown. So however you view me, know that I've at least done something, however small or insignificant it may seem to you, to practice what I preach.

Last edited by pike; 07-13-2009 at 10:11 PM.
Old 07-13-2009, 10:24 PM   #159
Rookie

OVR: 7
sneezor01......

well lest look at howmany players from HBCU's were drafted last year (2009 a good year) a WHOPPING 3 out of 256 draft picks and over 40 HBCU's . thats the same amount for the university of hawaii a small school i dare say.

and when was the last time you saw 2 HBCU's on espn? HBCU's are no longer in EA's NCAA series so how is it not a niche?

where else are he schools represented in a video game?
Old 07-13-2009, 10:48 PM   #160
Rookie

OVR: 7
pike....

i have seen you post repetadly and you have stated your thoughts clearly. however and this is the irony you fail to grasp the "black" experiance college football or oherwise.

to touch upon the while HWC thing the reason why you will never hear it because those school are (or at least should be) ashamed of that history. hey want to forge i and move on, for 1 reason $$$$$$ scholls like Teaxs and Ole Miss who have been mentioned repeatedly in this thread have Black alumni BOOSTERS who donate MILLIONS to remind those boosers of that pastt would e folly

wih HBCU's the idea is to REMIND Blacks of a time when as a people getting an education was a struggle a near impossibility, it is to remind them of the struggle that their forefathers went thru so hat they now can not only go to HBCUs but harvard or yale

is this what whie america wants to see? no. because it can be viewed as black people reminding whites of the evils commited by past generations.

to another point the HWC have black players it doesnt change he past just as HBCU's have white players it doesn change the fact that HBCUs are still needed. why do you ask? because a lot of blacks come from broken homes, no fathers typically, an HBCU is an opportunity to see dozens of positive male role models in he Black community that a lot of young Black men and women dont see everyday

i applaud you for standing your ground however with that steadfastness come a form of intolerance. you have your beliefs and you hold to them. as Malcom X said " I have more respect for a man who tells me where he stands, even if he is wrong"
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games »