Home

Black College Football - The Xperience: What's Behind the Name?

This is a discussion on Black College Football - The Xperience: What's Behind the Name? within the Other Football Games forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare
Closed Thread

Old 07-11-2009, 12:08 AM   #25
Banned

OVR: 5
I'm not going the racist route here. But I do think a double standard exists here of what is accepted and what is not accepted when it comes to the distinction between "Historically Black" Colleges, "Black" Entertainment Television, the constant use of the "N" word in rap music, and so on.

If someone called Notre Dame or Harvard "Historically" White Schools, there'd be a problem. If such a thing as "White Entertainment" Television existed, there'd be a backlash. And when a white DJ uses language to describe black female basketball players that is no different than how rappers describe black females in general, he nearly loses his job.

The list goes on.

So what do I object to? Nothing really. It is no skin off my back that they call this game whatever they want. But I get sick of the constant 'woe is me' attitude in concerns to racism that black people in general always seem to fall back on whenever something makes them look bad---Rev. Wright for example. And yet, they still categorize their 'historically black' colleges as just that. Instead of just, say, a college like any other.

And by the way...I went to LA Tech for a year, right next door to Grambling. Had some friends from work over there at the time and used to go to the odd party with the Phi Beta Sigmas. Maybe saw one or two white students in that year who were students there. Are these schools segregating themselves? Maybe not by barring admission, but they certainly are by holding onto an antiquated term like "Historically Black" Colleges. I live about 30 miles from UAPB, another HBC. Same story as Grambling.

Frankly, the term should have been left in the last century. Same goes for BET. Until that starts happening, I think the term "reverse racism" will only continue to gain steam---especially with people like Al Sharpton and Rev. Wright making the kind of headlines they do.

Anyway, take it for what it is. And don't begin to label me a racist, as I'm nothing of the sort.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-11-2009, 12:13 AM   #26
Rookie

OVR: 3
Re: Black College Football - The Xperience: What's Behind the Name?

Well there is a pretty big difference between BCFX and a hypothetical WCFX IMO. Mainly because any Historically white colleges would have been created by excluding other races. While with BCFX you're dealing with those who were excluded.
Old 07-11-2009, 12:15 AM   #27
Banned

And another thing.....

Stop playing the 'white' folks go to these schools too card....

Point out the white person on the cover for me, if that is the route you are taking here.

Again, these schools may not be segregating in the normal sense, but make no mistake, as the cover to this game says it all.

BTW...I was listening to Pandora on the way home...listening to my Ice Cube channel (who ironically I think hates white people like me) and he had a song on with Snoop Dogg. Snoop was wailing on about a 'cracker'. LOL, can you imagine what would happen if John Mayer dropped the 'N' bomb in a song?

*sigh* sorry, I'm getting repetitive here.
Old 07-11-2009, 12:19 AM   #28
All Star

rockchisler's Arena

OVR: 40

apologies to ufgators and t11 I was reading to fast, my bad..feel like a idiot.

Follow me on www.Twitter.com/Rockchisler

Just type [ SPOILER ] and [ / SPOILER ], without any spaces.

ROOKIE KILLER
Old 07-11-2009, 12:26 AM   #29
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by raz77
Well there is a pretty big difference between BCFX and a hypothetical WCFX IMO. Mainly because any Historically white colleges would have been created by excluding other races. While with BCFX you're dealing with those who were excluded.
No, at this point in history you are not. No one attending Grambling or UAPB has been excluded from anywhere else. And true, no is being excluded from these schools by any rule or regulation.

But it is common sense that, all other things being equal (academics for instance)---if I'm a white person, I'm not going to be nearly as comfortable going somewhere that designates itself as a "Black" College. And of course then the question is, is that my fault or the school's. I don't know exactly, but I tend to think it's the schools fault, because they are the one introducing this element, not me as the white student.

The same goes for churches. Here in the south, we still have churches they call themselves 'Black' churches. And all over the country, black fraternities do not participate in the Inter-Fraternity or Pan-Hellenic councils of their schools, but rather in their own 'black fraternity' organizations.

Like I said, the list goes on. But the theme is the same: black people have gone from being segregated, to segregating themselves. And I think that is sad--though not entirely their fault as a culture to be sure.

At this point, I simply think it is antiquated to have these labels in a time when we are lead by a black man named Obama.

My whole point in this, is that these schools need to drop the label. It began in an entirely different time and place, and has no more significance now than the Rebel flag does (which has, for years, been mislabled and abused as a symbol of racism--which it is certainly not. Anyone who has truly studied the Civil War knows that racism was a tiny, tiny fraction of the issues which lead to the conflict. The Union did NOT go to war with the South to free the slaves--it was simply a small part of the package that, over time, was crafted into the central theme of the conflict. I will challenge anyone to debate that historical fact. The average white Southerner at the time lived in conditions that, while not as bad as most black people of the time, was still very deplorable and only worsened after the war.)

Last edited by pike; 07-11-2009 at 12:29 AM.
Old 07-11-2009, 12:32 AM   #30
One Last Job

TracerBullet's Arena

OVR: 37
No offense taken rockchisler. Happens to me all the time haha.
Old 07-11-2009, 12:39 AM   #31
All Star

rockchisler's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by pike
No, at this point in history you are not. No one attending Grambling or UAPB has been excluded from anywhere else. And true, no is being excluded from these schools by any rule or regulation.

But it is common sense that, all other things being equal (academics for instance)---if I'm a white person, I'm not going to be nearly as comfortable going somewhere that designates itself as a "Black" College. And of course then the question is, is that my fault or the school's. I don't know exactly, but I tend to think it's the schools fault, because they are the one introducing this element, not me as the white student.

The same goes for churches. Here in the south, we still have churches they call themselves 'Black' churches. And all over the country, black fraternities do not participate in the Inter-Fraternity or Pan-Hellenic councils of their schools, but rather in their own 'black fraternity' organizations.

Like I said, the list goes on. But the theme is the same: black people have gone from being segregated, to segregating themselves. And I think that is sad--though not entirely their fault as a culture to be sure.

At this point, I simply think it is antiquated to have these labels in a time when we are lead by a black man named Obama.

My whole point in this, is that these schools need to drop the label. It began in an entirely different time and place, and has no more significance now than the Rebel flag does (which has, for years, been mislabled and abused as a symbol of racism--which it is certainly not. Anyone who has truly studied the Civil War knows that racism was a tiny, tiny fraction of the issues which lead to the conflict. The Union did NOT go to war with the South to free the slaves--it was simply a small part of the package that, over time, was crafted into the central theme of the conflict. I will challenge anyone to debate that historical fact. The average white Southerner at the time lived in conditions that, while not as bad as most black people of the time, was still very deplorable and only worsened after the war.)
Dude I think you are completely missing the point and no one can change it or open your mind, also you wont feel comfortable going to a school that consider itself a black college? Aww poor feelings, like black people were comfortable desegregating Ole Miss. Matter of fact how bout Black students that go to schools that were segregated just not to long ago. Your lost, heaven forbid you have to be in a area were you are a minority, oh wait we as Black people do that our whole lives. Thanks

ROOKIE KILLER
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-11-2009, 12:41 AM   #32
All Star

rockchisler's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ufgators253
No offense taken rockchisler. Happens to me all the time haha.
Naw man I should have read it all the way...my bad

ROOKIE KILLER
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games »