Home

NFL Antitrust: What it Means for the Sports Video Game Industry

This is a discussion on NFL Antitrust: What it Means for the Sports Video Game Industry within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 04-16-2009, 04:48 AM   #65

SouthernBrick's Arena

OVR: 42
Re: NFL Antitrust: What it Means for the Sports Video Game Industry

EA is finally wising up.

Could be coincidence, but EA just seems like that type of company that knows when to hold em and when to fold em. They have been holding for a long time with the back of the box features and the dev's probably have to bend to there ways.

But now that the time is getting closer that they may lose there Exclusive Rights they are now folding and bending to our ways rather than there's.
They have heard our voice and they are responding b/c they know if they lose that Lisence that 2k may come back strong and they don't want that.

To EA its all about sales, but now that they see that 2k can eventually take alot of money from them if they lose this battle in the football genre.

And thats not in EA's best interest and now they know they have to just straight up make a better game than 2k or at least up to that level. After the exclusive lisence EA was like well we own the NFL rights we can do whatever to make the game look flashy and sell without interuption of 2k.

Now toward the end of there exclusive rights its more about physics, sim and realism more than ever...

I may be dead wrong but its just my opinon on why we are getting the best madden(possibly football game) up to date this year.

My expectations of this madden is very high this year and they have always had the teams to do it until the exclusive rights took place, and it went downhill from there.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-16-2009, 05:37 AM   #66
Banned

OVR: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swingking77
Well said, and in a nutshell, the only argument that makes any sence... That being said, they did not attack 2K's ability to make a football game, only the licences to make "official" league games... Hence why I stated that they should make the generic football game and let people have total control of how to mod it... Since they're not putting out, at the very least, SOMETHING to compete with Madden they are also purpetuating the monopoly, which in the end, as you said yourself, screws gamers... As such, they're both douche bags for jamming it to the gaming community...
Not allowed, 2K would get sued.
Old 04-17-2009, 11:25 AM   #67
MVP

xylocaine's Arena

OVR: 12
please let this come true...
Old 04-17-2009, 01:45 PM   #68
Rookie

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derrville
Not allowed, 2K would get sued.
Not at all... EA owns the rights to NFL football, not the sport itself. It's no different then having people mod the names in NCAA sports titles... Though I woud be interested in seeing where you came up with this notion... Or are you just making an assumption here...
Old 04-17-2009, 03:34 PM   #69
Staff Writer

OVR: 29
The Supreme Court has asserted that they shall view each professional sports league one case at a time and each league facet at time.

So NCAA would be a whole different issue.

What the Supreme Court says is the law is the law lol. I love the ideas here though guys. I think 2k could still be able to come back with titles with full customization and some likenesses to the NFL. They have a great engine for their game, it just needs fine tuning and more features.

They have taken hits though to produce the games and so who knows what the future holds.
Old 04-17-2009, 03:43 PM   #70
Banned

OVR: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swingking77
Not at all... EA owns the rights to NFL football, not the sport itself. It's no different then having people mod the names in NCAA sports titles... Though I woud be interested in seeing where you came up with this notion... Or are you just making an assumption here...
No Someone asked the Madden devs if they could edit the uniforms but keep the logo, and EA said no cause if a vid popped out somewhere on youtube where the cowboys were pink EA would be in alot of trouble.

So if EA who has the license would get in trouble, wouldnt a company that doesnt have the license expect the same?
Old 04-17-2009, 03:53 PM   #71
Hall Of Fame

Brandwin's Arena

OVR: 50

Sorry, I won't buy an NFL game with out all the teams and players.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-17-2009, 06:09 PM   #72
Pro

OVR: 22
Awesome if we could have more NFL games to choose from, I personally preferred NFL2k series, but in general I am for competetion, as itīs the driving force pushing games forward.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »