Home

NHL 09: Goalies Wanted, Will Train

This is a discussion on NHL 09: Goalies Wanted, Will Train within the EA Sports NHL Legacy forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 03-26-2009, 12:52 PM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 5
i would like to play goalie or player but it seems that people playing are just not that serious. (the ones I played with/against) Maybe I havent got with the right crowd but I would love to play with a serious team or a serious league
Old 03-27-2009, 04:45 AM   #10
Rookie

OVR: 3
Re: NHL 09: Goalies Wanted, Will Train

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey99
My problem with playing net is that you don't have to do anything to make a save. And as was pointed above, it actually hurts you more to try and make a save. That would be like me being able to skate into the crease and there be a auto-shot button, what's the point?

Goalies have to be quick on the reflexes to see/know where the puck is going. As it is now with NHL 09, all you have to do is be in "position" and allow the game to decide if it wants to make the save for you. If we are allowing the game to make the save, why play with human goalie at all?
It wouldn't be practical to force people to make saves with the right stick. Any lag would kill you and you would pretty much have to try to make a save before they even shoot. It's already hard enough to play goalie as it is, I don't think they need to make it harder.

The big problem with goalie currently is that one timers and cross crease passes are overly difficult to stop. It needs to be tweaked for 2010 to make getting over easier to compensate for lag and remove the post magnet nonsense. However goalies should be a bit easier to score on when they are in good position. NHL goalies all have great positioning almost all the time, but they still get scored on because of defensive breakdowns. Plus, there is no defense for the perfect shot.
Old 04-09-2009, 09:20 PM   #11
Rookie

OVR: 3

Playing goal gets lonely if you're on a good team. lol
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-14-2009, 09:12 AM   #12
Rookie

OVR: 2
Interesting read. I would however, somewhat disagree about the insignificance of the right analog stick. I've found several good situations where using the right analog stick to go butterfly is the best method of stopping certain shots. The main reason for this is the goalie tendency to cover the puck when pulling down to be in butterfly. I've found this most helpful for shots from the point, which are often deflected low on the way to the net. Being in the butterfly help close the 5 hole in that situation and you have a higher percentage chance of covering it up.

The second situation I use butterfly is when the offensive forward is moving from a low corner to the front of the net. Once the skater come close to the near post, I go into the butterfly and move towards him. I've found this is very effective against the shot to the far side.

Thanks for the article, I appreciate the series as a whole and especially the one on the defense.

Jtric
Old 04-16-2009, 04:24 PM   #13
Some say he...

kerosene31's Arena

OVR: 20

I love playing goalie floor hockey, but in NHL 09 it is just terrible.

There are just so many things that you just can't simulate with a controller.

The game's producer is a former goalie, so it isn't like they don't have experience.

The biggest problem I had with it vs real life is screens. Screens are so effective against humans because you can't move your head. In the real world, you can duck down, move your head to get a clear view of the puck.

Throw in all the goofy rebounding and post sticking... ugh.
Old 04-16-2009, 08:00 PM   #14
Banned

steveeee's Arena

OVR: 9

I wish the goalie controls were more like NHL 94 to be honest.. playng manual goalie back in the day was so fun and easy to master.

i actually would love to play goalie more but the controls are to difficult to master.. well it's not only that but they are not intuitive as they should be... for example, I think I should make the save but I didn't because the controls are lacking to say the least

Last edited by steveeee; 04-16-2009 at 08:04 PM.
Old 04-18-2009, 01:16 PM   #15
Banned

steveeee's Arena

OVR: 9

haha I took the advice of article and started be a pro goalie offline on superstar. I took offsides off and icing off so I would even get more shots on me for practice and I actually have gotten really good at it offline. So then I go online thinking I'm going to be good but to come to find out it's different. lol I am not as good without my blue position arrow

any ways, I agree with this and it works very well

Quote:
The second situation I use butterfly is when the offensive forward is moving from a low corner to the front of the net. Once the skater come close to the near post, I go into the butterfly and move towards him. I've found this is very effective against the shot to the far side.

ok.. back to offline mode without the blue arrow now. geeeeeez.. I thought I was on to something.

Last edited by steveeee; 04-18-2009 at 01:24 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-30-2009, 06:54 AM   #16
Rookie

OVR: 1
PLEASE HELP.....
Good advice on this post . I play goalie all the time in NHL 09 cause I love the challenge . The cross ice passes are nearly impossible to stop. I have played hockey for a long time so I know a lot about angles and anticipating a play but that can only help you so much . It is extremly difficult to get a good grade in your stats while playing goalie. The only way to get an a is to stop everything and get and assist on a play by making a long ice pass after the other team has dumped it in. With that being said ......I'm trying to figure out how the hell you put your paddle down, like the computer does, when the puck is dumped in on you . I have given up some weak bobble goals by trying to stop the puck or cover it in previous games . IF ANY BODY KNOWS COULD THEY PLEASE TELL ME. Is it a puck playing stat? Does it do it automatically?can only the computer do it?

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy »