Home

NFL Antitrust: What it Means for the Sports Video Game Industry

This is a discussion on NFL Antitrust: What it Means for the Sports Video Game Industry within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 04-13-2009, 12:38 PM   #25
Banned

OVR: 9
No team would opt out of any NFL games, so stop worrying
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-13-2009, 12:41 PM   #26
Banned

OVR: 16
LONG LIVE NFL 2K!!!
Old 04-13-2009, 12:58 PM   #27
MVP

elgreazy1's Arena

OVR: 28
This is an ongoing situation I've been following for quite some time.

Yes, I'm more of a fan of 2K football games, but that's not to say I'm a "fanboy". Simply put, I will buy & play the BEST TITLE for a sports game, whether that be Madden, Blitz, APF, Back Breaker, Tecmo, etc. For EA to buy up exclusive licensing in the manner in which they did (NFL, AFL, NCAA football & ESPN) goes to show how desperate they were to monopolize & put a strangle-hold on the football gaming market. Instead of showing up to play, they took the ball home & locked the gates up to the field.

When there is no competition, there is no strive for excellence. In this case of football gaming, we, as fans, lose because there is no competition. The next-gen Madden titles have been under-whelming to say the least, and I believe it's simply because they've had no reason to work hard anymore.

Last edited by elgreazy1; 04-13-2009 at 01:00 PM.
Old 04-13-2009, 01:10 PM   #28
Rookie

buzzguy's Arena

OVR: 12
Some of you guys are spoiled! I remember the dark days of sports gaming (early 90's) when we were lucky to get either: A) real players or B) real teams. Not both!
Ha! You kids these days!
Old 04-13-2009, 01:16 PM   #29
#HTownTakeover #YWCF

coogrfan's Arena

OVR: 27
Re: NFL Antitrust: What it Means for the Sports Video Game Industry

Quote:
Originally Posted by elgreazy1

Yes, I'm more of a fan of 2K football games, but that's not to say I'm a "fanboy". Simply put, I will buy & play the BEST TITLE for a sports game, whether that be Madden, Blitz, APF, Back Breaker, Tecmo, etc. For EA to buy up exclusive licensing in the manner in which they did (NFL, AFL, NCAA football & ESPN) goes to show how desperate they were to monopolize & put a strangle-hold on the football gaming market. Instead of showing up to play, they took the ball home & locked the gates up to the field.

When there is no competition, there is no strive for excellence. In this case of football gaming, we, as fans, lose because there is no competition. The next-gen Madden titles have been under-whelming to say the least, and I believe it's simply because they've had no reason to work hard anymore.
So because you're unhappy with the state of football video games, you would be in favor of a Supreme Court ruling that would effectively tell sports leagues that they do not have the right to market their intellectual property rights as they see fit?

You guys really need to think about the larger ramifications of a win by American Needle. There's a lot more at stake here than just NFL 2k__.
Old 04-13-2009, 01:18 PM   #30
MVP

noplace's Arena

OVR: 13

I hope this happens. I have not been able to enjoy football gaming since 2k5. EA can still do what they do but let 2ksports & others into the market. Its not like many EA fans are going to switch up anyway, regardless of what EA puts out they will buy it.

Nebraska Cornhuskers
Washington Redskins
Miami Heat
Old 04-13-2009, 01:23 PM   #31
CNFL Commissioner

XtremeDunkz's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by elgreazy1

so much wrong with this argument but I refuse to beat the dead horse.

Twitch

Twitter

NFL Green Bay Packers

NBA Philadelphia 76ers

MLB Philladelphia Phillies

NHL Philadelphia Flyers
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-13-2009, 01:23 PM   #32
Rookie

OVR: 6

I would pay $100 for an NFL game done by the same team that developed 2k5, even if it means not having all the NFL teams, heck I would never buy Madden again if All Pro Football had a franchise/dynasty. To me that is the best playing football game ever.

Ofcourse we would need the customizable tools that a winning eleven/PES gives to their games as well...

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »