Home

NHL 09: The Lonely Defenseman

This is a discussion on NHL 09: The Lonely Defenseman within the EA Sports NHL Legacy forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 04-02-2009, 06:30 PM   #9
Rookie

blinkfan77's Arena

OVR: 7
Also, if you are playing OTP, and you are a D-man, and you jump in the rush, a good teammate playing forward, or strong or weak side D, will shift over to cover your back when needed. This is why playing as a real team is so much fun and pays dividends. I LOVE playing Defense.
Old 04-02-2009, 07:58 PM   #10
MVP

LanteriX's Arena

OVR: 15
Re: NHL 09: The Lonely Defenseman

I play pretty much textbook D, but I only enjoy it when I play with a club. Nothing like being completely left out of the game on the offensive end when you play with random OTPers that don't understand what a pass back to the point is.
Old 04-02-2009, 10:24 PM   #11
MVP

OVR: 24

My EASHL team uses the defensemen a lot in the offensive zone, luckily we have 5-6 guys who always play defense. I'm a forward, and I try to keep them involved, and someone always covers.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-03-2009, 04:50 AM   #12
Rookie

OVR: 6

I'm primarily a forward, but since I have over 150 games on defense I grew to understand and appreciate how the everyday dmen grind it on a daily basis. If a talented offensively dman gets the puck and has a chance to score especially after a turnover you have to let them go for it. Circling around the neutral zone so that a forward skates it in usually just leads to a lesser scoring opportunity or a stupid turnover and you don't even register a shot at all. Many division one teams with their drama queen forwards are guilty of this as very few top teams really utilize their defense at all to their full potential. The teams that do are the elite teams.
Old 04-03-2009, 08:36 AM   #13
Rookie

OVR: 7
Although I have not yet ventured into the ranks of the EASHL, I have been playing a pretty lengthy be-a-pro mode as an offensive defenseman, and I have to say that your points are spot on.

The one point I do disagree with (slightly) is the position in the offensive zone. You are largely correct, however there are some instances when you can slip inside to a high-percentage area for a wrist shot or one-timer, and still be okay to retreat to the proper position. These opportunities occur mostly on the power play, but every so often (maybe twice a game), you can find a good scoring opportunity in 5-on-5 situations.

You really have to be certain though, because ill-timed advance or offensive zone turnover can be disastrous.
Old 04-03-2009, 09:44 AM   #14
Hall Of Fame

Money99's Arena

OVR: 37

Great article.

I'm someone that enjoys playing Defense in EASHL.

I have a problem with pinching too often at times, but I try my best to play good D and jump in when I can.
Old 04-03-2009, 10:31 AM   #15
MVP

fugazi's Arena

OVR: 15

sorry guys...i wish i had next gen and some free-time, bc i am a very good video game hockey defender and enjoy it. i would have absolutely no problem playing D all day.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-03-2009, 02:58 PM   #16
MVP

OVR: 22

I'm new to NHL 09 but I love playing D. In the be a pro mode I play D for my team and whenever I get into a team game online I have no problems with playing D. Maybe it's because I was a D pole in lax and the pleasure I got from protecting the net, laying out any midi or attacker as they came down the middle, and taking the ball across the field with the option to pass off or shoot is the reason why I heart D. If anybody needs someone to play D on their team I am up to the challenge, but like I said, I'm still pretty new to this game. GT: White Walls 420

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy »