Home

Why I'm Done With NBA Basketball This Year: NBA 2K9

This is a discussion on Why I'm Done With NBA Basketball This Year: NBA 2K9 within the NBA 2K Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 03-27-2009, 05:06 PM   #105
SimWorld Sports Inc - CEO

ronyell's Arena

OVR: 21
Re: Why I'm Done With NBA Basketball This Year: NBA 2K9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican
1. Stop switching in situations in which they shouldn't switch. We know the issues with the CPU switching for no reason
Quote:

2. Help defense

That covers a lot of issues right there

said i would stay away but i just couldn't ... the switching issue is one of those "happy medium" things IMO.

all the crazy switching seems to happen because of the PG automatically running ALL the way to the paint to fix the fast break issue from last year... they just over did it. they also switch because the help D DOES come but the problem is that when that help D comes they are unaware of where the ballhandler is & where THIER man is & the relation between the 2. then they go into that animation & switch defenders. (that to me sounds like an EASY fix for next yera... it was trial & error)

if anything i think the defensive awarness rating should be more defined and noticeable to solve some of the issues otside of foot planting issues & collision detection being taken out.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-27-2009, 05:12 PM   #106
GSW
Simnation

GSW's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronyell
said i would stay away but i just couldn't ... the switching issue is one of those "happy medium" things IMO.

all the crazy switching seems to happen because of the PG automatically running ALL the way to the paint to fix the fast break issue from last year... they just over did it. they also switch because the help D DOES come but the problem is that when that help D comes they are unaware of where the ballhandler is & where THIER man is & the relation between the 2. then they go into that animation & switch defenders. (that to me sounds like an EASY fix for next yera... it was trial & error)

if anything i think the defensive awarness rating should be more defined and noticeable to solve some of the issues otside of foot planting issues & collision detection being taken out.
it also happens in half court sets if the computer doesnt feel you are guarding your man close enough.

Re: ratings... i personally think they shoudl re-do the ratings system completly like live as it would help distinguish whats what...I mean you cant even sit here and tell me 100% what defensive and offensive awareness even do.

I'm not entirely sure what needs to take place for that to happen, but those wheels should defintely be in motion IMO.
Old 03-27-2009, 05:51 PM   #107
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pared
Yes the ridiculous exaggeration gets your point across. Because, like you said, "10 and under church kids" have more defensive fundamentals.

It's one thing to make your point, like others are doing; It's another to throw out ridiculous statements like you are doing.

I tried to give you the benefit of the doubt but you're just being foolish now. A minor adjustment to the defense and the game becomes infinitely better. You don't make a minor adjustment and the game goes from "unacceptable" to "having a solid grasp of the fundamentals," which is what your over the top statement is implying.

It's guys that feel the need to make ridiculous comments like this to get their point across that end up being counter productive to their objective. I wouldn't take anything you say seriously if you can't get your point across without being melodramatic.

I'm not exaggerating or being melodramatic.

When I say that the game has zero defensive fundamentals, it's because I cannot think of a single thing that is does right in that area.

And by right, I don't mean "better than last year" or "better than Live," I mean falling in line with the fundamentals of basketball.

Same for the church league comparison. I speak from experience as a former player and a current coach in that environment, and I can tell you that the kids in those leagues know more about the fundamentals of defensive basketball than anyone of your AI teammates/opponents do in NBA 2K9.
Old 03-27-2009, 06:20 PM   #108
D* W*rk!

Rocky's Arena

OVR: 30

Quote:
1. Stop switching in situations in which they shouldn't switch. We know the issues with the CPU switching for no reason

2. Help defense

That covers a lot of issues right there
I would HATE to see them implement this for the sake of implementing this. If they're going to do it, they need to do it right. NBA2K8 and NBA Live tried to fix flesh wounds with band-aids.
"Maybe I can't win. But to beat me, he's going to have to kill me. And to kill me, he's gonna have to have the heart to stand in front of me. And to do that, he's got to be willing to die himself. I don't know if he's ready to do that."
-Rocky Balboa
Old 03-27-2009, 06:36 PM   #109
*S *dd*ct

NINJAK2's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronyell
i get ur point GSW & i normally find ur posts very insightful & in line with what i also think but calling the game unplayable is also an opinion.

since the name of this THREAD is " Why I'm Done With NBA Basketball This Year: NBA 2K9 ", this will be my last post in it & i will refer to the NBA2K9 thread.

but i just find it funny how everyone here is complaining SO much about the game yet they are still playing it. should i recite the title of this thread again?

if i hated going to the club.......... i would stop going... and so if 2k9 is unplayable.... _____________

we do this every year, i understand the concern & am annoyed some of the same things as most of u posters here but UNPLAYABLE i just cant co-sign!

so once again i say everyone keep saying how you hate 2k9 & can't play it anymore & i will see you in the NBK2K10 review threads, roster threads & everything else
great post.
EA and 2k have the unfortunate task of trying to balance on a tightrope of fun and sim while trying not to fall 10,000 feet to their death. Instead of a safety net waiting down below there will just be angry customers quick to move out of the way and talk of their failure.
Old 03-28-2009, 05:34 AM   #110
Banned

Court_vision's Arena

OVR: 25

Haven't had a chance to read for a month or so and currently in net cafe and it's stinking hot...but that's a GREAT post.

2K9 is the first 2K game to really have MAJOR flaws that ruined the game (past tense as i couldnt stand playing it anymore)...

A seriously weak effort...where it seems presentation was improved and MAJOR gameplay issues were simpl y coated over...

But hey, we've been saying that for a while.

Maybe 2K will listen...becuase they're on the verge of losing a hell of a lot of long timers if they keep simply covering the cracks.

For $60...this was a patch like upgrade over NBA 2K8 with tonnes of new problems. That's disrespecting your customers, no other way to put it.
Old 03-28-2009, 09:59 AM   #111
Banned

OVR: 11
I score countless points with the stars, and when I play against those same stars, I lock em down. I have played 2K series since 2000, I am not a LIVE reject, who just wants to play what everyone else is. I don't grade 2K9 on how much it plays like LIVE, LIke the masses of you do. Good defense is in the game. I wish they could show win loss overall records. On/Offline, since the game came out, I've probably lost about 4 times! challenge me on xbox360. Not the point I wanted to make, but, I win, so I never understand the gripes of people and this whole defense. I play a hella defense in 2K9, and I use the Knicks! I don't agree with none of you guys on this. Can we watch you play a whole game, to see what type of approach you have to the game? I play users and have 80 with a star, give them the same star and Lock them down. Ive seen it. I've played people that will have 15 with Kobe, lol. I don't care if you double or triple me, I'd have 70 with him. My defense is my superior play calling and scoring on offense. I get steals and interceptions. I take a hella charges. I have played over 350 games. I don't see what any of you are talking about. Challenge Me, let me rack up some wins on you bad head coaches. lmao
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-28-2009, 10:37 AM   #112
All Star

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSW
see its comments like this that get me...

you say the games positives outweigh the negatives...

maybe for you... but that is not a fact its an opinion...

far to often on both sides of the argument about this game peopel relay thier personal opinion as fact...
Not sure why. I've only played the demo of NBA Live and watched others play that have the game or at kiosks. And while it wasn't for me I feel fairly safe in saying it's positives likely outweigh it's negatives, just based on the little I've experienced and in reading other's posts. And I'll say that given Live's pretty poor performance overall next gen, and the many times I've read "just give Live another year". But somehow NBA2K9 is so bad in your opinion that the same consideration can't be said of it lol? That for someone that's supposedly so happy with the other game that they spend considerable time itemizing what's wrong with this one? The standards these games are held to are totally different. Has been the case for a while

XBL gamertag: d0meBreaker22 (that's a zero)

congrats Steelers, city of Pittsburgh, and Steeler Nation - SIX TIME WORLD CHAMPS

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen »