Home

Why I'm Done With NBA Basketball This Year: NBA 2K9

This is a discussion on Why I'm Done With NBA Basketball This Year: NBA 2K9 within the NBA 2K Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 03-24-2009, 10:01 PM   #49
We Here

Hassan Darkside's Arena

OVR: 34
Re: Why I'm Done With NBA Basketball This Year: NBA 2K9

I wasn't talking about how good you are. I was thinking that if you're offense is that dependent on dunking, maybe you're the one with the problem.

But anyway, Shotstick > ____. I much prefer having control over dunks and layups.

That's why there's a standing dunk attribute.
There's a lot that ties into standing dunks. The attribute, the dunk tendency, the slider, and traffic itself.
Royce da 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican
How many brothers fell victim to the skeet.........
Old 03-24-2009, 11:35 PM   #50
All Star

inkcil's Arena

OVR: 23
in neither blog is the fast break mentioned...completely broken (in both games by the way)
Old 03-25-2009, 12:19 AM   #51
MVP

OVR: 19
NBA2k9 on the PC, IMO is a great game. The issues that are mentioned in this article aren't much of an issue in the PC version. The best 2k NBA game to date.
The AI defense is quicker to react, offense does run plays. The A.I does react to game time decisions.
Maybe the console versions are slightly different.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-25-2009, 07:15 AM   #52
DC
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 39

I want to know if these PC dudes are telling the truth when they say the game doesn't have the same issues. I don't see why it wouldn't to be honest.

Yea you can have modifications but I can't believe the PC version is that different
Old 03-25-2009, 08:15 AM   #53
MVP

OVR: 19
for some reason, its different. you'll occasionally see an anomaly but thats about it. I adjusted the sliders of course to get a more sim experience and theyve worked. Im 8 seasons in playing 12 minute halves and havent adjusted the sliders since season 1. 28 game seasons.

stats are spot on etc. the only complaint is with the salary cap bug. most teams can spend more than they have. a few teams operate at or below the salary cap. which is no biggie cause it makes the game more challenging, operating within the salary verses the rest of the AI controlled teams.

If you have a nice pc Id recommend getting this version and compare.
It never gets old, every y game is different. The adjustments made by the AI, the game time decisions is a thing of beauty. it has replay-ability like College Hoops 2k8.

Plus it looks beautiful, maxed out.
Old 03-25-2009, 08:37 AM   #54
Sitting by the door

Dice's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky
I don't need to see videos, I know how crappy NBA2K8's defense is just by playing it (which I do routinely).

Yes, NBA2K9 has those super annoying sliding, flying to the basket animations that are not in 2K8 that much (but are in 2K7), but that has nothing to do with defensive AI.

Defensive AI was terrible in NBA2K8. Do you remember the unstoppable pick and rolls? Tyson Chandler going 15 for 15 routinely because there was not proper collision and animations under the goal to contest shots? Brent Barry going 10 for 14 from 3 because of there was not proper rotation when people left there man (NBA2K9 solved this, but not in the right way)? CPU not paying attention to defenders being 100x's worse?

Trust me, NBA2K9's defensive AI is no shining piece of gold, but every problem that was in 2K9 was in 2K8 and then alot more. (the switching problem of 2K9 was just the opposite in 2K8. Both of them were bad, but I prefered 2K8's.)

The big difference is....the CPU offense is more competent on higher levels. Which is to be expected when the computer is meant to be hard, not realistic.
I agree. All except for the switching problem in 2K9. I know 2K9 has the issue but it isn't as often as it was in 2K8. In 2K8, it happened too many times.

Another thing about defense between the two games is in 2K9 you could finally assign a man to guard another player regardless of position. You couldn't do this at all in 2K8.

This franchise is currently at the crossroads. 2K10 has got to improve next season because this is 2KSports money maker. They've shut down their football and college basketball games and from my understanding the baseball franchise is getting serious competition with Sony's MLB franchise. If 2K Sports looses the pro basketball title to the giant EA expect this company to shut it's doors. It'll be a shame to see that but that's what it comes down to.

One more thing, a lot of people here regard College Hoops 2K8 as one of the best basketball games of all time. Well, when 2K Sports shut down that franchise some of the developers went over to the NBA side to help with NBA 2K9. So why is the AI bad in this game when you had developers of possibly one of the greatest basketball AI games of all time?
Old 03-25-2009, 08:49 AM   #55
DC
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Another thing about defense between the two games is in 2K9 you could finally assign a man to guard another player regardless of position. You couldn't do this at all in 2K8.
Yea that is true but 2K STILL took a step backwards in this feature because in COllege Hoops 2K8, you could assign a PRIMARY and a SECONDARY (for when the primary defender is out of the game) to guard a specific player. I don't know why we only have one in NBA 2K9. HOPEFULLY that is fixed in 2K10
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-25-2009, 08:49 AM   #56
DC
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dice
One more thing, a lot of people here regard College Hoops 2K8 as one of the best basketball games of all time. Well, when 2K Sports shut down that franchise some of the developers went over to the NBA side to help with NBA 2K9. So why is the AI bad in this game when you had developers of possibly one of the greatest basketball AI games of all time?
Much like Beluba not being on Live's Team for a full development cycle, the College Hoops Dudes first FULL cycle would be THIS year

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen »