Home

Major League Baseball 2K9 Review

This is a discussion on Major League Baseball 2K9 Review within the MLB 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 03-05-2009, 11:16 PM   #97
Rookie

bodean's Arena

OVR: 6
Re: Major League Baseball 2K9 Review

This game, like last years, is HORRIBLE!

Seems like 80% of the people on 2ksports forums seem to agree. Can't believe this company continues to put out sh|t products.
Old 03-05-2009, 11:19 PM   #98
JEM
Banned

OVR: 18

I am pretty impressed with what VC was able to do with the game this year. They came in after that EA clown made the series a joke ( saw that coming ) and they did not try to fix everything in one year ( not possible ).. Next year my expectations will be higher which also means harsh criticisms if they do not get it together.
Old 03-06-2009, 01:59 AM   #99
Rookie

snugglyirishman's Arena

OVR: 4
I feel that this game is straight trash....bought a PS3 just for the Show and absolutely love it. Now I have played 2K baseball every year that it has been put out and to tell the truth I even found last years copy entertaining. That could be because I could strike people out in that game and didn't combine for 35 hits in my first game, the final score being 9-8 with 3 errors for the Cubs and 1 for the Astros. In the second game, the Cubs had 3 more errors by the 2nd inning and these weren't throwing errors, the outfielders dropped the ball 3 times. The player models are "okay" and the defense is choppy. I'm selling this game back and sticking with the Show....straight garbage.
Old 03-06-2009, 02:46 AM   #100
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blzer
I just wanted to respond to this on a personal level.

I take the game of baseball very mentally when I play, and use everything to my favor when I can. I'm a leadoff hitter, so my job(s) are to: 1) get on base any way possible; 2) scout the pitcher for my fellow teammates. I abuse the latter so damn much when I play. If there were splits compiled into my stats, you would see that probably 80% of my at bats I have a two strike count, or last more than four pitches. I also walk over once a game on average. I'm a patient hitter in the sense that I'm looking in one zone for a long time, but this is besides the point.

Anyway, what I wanted to say about the "mental" thing is I'm really good at placing images into my head based on what I've seen. I recall my past at bats and pitches that came to me and in which sequence, and once I see a kind of pitch in the pitcher's arsenal, I remember how it moves and how the pitcher releases the ball, etc. But most importantly, if it's a pitcher that I haven't seen before, I never swing at the first pitch. I want to get the timing down and see where he releases the ball (when I bat, I don't look at the pitcher, I look at where the ball is going to fly out of his hand). I take the pitch without even really looking at the ball, but instead making a mental note on where he released it, and stay in the box for the next pitch to make it recognizable for myself.

Anyway, if there were AB splits, you'd also see that I have more success later in the game off the same pitcher. It's just that kind of mentality that I have.

So the only reason I made the post is to say that I'll take pitches right down the middle if it is the first time I'm seeing the pitcher. Otherwise, down the middle will be fair game to hack at.
Your post makes total sense to me and I completely understand this..the more pitches you see, the more likely you are to do better when trying to make contact. My argument is mainly towards those that are getting worked up over the aggressive AI hitting..I just find it a little over the top.
Old 03-07-2009, 01:44 AM   #101
Rookie

OVR: 2
Just bought 2K9 when it came out...its terrible...im tradin it back in for 2K8
They had a good thing going in 2K8 and alot to build off of but they decide to take alot of things out of it and ended up taking all kinds of steps back.

Nothing will ever top EA's MVP series...especially 2005, one of my favorite games ever
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-07-2009, 05:15 PM   #102
MVP

Tyrant8RDFL's Arena

OVR: 20
One of the problems I have always had with 2k baseball is the feel of hitting the ball. It always felt like I was playing whiffle ball, and I never liked the sound effects used when the ball was hit.

Also the animations make the players seem like they only posses half a brain. They tend to look dazed at times when going from one animation to another.
Old 03-07-2009, 10:54 PM   #103
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64
Fair review imo. I think the game is fun, and will make a nice change of pace type game to play, but ultimately is not quite ready for prime time.
Old 03-08-2009, 04:09 AM   #104
Banned

OVR: 6

I picked up MLB 2K9 despite the reviews just yesterday. I started playing and immediately thought "OMG....what have I done?" Then I gave the game another chance with some tweaks here and there, and now I'm having fun. Not as much fun as I had with 2K8, but it's livable. I'm not crazy about the camera angles the game gives you for pitching, fielding, and hitting despite being able to adjust them, but the game isn't nearly as bad as some make it out to be. Out of the box it IS crap, but with some tweaks the game is a solid 8 in my book. I like 2K8's pitching mechanic MUCH better, and wish VC would've retained what the previous devs did with it.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K »