Home

Major League Baseball 2K9 Hands-On Preview

This is a discussion on Major League Baseball 2K9 Hands-On Preview within the MLB 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 02-17-2009, 10:41 AM   #89
Hall Of Fame

bigfnjoe96's Arena

OVR: 28
Re: Major League Baseball 2K9 Hands-On Preview

Steve, now that you've noticed the ability to use the Triggers during throwing, is there something in the Menu that talks about this:

Quote:
Turning double plays using the new "Quick Throw" controls
EDIT: Found the screen..

I wonder if this triggers different throwing animations from different position players? If so this would be sweet

Last edited by bigfnjoe96; 02-17-2009 at 10:54 AM.
Old 02-17-2009, 11:14 AM   #90
MVP

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfnjoe96
Steve, now that you've noticed the ability to use the Triggers during throwing, is there something in the Menu that talks about this:

EDIT: Found the screen..

I wonder if this triggers different throwing animations from different position players? If so this would be sweet
I'm curious about this as well.
Old 02-17-2009, 11:36 AM   #91
ehh
Hall Of Fame

ehh's Arena

OVR: 44

Thanks for the honest review so far Steve. The two big issues mentioned in the article are pretty serious concerns, it will be interesting to see how the retail is.

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas." - Warren Buffet
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-17-2009, 12:06 PM   #92
Hall Of Fame

Jistic's Arena

OVR: 28

Great stuff Steve, thanks. Please let us know when 2K gets back to you about the issues being fixed in the retail version.

Old 02-17-2009, 01:10 PM   #93
Rookie

OVR: 1
Im sorry, I just can't forgive 2K for putting out such a HORRENDOUS & FLAWED baseball game last year. I'd rather go out and buy a PS3 and play the other sim game.
Old 02-17-2009, 01:18 PM   #94
MVP

OVR: 11

I guess all defensive dives/jumps have been delegated to the "X" button now? Maybe I'm mistaken and this was actually how it was done in 2K8, but I use to love being able to do certain dives and jumps defensively with the right stick. I suppose that would interfere with the base throwing though.
Old 02-17-2009, 02:17 PM   #95
Rookie

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by NumberOneRB
I guess all defensive dives/jumps have been delegated to the "X" button now? Maybe I'm mistaken and this was actually how it was done in 2K8, but I use to love being able to do certain dives and jumps defensively with the right stick. I suppose that would interfere with the base throwing though.
Not really, though. MVP NCAA 2006 had the dives and the throws mapped to the right thumbstick, and I never had a problem with it.

- Mike Royko
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-17-2009, 02:52 PM   #96
Qb
All Star

Qb's Arena

OVR: 43

Late to the party... Steve's impressions are encouraging in some ways and discouraging in others. I watched most of the videos and things look OK, but I'm left with some basic issues/questions regarding the game:

1. Framerate -- No need to elaborate, hopefully it will be ironed out. I'll be really disappointed if online is unplayable again...

2. AI Pitching Logic -- I didn't see any mention of this by Steve, but will the AI still throw illogical pitches? All the high breaking & offspeed stuff grew very tiresome after a month or two in 2K8, especially since it was overly effective.

3. AI Baserunning -- Another issue that wore on me over time last year. It takes so much away from the strategy of the game when you never have to worry about the running game. Hopefully we'll see steals and hit & runs in appropriate situations...

4. AI Batting -- I was able to get the AI batters to behave somewhat realistically via sliders in 2K8, but it sounds like it could be an issue. If they removed the AI Batting tendency sliders, that would be a bummer...

5. AI Fielding -- The overdone diving and uber-range of CPU fielders was as big a drag on hit variety as any bat/ball physics issues.

A few positives -- As I said before, things look good... Commentary sounds passable, but repetition is inevitable and I guess must be accepted... I really like the 'dead-center' pitching camera that ESPN & other networks use occasionally, so it was awesome that it's there or can be made with customization... Pitch trajectories/movement look good and it was nice to see batters fooled by speed... NO MEATBALLS! (right? )

And a question for Steve if he can answer it -- can we turn off the pitching cursor? I always found that this upped the difficulty and lead to more balls/walks by the user when pitching...

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K »