Home

NBA Live 365 and Dynamic DNA: Four Months Later

This is a discussion on NBA Live 365 and Dynamic DNA: Four Months Later within the NBA Live forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 02-13-2009, 09:25 AM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
NBA Live 365 and Dynamic DNA: Four Months Later

When NBA Live 09 was released last fall, there were two major aspects of the game that reviewers could not pass judgment on -- Live 365 and Dynamic DNA.These were two new features that were so dependent on the start of the actual NBA season that it would have been impossible to evaluate them properly until the actual NBA season had a few months under its belt.

Four months after the game's release and a few days before the All-Star festivities, I am happy to report that these features are overwhelming successes in my eyes. Do not just take my word for it either, Live 365 and Dynamic DNA were a smashing success with the OS staff and community alike, winning our coveted Best Roster Update award for 2008.

Why exactly are Live 365 and Dynamic DNA such groundbreaking features? In order to answer that question, I think it is very important to examine the relatively short history of roster updates on consoles.
Read More - NBA Live 365 and Dynamic DNA: Four Months Later
Platform: Xbox 360 / PS2 / PS3 / PSP
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-13-2009, 10:32 AM   #2
MVP

OVR: 31
Nice read!

I don't have NBA Live but was always curious how this feature turned out.

I still think NBA 2K makes a better basketball game overall but this feature sounds great.

I haven't bought a basketball game in years but features like this makes it very tempting.
Old 02-13-2009, 11:23 AM   #3
Banned

OVR: 16
eh, its EA.

ill wait for 2k to do this
Old 02-13-2009, 12:41 PM   #4
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75
While DNA may be a great thing, it loses a ton of value by only being used in quick games. Most people start a franchise relatively early after buying their game and play franchise exclusively. This feature does almost nothing for us.

Once developers let us merge in roster updates with our franchises, the roster updates won't see their true value. How great would it be in a long season like baseball to be able to update all of your player attributes to mimic what's happening in real life? Until a simple merging of attributes with out franchise rosters happens, this feature will be under utilized imo.
Old 02-13-2009, 01:42 PM   #5
WW*/*FC C*mm*n*ty Mgr.

stephensonmc's Arena

OVR: 42
Re: NBA Live 365 and Dynamic DNA: Four Months Later

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyjuly2
While DNA may be a great thing, it loses a ton of value by only being used in quick games. Most people start a franchise relatively early after buying their game and play franchise exclusively. This feature does almost nothing for us.

Once developers let us merge in roster updates with our franchises, the roster updates won't see their true value. How great would it be in a long season like baseball to be able to update all of your player attributes to mimic what's happening in real life? Until a simple merging of attributes with out franchise rosters happens, this feature will be under utilized imo.
Good points rudy. I just want to point out though that it's not as "simple" as it may appear.

We are looking for more valuable ways to utilize NBA LIVE 365 and recognize that we missed a bit this year with it. BUT, we were new to the tech as well and we have a long partnership that as we discover more things, we'll find out more ways to implement them into our game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-13-2009, 01:51 PM   #6
Rookie

nolan273's Arena

OVR: 13
While the inability to incorporate the updates into franchise mode is a bit of a downer, it still must be said that the DNA feature is an amazing addition to all sports games in general. For those that love the NBA2K series, you must admit that EA has raised the bar. This feature will go a long way toward improving sports games across the board from ALL developers. The archaic weekly updates just aren't going to cut it anymore.
Old 02-13-2009, 02:21 PM   #7
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephensonmc
Good points rudy. I just want to point out though that it's not as "simple" as it may appear.

We are looking for more valuable ways to utilize NBA LIVE 365 and recognize that we missed a bit this year with it. BUT, we were new to the tech as well and we have a long partnership that as we discover more things, we'll find out more ways to implement them into our game.
I know it may not be as simple to just merge the data (even though database merges in software packages like SPSS is very easy) but if you could find a way to merge in the DNA with franchise/season rosters, you would have a monster hit on your hands. We can only hope.
Old 02-13-2009, 02:31 PM   #8
WW*/*FC C*mm*n*ty Mgr.

stephensonmc's Arena

OVR: 42
Re: NBA Live 365 and Dynamic DNA: Four Months Later

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyjuly2
I know it may not be as simple to just merge the data (even though database merges in software packages like SPSS is very easy) but if you could find a way to merge in the DNA with franchise/season rosters, you would have a monster hit on your hands. We can only hope.
I think you'll enjoy what we're doing in 10.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live »