Home

EA's Real Cash Cow: Why FIFA Has Taken Center Stage

This is a discussion on EA's Real Cash Cow: Why FIFA Has Taken Center Stage within the EA Sports FIFA Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA > EA Sports FIFA Last Gen
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 02-12-2009, 03:32 PM   #9
Banned

OVR: 9
FIFA09 is great, especially in BAP mode....

I don't even like soccer and I can't stop playing this
Old 02-12-2009, 03:35 PM   #10
Banned

This article has an error regarding College Hoops 2k series...The series was ended because the NCAA wanted too much money, not for any other reason...Of course if you werre saying that if C-Hoops had sold more(and thus 2k would have payed more for the rights) then you woul dbe correct

As far as I know, there is nothing stopping them from regaining the rights next year if 2k and NCAA can come to an agreeable price
Old 02-12-2009, 03:36 PM   #11
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by statum71
Good article. This is what I keep telling my homie...Madden is no better than 4th or 5th right now among sports game franchises.

Behind: The Show, NBA 2K, FIFA and maybe even NHL.

Sports games are getting better and better. I just wanna see America's number 1 sport (NFL) get up to speed.
Yeah, dead on...And yes, NHL09 is definitely ahead of Madden in terms of quality as well
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-12-2009, 04:03 PM   #12
#BringBackFaceuary

ChaseB's Arena

OVR: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7stringking
This article has an error regarding College Hoops 2k series...The series was ended because the NCAA wanted too much money, not for any other reason...Of course if you werre saying that if C-Hoops had sold more(and thus 2k would have payed more for the rights) then you woul dbe correct

As far as I know, there is nothing stopping them from regaining the rights next year if 2k and NCAA can come to an agreeable price
It was a cost issue. The game didn't sell very well, so they didn't want to pay the licensing fees.
Old 02-12-2009, 06:17 PM   #13
Rookie

ngoulding's Arena

OVR: 5
Nice article but the one important point it forgets to mention is the importance of FIFA being a 'sim' style game. FIFA had always traditionally been a more arcade style experience, similar to Madden, where the people buying the game did so because they liked FIFA moreso than they liked real soccer. The fact that a move to a sim style of gameplay could be so profitable, while retaining the series long running fans, definitely would have helped Ian Cummings in his attempts to take Madden down a similar path. A year ago the directors in EA most likely would have been very slow to risk changing Madden very much because of the risk of killing the golden goose. FIFA gives sim style developers a lot of leverage in seeking to make drastic changes to their franchise, something which all Madden gamers such be thankful for.
Old 02-13-2009, 03:59 PM   #14
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngoulding
Nice article but the one important point it forgets to mention is the importance of FIFA being a 'sim' style game. FIFA had always traditionally been a more arcade style experience, similar to Madden, where the people buying the game did so because they liked FIFA moreso than they liked real soccer. The fact that a move to a sim style of gameplay could be so profitable, while retaining the series long running fans, definitely would have helped Ian Cummings in his attempts to take Madden down a similar path. A year ago the directors in EA most likely would have been very slow to risk changing Madden very much because of the risk of killing the golden goose. FIFA gives sim style developers a lot of leverage in seeking to make drastic changes to their franchise, something which all Madden gamers such be thankful for.
That is a great point....I guess the gaming company presidents need to realise that this isn't 1990, and also that their fans are not as dumb as they think
Old 02-13-2009, 04:34 PM   #15
KG
Welcome Back

KG's Arena

OVR: 35
Re: EA's Real Cash Cow: Why FIFA Has Taken Center Stage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaxican8504
I think FIFA 08 was the first time I had ever played a game all the way to the release of the next version.
I agree.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-14-2009, 02:04 PM   #16
Rookie

buzzguy's Arena

OVR: 12
Re: EA's Real Cash Cow: Why FIFA Has Taken Center Stage

What can you say? FIFA has been really, really good for 2 straight years. EA Vancouver is doing a bang-up job on it's sports titles...even NBA Live is turning itself around.

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA > EA Sports FIFA Last Gen »