Home

EA's Real Cash Cow: Why FIFA Has Taken Center Stage

This is a discussion on EA's Real Cash Cow: Why FIFA Has Taken Center Stage within the EA Sports FIFA Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA > EA Sports FIFA Last Gen
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 02-12-2009, 12:44 PM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
EA's Real Cash Cow: Why FIFA Has Taken Center Stage

For decades now, the combination of the words football and video game have immediately brought to mind the word Madden. And it is really no wonder why. Each year, Madden is a guaranteed multi-million seller and it has evolved into an industry phenomenon. That there are even things out there like this recently released article, which explains that gamers who play Madden have a higher "Football IQ" than NFL fans who do not play Madden, is further testament to that fact.

However, the days of Madden being the most prominent word that comes to mind when thinking about sports video games may soon be coming to an end. Another word is now in contention and it is gaining a lot of speed. That word? FIFA.

Read More - EA's Real Cash Cow: Why FIFA Has Taken Center Stage
Platform: NDS / PC / PS2 / PS3 / PSP / Wii / Xbox 360
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-12-2009, 01:17 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 4
FIFA is a very very very addicting game.
Old 02-12-2009, 01:47 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 2
Re: EA's Real Cash Cow: Why FIFA Has Taken Center Stage

FIFA has definitely been gaining steam, I've had friends who have never played soccer in their lives but have played football for years like FIFA more. Although at first they were really frustrated getting used to certain rules and strategy(offsides, red/yellow cards, etc.), it's one of those games that if you have never played you will hate at first but love after you play for a little
Old 02-12-2009, 02:31 PM   #4
Pro

OVR: 11
I couldn't agree more.

Not only did this game unexpectedly caused me to forget all about my other favorite game (NCAA Football) it's actually caused me to become seriously interested in world soccer.

I cannot wait to see what EA comes up with for FIFA 2010.
Old 02-12-2009, 02:47 PM   #5
MVP

statum71's Arena

OVR: 61
Good article. This is what I keep telling my homie...Madden is no better than 4th or 5th right now among sports game franchises.

Behind: The Show, NBA 2K, FIFA and maybe even NHL.

Sports games are getting better and better. I just wanna see America's number 1 sport (NFL) get up to speed.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-12-2009, 02:52 PM   #6
#ZOMBIENATION

Tomasperez9's Arena

OVR: 23

I used to be the guy that went out at midnight to grab a copy of Madden the day it came out. This year, I didn't even bother to grab Madden at all (I still don't own it) as I was still playing FIFA 08 and FIFA 09's release was only a few short months away. FIFA 09 and NBA 2k9 are the only games I play now. Madden needs to come up with some crazy creative or innovative for me to even consider renting it, let alone buying it.

We are the Union; Join or Die.
Sons of Ben 'til I die!

Don't Tread on Me
Old 02-12-2009, 02:58 PM   #7
All Star

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomasperez9
I used to be the guy that went out at midnight to grab a copy of Madden the day it came out. This year, I didn't even bother to grab Madden at all (I still don't own it) as I was still playing FIFA 08 and FIFA 09's release was only a few short months away. FIFA 09 and NBA 2k9 are the only games I play now. Madden needs to come up with some crazy creative or innovative for me to even consider renting it, let alone buying it.
I think FIFA 08 was the first time I had ever played a game all the way to the release of the next version.
Old 02-12-2009, 03:10 PM   #8
Pro

asu666's Arena

OVR: 34
MLB 09: The Show is going to set the bar for sports games, but there is no doubt that the FIFA series has made great strides and the result has been increased sales. I'd love to see more detail new year like when I sub in two players they are both (all if 3) shown running on to the pitch, instead of just one.

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA > EA Sports FIFA Last Gen »