Home

MLB 09 The Show Preview

This is a discussion on MLB 09 The Show Preview within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 01-24-2009, 05:44 PM   #113
Pro

OVR: 10
Re: MLB 09 The Show Preview

The information coming out about this game is teasing
Old 01-24-2009, 09:12 PM   #114
Banned

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by roolz
The information coming out about this game is teasing
Well, consider it like a good strip-tease. You don't want her to just show up in the buff. Kind of gets rid of the suspense. You want it to be slow and senusal with a few good moments of "OH MY GOD!". Makes the experience more worth it............. ummmm............. the videogame I'm talking about.
Old 01-24-2009, 09:30 PM   #115
Banned

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdurg
Well, consider it like a good strip-tease. You don't want her to just show up in the buff. Kind of gets rid of the suspense. You want it to be slow and senusal with a few good moments of "OH MY GOD!". Makes the experience more worth it............. ummmm............. the videogame I'm talking about.

You are a sick man ....

where can I put my dollars?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-25-2009, 05:29 PM   #116
Rookie

OVR: 4
Will they ever convert the attribute bars to a numerical value?!
Old 01-25-2009, 05:36 PM   #117
MVP

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by berta.8
Will they ever convert the attribute bars to a numerical value?!
Why?

They've said time and time again that they use the bar method on purpose. It requires you to look at a players overall performance on the field rather than looking at two players, and choosing one that's rated 88 over the guy rated 87 (you know you would do this.)
Old 01-26-2009, 01:28 AM   #118
#BringBackFaceuary

ChaseB's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blzer
While I noticed this, I didn't notice it in the same way that you did. It sounds like an improved version of the 2008 installment. He made no mention of improved AI (though he was only there for a short time and didn't read from a features list, instead pointing out what he saw himself), didn't delve into commentary, and he didn't point out signature batting and pitching animations.
Yea, I usually only write what I see because I think that's really the only, or at least, best way to be accurate in what you write for a game. So if I see something bad or good or whatever I'll write about it, and I will usually not look at a press release etc. when writing a preview because it only clouds things. PS, I'm awful at spotting signature batting and pitching animations, never had a good eye for it.

As for the general bias stuff, I can say I did not feel right accepting the airfare/hotel, and most outlets should (and usually do) avoid accepting anything from the people they cover -- it's just general accepted journalistic practice. However, OS isn't in a spot to pay for every trip we make to see a game, at least not yet, so I think the halfway is at least not hiding it from you all if the writing staff does accept something from a company. Also, I won't be reviewing any versions of The Show for basically this reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbbsinthe
Im a bit worried about some of these early previews?! Doesnt seem like there is any WOW factor about this years version?! I was hoping everyone would come back and be like;"Holy Sh-t this game is the end all be all!" Anyways its still early and Im a lil anxious thats all!
It's not that I'm not impressed with the game, it's just a known commodity at this point. Plus, I rarely, if ever, get too hyped up in what I write in a preview because usually you don't have enough time with a game to want to say "OMG BEST GAME EVER!" -- especially with a sports game because it's so hard to know how a sports game will hold up, even if you really like it during the first hour or two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sask3m
Chase, i'm wondering about the hitting, did you use the L stick or just swing w/o using it, i'm wondering if true zone hitting is in this yr. or not, thanks.
I used the L-stick, but since I was so rusty I hit one HR and then I believe one double, otherwise I don't remember many solid hits on my part. As for the true zone hitting, I don't think I would have been able to tell in my time with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sask3m
catcher giving signs is only as good as the catcher AI, which in most games past hasn't been that good.
I agree with that, but you can always shake off the sign, and hopefully a good catcher is different from a bad one in a clear way in the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitstreak13
Wow, this game is an easy buy for me once again. However, like most of us, I am eagerly awaiting any additions to franchise mode. I truly hope they added Single A clubs and/or rookie ball teams to go along with the draft and its supplemental picks. I would be disappointed if players started off in double A again. But other than that, game looks top notch and am looking foward to it.
Yes, please ask about Single A or Rookie teams Comm Leaders because I don't get where all those draft picks are going to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teebee
PItching from the behind the pitcher view is terrible though unless it's actually lined up and not the TV style 3/4 angle. You can't get a feel for the strike zone and a pitch that you think is on the corner could be down the middle or a foot outside.
You just suck at video games Tyler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyjuly2
It was definitely hit or miss as to when an animation might take over.
Yea, hopefully the being able to branch out of animations helps this. But usually I had a beef with throwing animations (speed-wise) rather than the actual fielding, sans when guys would run over a ball and not pick it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blzer
Only question... aside from a new pitching camera (which I'm only assuming), have you noticed a new batting or fielding camera? For instance, in the trailers there were some home run cuts that looked like they came from a true-to-life broadcast camera. Was that a real gameplay option, was that just a cut scene, or was that an overall tease that's not even in the game?
The pitching camera appeared to be the same from last year. I didn't really check to see about new camera views though, sorry. And the one HR I hit had a similar cut scene to last year as I pulled it down the line and the camera went into that view behind the batter as he watches if it will go fair or foul.
Old 01-26-2009, 01:36 AM   #119
*ll St*r

Knight165's Arena

OVR: 56

Chase

Thanks for coming back into the thread to answer some questions.

Plus....it's totally understandable to accept the invitation(and therefore lodging and airfare) to preview the game. I wouldn't consider this "payment" at all. Absolutely acceptable IMO.

M.K.
Knight165
Old 01-26-2009, 02:19 AM   #120
#BringBackFaceuary

ChaseB's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight165
Chase

Thanks for coming back into the thread to answer some questions.

Plus....it's totally understandable to accept the invitation(and therefore lodging and airfare) to preview the game. I wouldn't consider this "payment" at all. Absolutely acceptable IMO.

M.K.
Knight165
You always want to avoid somehow being viewed as "indebted" to a company though, that's the bottom line and why it's not good to accept anything -- outside of something like a game for review.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »