Home

MLB 09 The Show Preview

This is a discussion on MLB 09 The Show Preview within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 01-23-2009, 09:05 AM   #105
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75
Re: MLB 09 The Show Preview

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxFan01605
As for the review, sounds good. My only concern was (as some mentioned) that the fielding still sounded very "tempered" as far as user controlled.
The fielding animations are a good thing imo. It's some of the throwing animations that need to be fixed and/or eliminated. One of the reasons the Show is so great is the presentation. The little things that make it look like you are watching a real baseball game.

I actually like animation driven fielding at times. You shouldn't be able to run full speed to pick up a ball at the wall. The fact that an animation slowed him down while he picked up the ball was much more realistic, adds to the atmosphere and just screams real baseball. Would people rather take a player and run him at top speed into the wall without penalty and have the player just automatically pick up the ball in 2/10 of a second and turn a fire a bullet to the cut off man? Not me.

At other times there are shots hit down the baseline where a player in real life has a split second to react to make the play. A third basemen's quick back hand would be impossible for the user to create manually but beautiful to watch as an animation based on a player's attributes. Other animations to feature errors, juggled balls, etc. are also needed to make the game more like true baseball.

I agree that the Show needs to fix some things is in the throwing department. Once I have fielded the ball, the button press should determine how hard a ball gets thrown and not an animation. Predominately the infield throws that end up going slow even though we pressed the button hard and costing us outs. The fix to the short throws and other things look good to me so far. I'm sure the community guys will elaborate in a week for us!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-23-2009, 10:16 AM   #106
Rookie

OVR: 7
this game sounds great!! can you tell me, besides the new stadiums are any upgrades to uniforms and stadiums made it into this year's game.. like my fav the orioles.. new uni's and new scoreboards and a big friggin hotel built outside of left field fence.. (really screws up the city view in from the 1st base line..
Old 01-23-2009, 10:35 AM   #107
Banned

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyjuly2
The fielding animations are a good thing imo. It's some of the throwing animations that need to be fixed and/or eliminated. One of the reasons the Show is so great is the presentation. The little things that make it look like you are watching a real baseball game.

I actually like animation driven fielding at times. You shouldn't be able to run full speed to pick up a ball at the wall. The fact that an animation slowed him down while he picked up the ball was much more realistic, adds to the atmosphere and just screams real baseball. Would people rather take a player and run him at top speed into the wall without penalty and have the player just automatically pick up the ball in 2/10 of a second and turn a fire a bullet to the cut off man? Not me.

At other times there are shots hit down the baseline where a player in real life has a split second to react to make the play. A third basemen's quick back hand would be impossible for the user to create manually but beautiful to watch as an animation based on a player's attributes. Other animations to feature errors, juggled balls, etc. are also needed to make the game more like true baseball.

I agree that the Show needs to fix some things is in the throwing department. Once I have fielded the ball, the button press should determine how hard a ball gets thrown and not an animation. Predominately the infield throws that end up going slow even though we pressed the button hard and costing us outs. The fix to the short throws and other things look good to me so far. I'm sure the community guys will elaborate in a week for us!
I have no problem with animation driven fielding as long as its used at the appropriate times.

For example I never ever want the CPU to try and stop me from throwing to any base I chose. Like the force out at second with two outs in 07 and 08 versions! Thank god thats been fixed in 09

I have high hopes that the gameplay will be much improved in MLB 09 The Show. I am also pretty sure that 09 gameplay will still not be perfect. But the good news is that Sony is trying to improve the gameplay every year. And I am sure if we find more issues with the gameplay in 09 that Sony will try and fix those in MLB 2010 The Show!

So I guess what I am trying to say is I feel really good that Sony someday will nail down the gameplay and we all will love it!!!

They probablely need a few more years to get the gameplay perfect

Last edited by mike75; 01-23-2009 at 10:41 AM.
Old 01-23-2009, 10:37 AM   #108
Banned

OVR: 18

You know what make this game even sweeter, the ps3 dropping its price this spring to $299. Now i finally have a choice between mlb2k9 vs the show 09. Since mlb2k8 have fail last year and this year i really don't have alot of confidence in 2k to bring a high quality baseball this year.

Im really leaning toward the show this year but it depends on 2k this year which i doubt they bring a high quailty baseball game like the show.
Old 01-23-2009, 11:26 AM   #109
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike75
For example I never ever want the CPU to try and stop me from throwing to any base I chose. Like the force out at second with two outs in 07 and 08 versions! Thank god thats been fixed in 09
Maybe I'm crazy but I didn't think it was a big issue in '07. I felt the short throw was done worse and a problem in the '08 version. Am I crazy in thinking that '07 wasn't that bad in this aspect?
Old 01-23-2009, 11:52 AM   #110
Mercy Extended. John 3:16

texbuk84's Arena

OVR: 34
Got damnit!!!!!!!!! im going to have to by a ps3 this year. i've been phinning for some baseball and around these parts, mlb the show is the best series.
Old 01-23-2009, 12:31 PM   #111
Rookie

texasgmr's Arena

OVR: 19
Can't wait for this!!!!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-24-2009, 05:37 PM   #112
Pro

OVR: 5
great preview. this is the only baseball game i have owned and i def. can't wait til this comes out. the catcher pitcher interaction is gonna be awesome.

www.sportstalk4us.blogspot.com

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »