Home

MLB 09 The Show Preview

This is a discussion on MLB 09 The Show Preview within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 01-22-2009, 09:53 AM   #33
MVP

baseball88's Arena

OVR: 11
Re: MLB 09 The Show Preview

Doesn't anyone that try out the game check out what was done with the player editor?

That is the first thing I do when I get a sports game like this. How it is laid out for editing. Is it laid out the same as last year or have they tweaked it anyway shape or form?

How is the eye black and glasses applied this year? Where and how is the new baggy pants applied? Do they have different color forearm, wrist, bands, batting gloves, fielding gloves to choose from? Have they improved any of the batting helmets this year? Do they have the Indians bill red for the batting helmet? Have they added more uniforms this year like Atlanta's blue top?

Was fireworks for homeruns added this year for the teams that have them like the Indians?
What is the roster cutoff for the final build?

Last edited by baseball88; 01-22-2009 at 09:55 AM.
Old 01-22-2009, 09:58 AM   #34
Hall Of Fame

bigfnjoe96's Arena

OVR: 28

Good stuff Chase. Here's hoping they give the user more control on the field. Slightly bummed about no Full Collision Detection..

Chase though not a final build, did you notice if the ball when coming out of the players hands on throws looked better than last year?
Old 01-22-2009, 09:58 AM   #35
War Eagle, Go Braves!

aukevin's Arena

OVR: 69
Thanks for the preview Chase.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-22-2009, 09:58 AM   #36
ehh
Hall Of Fame

ehh's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
I am most excited to talk about the pitcher-catcher interaction. For those gamers that pitch from the "pitcher view" and turn off the strike zone and a lot of the other indicators, they really will experience an engrossing pitcher-catcher interaction this spring. This year, it is possible to read what the catcher is doing behind the plate and pitch the whole game without having to turn on any indicators –- besides, of course, the pitching menu that tells you what pitches you have at your disposal.

So, virtual Jorge Posada can put one finger down, then signal to throw it low and then signal to throw it outside, and virtual C.C. will know to throw a 4-seam fastball. Now, to an extent this was implemented last year, but now you truly can turn off all the indicators, ignore all the in-game menus that help you identify what pitch to throw, and simply read the catcher’s signals and go from there. It seems so small, but sometimes it is the simplest things that make the biggest difference.
It will be interesting to see how this works out for those of us who bat from the OF/Pitcher cam. Are we going to be able to see every pitch that's coming in before it's released?

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas." - Warren Buffet
Old 01-22-2009, 10:06 AM   #37
Banned

OVR: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_GUN
good write-up (and disclaimer too!)

when picking the day games...did they transition from 'early afternoon' to 'late afternoon' lighting?

to me, that is more important than going from dusk to night...I would assume games would go from early-afternoon to late-afternoon.. it would basically be the same lighting system, just the sun being higher in the sky...it should work both ways is what I am trying to say....
Old 01-22-2009, 10:09 AM   #38
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55

Chase, thanks for that preview, it all sounds great!

Only question... aside from a new pitching camera (which I'm only assuming), have you noticed a new batting or fielding camera? For instance, in the trailers there were some home run cuts that looked like they came from a true-to-life broadcast camera. Was that a real gameplay option, was that just a cut scene, or was that an overall tease that's not even in the game?

Thanks.
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60
Old 01-22-2009, 10:13 AM   #39
MVP

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blzer

Only question... aside from a new pitching camera (which I'm only assuming), have you noticed a new batting or fielding camera? For instance, in the trailers there were some home run cuts that looked like they came from a true-to-life broadcast camera. Was that a real gameplay option, was that just a cut scene, or was that an overall tease that's not even in the game?

Thanks.
Yeah, great question. Forgot about this.
Old 01-22-2009, 10:49 AM   #40
Banned

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blzer

Thanks.
This is the only question I had as well (thanks for the preview). Are there any new cameras or are we still left only with "low," "medium" and "high" for fielding?

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »