Home

The BCS Quandary and How Video Games Can Help

This is a discussion on The BCS Quandary and How Video Games Can Help within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 01-16-2009, 12:51 PM   #33
Pro

HokieB's Arena

OVR: 14
Re: The BCS Quandary and How Video Games Can Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmik58
Okay, that is the BEST plan I have heard to date.

The best one I had heard previously had the lowest-seeded quarterfinal losers automatically playing each other in a 4th ranked BCS Bowl, but I think the Tier 3 "pool" is better. Your example with the Rose Bowl getting to chose their beloved Big 10-Pac 10 matchup is a perfect case.

Well done. Get this proposal in front of President Obama
Old 01-16-2009, 01:28 PM   #34
MVP

OVR: 28
What makes zero sense is that Division II and Division III have a playoff. How are Division I players put under any more stress than those playing at the smaller schools?

Division II and III players go to class and have to follow the same NCAA regulations as those players in Division I. I don't care what the NCAA says, it is all about money, end of story.

And the kicker is that the television rights to a Division I playoff would come with a huge price tag.

I would like to see the following:

1) Have an eight-team playoff using the big bowls as the forum
OR
2) Have 1 vs 4; 2 vs 3 matchup then have a +1 BCS championship game

AND have the championship game played on a Saturday night...weekday championship games make zero sense because most people have to work and have to either record the game. It would be a great tradition to have a Super Saturday (so to speak) where the championship game is the event of the day....
Old 01-16-2009, 01:37 PM   #35
MVP

OVR: 28
My biggest issue with the current system is that it is not who you lose to, it's when you lose.

If a top 10 team loses early then wins out, the perception is that they are the better team.

For example, if Texas Tech would have played OU before week #5 and lost, then won out including the win over Texas, they would have been rated higher and most likely have gone on to the Big 12 championship.

It is ridiculous that the timing of losses weighs more than the wins.

If you take the top eight ranked teams at the end of the year, they are most likely going to be the best teams to compete for a national title. No matter what, there will be arguments but there will be fewer arguments.

And I am not sold that all conference champs get into the playoff. If you have three teams from one conference with one loss, it is what it is. Cincinnati, although I am a fan, would not have made my playoff scenario because of three losses. Same goes for Va Tech....My top eight this year would have been (not in any order)

1) Florida
2) Oklahoma
3) Utah
4) Boise State
5) USC
6) Texas
7) Texas Tech
8) Penn State

If Ball State had won the MAC conference championship I would have put them in ahead of Texas Tech because an undefeated team from a smaller conference deserves a shot at the title....

It is hard to argue that a true champion would not have been crowned.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-16-2009, 09:13 PM   #36
MVP

speedkills's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieB
And Oklahoma lost the National Championship to Texas in the Red River Shootout, and Florida lost the National Championship in the Swamp to Ole Miss... oh wait!

Except both Texas and USC controlled their own destinies. If they both had gone undefeated they would've been in the national championship game - they have no one to blame but themselves.
Old 01-17-2009, 12:34 AM   #37
Pro

OVR: 16
People can make whatever excuses they want for not wanting a playoff, but none of them make any sense. Playoffs are the *only* way to have a fair determination of a champion. Period.
Old 01-17-2009, 04:26 AM   #38
MVP

speedkills's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acedeck
People can make whatever excuses they want for not wanting a playoff, but none of them make any sense. Playoffs are the *only* way to have a fair determination of a champion. Period.
Once again ...

Old 01-17-2009, 06:26 PM   #39
Pro

HokieB's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedkills
Except both Texas and USC controlled their own destinies. If they both had gone undefeated they would've been in the national championship game - they have no one to blame but themselves.
Oh, so you're saying Utah should have played in the NC game then. That makes more sense.

Edit - My bad. I went back to your original post and see that Utah doesn't apply to the "control your own destiny" argument.

Last edited by HokieB; 01-17-2009 at 06:29 PM.
Old 01-18-2009, 04:01 PM   #40
Rookie

PittmanPla's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieB
Oh, so you're saying Utah should have played in the NC game then. That makes more sense.

Edit - My bad. I went back to your original post and see that Utah doesn't apply to the "control your own destiny" argument.
which is fail.. come on..
they ended #2... and undefeated... nearly the same thing with Boise a couple years ago and Utah in 04
being hot in a great conference > undefeated in a good conference, according to the BCS...
and incidentally, the MWC is being evaluated by the BCS to see if they deserve an auto bid, this was year 1 of 4 in the eval

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »