Home

Taking the Slamball Out of Our NBA Games

This is a discussion on Taking the Slamball Out of Our NBA Games within the NBA Live forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 12-29-2008, 05:19 PM   #9
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7stringking
2k0 DOESallow you to physically tie up offensive players......
But what does it say for the game's idea of defense when the only way you can deny your man the ball is to grab his jersey and hope the ref doesn't catch you committing a blatant foul?

There needs to be a legal way of playing "denial" defense that allows you to keep your defender between his man and the ball while cutting off the passing lanes (it feels like this is something that could be easily assigned to holding down the left trigger).

This would force offensive players to look for backdoor opportunities if they want to attack the basket or use cuts and screens to get open along the perimeter (which is exactly what happens on real basketball courts).

Right now, offensive players are able to run around in circles and move anywhere they want to on the floor as if the defense wasn't even on the court.

But if the developers can give the defense more of a chance to contest passes and physically keep players out of the paint with strength and body positioning (ala Shaq or Patrick Ewing), then it would go a long way to getting the games to resemble a brand of basketball that is more than:

1) Force the ball into the paint

2) Attempt layup/dunk/hook shot

3) ???

4) Profit!!!
Old 12-29-2008, 10:32 PM   #10
Banned

OVR: 10
This is completely false:
"In real life, off-ball players have to make cuts or use screens to get open, but in both of this year’s games, offensive players can simply run around in circles to get open, and the defensive players have no chance at all of staying with their men or deflecting any passes that might get thrown their way. This issue leads to the next problem."

2k9 has an amazing off-ball animation system. the players are constantly moving around as long as you know how to use the play-calling system. Please learn how to play the game properly before criticizing.
Old 12-30-2008, 12:23 AM   #11
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 38
I certainly wouldn't call it "amazing," but I agree that the off-ball system is at least decent in the single-player/head-to-head modes.

However, the focus of the article is strictly limited to the game's online team play mode, where off-ball defense is non-existent.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-30-2008, 09:36 AM   #12
Banned

OVR: 9
I agree DEFENSE needs to be improved..

Turbo DOES NOT need to be taken out...

Can you imagine a football game with no turbo?

That would be AWFUL!!!

Of course Madden is kinda awful anyways
Old 12-30-2008, 09:50 AM   #13
Rookie

OVR: 2
I wouldn't mind seeing turbo taken out as I think the stick gives plenty of opportunity to vary your speed if you like as it is.

I'd improve off-ball defense by allowing off-ball defenders to use lock down D but become much more easily screened when using it.
Old 12-30-2008, 12:42 PM   #14
Banned

Bobolini's Arena

I agree the defense needs to be better and I think the turbo needs to stay but it must have a fatigue penalty for using too much. Could you imagine having a jet with full afterburners all the time.
Old 12-30-2008, 12:59 PM   #15
Collab: xcellnoah@gmail

X*Cell's Arena

OVR: 28
Defenders leaving their feet at the 3 point line always ends up rewarding the shooter... and at the least, like 95% of the time. This game has a hard-on for pump fakes. That alone can ruin a game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-30-2008, 04:22 PM   #16
MVP

Re: Taking the Slamball Out of Our NBA Games

I think Turbo was invented for games like NBA jam when there was no pressure sensitivity on the stick, you know? Now that there is, you really don't need a turbo button.

Also, the ball handler still isn't held to accurate momentum. Too much wiggling! Or what about these dudes that run under the basket, stop, back up, then jump for the dunk. That would never happen. They need to (imo) almost base the animation system purely on dribbling. How cool would that be? I dunno if you guys see what I am saying, but that would make it so that the ball would always be hitting the floor and you wouldn't be able to walk backwards while dribbling (or holding the ball in a palming animation.)

-Smak

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live »