Home

NCAA Basetball 09 Demo Available, Impressions Here

This is a discussion on NCAA Basetball 09 Demo Available, Impressions Here within the NCAA Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Other Basketball Games > NCAA Basketball
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 11-07-2008, 01:32 AM   #113
goh
Banned

OVR: 37
Re: NCAA Basetball 09 Demo Available, Impressions Here

I think it's decent. Seemed to play a little fast and I didn't even get one call going to the basket.
Old 11-07-2008, 01:36 AM   #114
Extra Life 11/3/18

ExtremeGamer's Arena

OVR: 70

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehh
Blah, 37% in an hour and a half. Guess I'll have to try it out tomorrow.
That's PSN, not DSL. I have DSL, got the demo off of XBL in 11 minutes.

Mixer Stream

XBox - ExtremeGamer
PSN - ExtremeGamer
Switch - 4640-8613-7710

Old 11-07-2008, 02:37 AM   #115
TOMBA IS ONLINE

Tomba's Arena

OVR: 65

Quote:
Originally Posted by SageInfinite
I totally agree. Live is really good but needs more sig stuff, 2k9, I wont touch that 1.
wait wait you don't like 2k9? sorry fort bein off topiv but i thought you supported it unless it's too much like 2k7/2k9 for your own liking?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-07-2008, 02:44 AM   #116
CEO - BSG Network

Behindshadows's Arena

OVR: 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomba
wait wait you don't like 2k9? sorry fort bein off topiv but i thought you supported it unless it's too much like 2k7/2k9 for your own liking?
It's poo! And I don't mean Mr. Hankey!

It's just not as good as the series has been before. I'll be trading my copy in tomorrow for Gears 2 and I never trade games...

But I'm not playing the trash anymore after tonight. I've tried every slider set and rosters file in the 2k threads and its just not working for me anymore. I'm tired of the outdated graphics engine, sliding, no defense, lazy roster updates (so called living rosters) And I'm tired of the CPU cheating you out of victories..I played 2 games tonight where I had big leads and the cpu actually took control of my players where they ran off players on defense and let them score freely. And then had me throwing up numerous air balls from short range. I even had layup that hit the bottom of the rim or the edge on fastbreaks...and they ran it back for a score....2k9 is broken.

(BACK ON TOPIC)

I love this demo and the footplanting is done extremely well, and presentation is better but needs a few more touches. Classic Teams look classic now, even with the old Chuck Taylor's on....

Day 1 purchase and can't wait to begin the roster edits.
Old 11-07-2008, 02:50 AM   #117
Hall of Fame

JohnDoe8865's Arena

OVR: 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behindshadows
Day 1 purchase and can't wait to begin the roster edits.
Cool, I was wondering/hoping that you'd be on the case for 360 rosters this year.
Old 11-07-2008, 02:54 AM   #118
CEO - BSG Network

Behindshadows's Arena

OVR: 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDoe8865
Cool, I was wondering/hoping that you'd be on the case for 360 rosters this year.
Yes already have my sites bookmarked and research done and I'm ready to begin...
Old 11-07-2008, 02:57 AM   #119
Stop The GOAT Talk

SageInfinite's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomba
After the Wow factor wore off I saw the garbage that is that game. It doesn't simulate the NBA well at all IMO. Looks great, love the animations and presentation, but the game play is garbage. People bashed Live for having to use sliders to make it more playable, but are willing to play doctor Frankenstein this year for 2k and its not a problem. Even with sliders the game is still not good.

SageInfinite Bandcamp
https://sageinfinite.bandcamp.com/album/interminable
https://soundcloud.com/sageinfinite
Hidden Language Video Feat. Grandmilly
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hf5nW4rGTFM

#makethemaddenforumgreatagain
Old 11-07-2008, 03:04 AM   #120
Banned

OVR: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinyhubcaps
I want to like this game... I know that there is only one officially licensed college basketball game this year, and I know that EA has worked hard on it... but I cannot bring myself to enjoy it for the on-court experience.

1.) Passes are slow and unresponsive to ball-swings.
2.) Pro-hops and hop steps are out from what I can tell. That's a real shame.
3.) You cannot control off-ball (offense) on inbounds plays from what I can tell.
4.) You cannot direct-switch (defense) on inbounds plays.
5.) The direct-switch icons stay up longer than they should. They should only be there when I hold the button, not a bit after. It gets messy if they stay up too long and I want to shoot and end up passing, or if they go away too soon and I want to pass and end up shooting.
6.) The animations are very jerky, and the player models seem to not have been improved.

It just seems that there are some basic basketball skills that are lacking or watered down. Many of the game mechanics seem fundamentally bad. In general, the players seem to lack a sense of control and maneuverability.

I like the classic teams, some of the presentation aspects, and definitely the main menu and load menu. I'm sure that there are many other things that I would like. However, when the core of the game is uncomfortable, then pretty much everything else is affected.

Those are my honest impressions. I am relatively new to college basketball and am excited for the upcoming season, but I cannot see myself buying this game. (For the record, none of my review is contingent on that "other game," the one that was All-Conference last year and benched for this season. The control would feel jerky regardless of what the competition has done. I expected better.)
One of the first negative reviews I've read that at least has some depth and explanations ... and not the "EA sucks" review.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Other Basketball Games > NCAA Basketball »