Home

Old Habits Die Hard: A PES Fan Dabbles in FIFA

This is a discussion on Old Habits Die Hard: A PES Fan Dabbles in FIFA within the EA Sports FIFA Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA > EA Sports FIFA Last Gen
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 10-27-2008, 04:13 PM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
Old Habits Die Hard: A PES Fan Dabbles in FIFA

What happens when you get an old PES fan buying FIFA for the first time in quite awhile? Our own Bryan Estrella is such a person who lived the scenario and is here to share his tale in his latest article, Old Habits Die Hard: A PES Fan Dabbles in FIFA.

Quote:
"As a sports fan living in North America, the latter days of October may seem akin to sports heaven. The World Series is in full swing, we’re in the thick of the NFL and college football season, the NBA and NHL have begun anew, the chase for the Sprint Cup is in its final stretches, and college basketball is right around the corner. Why then is my sporting attention increasingly focused abroad nowadays?"
Platform: Xbox 360 / PS2 / PS3 / Wii / PSP / NDS / PC
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-27-2008, 04:47 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 4
Location: Richmond, VA, but I am from Spain...you know, that country that McCain thinks is in SouthAmerica lol
excellent article. I am in the same boat, and I will receive FIFA in a few days. If I like it, like apparently a lot of PES fans are saying, I will buy it.
Old 10-27-2008, 05:59 PM   #3
Pro

asu666's Arena

OVR: 34
I got back into FIFA with FIFA 08 and then the excellent EURO 2008. FIFA 09 is a nice upgrade on the pitch, but I went back to playing WE9 on my Xbox and find that there is just so much variety in WE/PES that FIFA still has a little work to do. The graphics in FIFA 09 are really nice and the licenses do the trick, but the Manager Mode needs some more depth and I'd like to see more in the details. Each club and league is unique in more than just the on the field stuff.
Old 10-27-2008, 06:58 PM   #4
Hall Of Fame

Matt10's Arena

OVR: 23
excellent article Bryan - I guess deep down I still feel WE/PES is the ruler of my soccer gaming world. FIFA still has those little quirks (slow switching, CPU Cheating, dumb teammate AI) that has relegated itself from my decision making in the past. I always know that WE/PES has been the better game in matters of game play, and am looking forward to be able to compare both 09 versions very soon.
Old 10-27-2008, 07:00 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 3
This is a great article, and very relevant for everyone who likes soccer (or football) video games. I have both Fifa09 and Pro Evo 2009 and, being a long time Pro Evo fan, I am struggling to get used to Fifa, but at this point I feel the game plays slightly better than Pro Evo. But if you loved Pro Evo 08, you are sure to love 09. It is much improved, it plays a great game of football, better graphics and still has new modes like Champios League and Become a Legend.
At the end of the day, it is really hard to say which one is better, and that is why there is much divergence around this topic.
But the most important is that football fans are very lucky this year. Never before there were 2 options that were so good as they are now.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-27-2008, 09:28 PM   #6
Rookie

Peninc's Arena

OVR: 7
Once youve had a few games with pes 2009 please do a follow up to this article. I'm looking forward to it
Old 10-28-2008, 09:13 AM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 6
Nice article. I too am a HUGE WE/PES fan, as the game brough my attention to soccer when i was visiting family overseas and WE6-9 have brough me and my freinds great joy. However, I feel that FIFA 09 is by far superior to any soccer game ever released to date no questions about it.

I couldnt believe myself that I came to that conclusion a few nights ago in my manager mode with a Seria B team called Albinaleffe. The gameplay, the AI, the manager mode, all are amazing.

I still plan on purchasing PES in a few weeks but I doubt it will top FIFA 09, if so then we as soccer fans and sports gaming fans are really lucky!
Old 10-28-2008, 09:16 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 4
Trust me over here in the UK many many people have turned there backs on Pro Evo, I have played every Pro Evo and WE but after Pro Evo 3 it felt like the whole series started to go down hill. I stuck with the game due to some sort of loyalty and the fact Fifa was a parody of a football game at that point. Things started to change when Champions League 2006-2007 arrived and was quite a solid game.

EA really steped it up when Fifa 08 came out and I could no longer ignore the fact that EA actually provided a better product than Knomi. With Fifa 09, I honestly feel that it is the best ever football simulation ever made and I longer care about Pro Evo

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA > EA Sports FIFA Last Gen »