Home

Five Defensive Tips for NBA Live 09

This is a discussion on Five Defensive Tips for NBA Live 09 within the NBA Live forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 10-22-2008, 05:12 PM   #49
GSW
Simnation

GSW's Arena

OVR: 40
Re: Five Defensive Tips for NBA Live 09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumble14
Back from vacation....

I've also found it to be useful to switch up your defensive sets/pressure settings to play better post defense. You have to utilize your team and adjust from there. For example, a team with athletic bigs like the Pistons is going to hav an easier time downlow than a team that is slow like the Knicks (haha). Therefore the Knicks may have to adjust their pressure settings to tight downlow, and assign a double team to the man killing them downlow.

I think the problem many are having is that they refuse to make any adjustments and simply want to play man defense the entire game- guess what? You can't do this and make it work with smaller teams. If you're the Celtics, sure, but if you are the Hawks, you must adjust. Run zones, run traps, play tight coverage, double team in the paint. Adjustments are CRITICAL to stopping the inside game.

Big men will get their points because you can't stop them everytime (realistic), but if you mess around with your adjustments you will be owning scrubs downlow.
ill try this tonight... i just dont feel like Shelden Williams shoulda been able to manhandle brandan wright liek he was doing.

i definitely need to double tema more and use the warriors speed and quick hands in the passing lanes
Old 10-22-2008, 05:22 PM   #50
MVP

OVR: 10

I also think some players may have misperceptions about the ability to "shut down" anybody. "This game's broke!! Kobe lit me up for 30!!! Defense is impossible!"

Uh, hello - It's the NBA, there's no such thing as shutting down. Teams will get their points, period.

But you CAN try and slow them down and force more bad shots than good. Actually, that's all you can do. That's all Don Nelson, Phil Jackson and Reggie Theus can do, too.
Old 10-22-2008, 05:44 PM   #51
yellow

23's Arena

OVR: 65

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSW
i never hold turbo playing post d... i dont try to block the shot persay... but i dont understand how else im supposed to "disturb" a shooter besides jumping..

and they wet it anyway.
I didnt mean you per say just in general but it helps to use it in spurts

You dont let the post man get in comfortable position

Move your feet, dont let him get comfortable ... bump him some then back off a tad then bump him again

yes you do have to jump but if you can get him off balance enough to make him take the shot from where he doesnt want to (deep in the post) you can bother the shot, not always block it.

Some guys you just have to double, like Elton Brand... he's a beast.

It seems to me what happened to me is what has happened to alot of guys here. The more you play it, you'll all of a sudden get it.. Can't explain it you'll start figuring things out right in the middle of playing.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-22-2008, 05:56 PM   #52
GSW
Simnation

GSW's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDRE_OS
I didnt mean you per say just in general but it helps to use it in spurts

You dont let the post man get in comfortable position

Move your feet, dont let him get comfortable ... bump him some then back off a tad then bump him again

yes you do have to jump but if you can get him off balance enough to make him take the shot from where he doesnt want to (deep in the post) you can bother the shot, not always block it.

Some guys you just have to double, like Elton Brand... he's a beast.

It seems to me what happened to me is what has happened to alot of guys here. The more you play it, you'll all of a sudden get it.. Can't explain it you'll start figuring things out right in the middle of playing.
im starting to get that way with the momentum. and dribbles
Old 10-22-2008, 06:22 PM   #53
yellow

23's Arena

OVR: 65

Right so you're figuring out the momentum in the game. That's good.. I think D is the last thing that comes to you, but it comes.

This game is not necessarily the typical way of how were used to playing basketball games the way it controls.
Old 10-23-2008, 03:36 AM   #54
Banned

Court_vision's Arena

OVR: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDRE_OS
This game is not necessarily the typical way of how were used to playing basketball games the way it controls.

Yeah, and it's very hard to play both games this season as using any 2K D means you get burnt in LIVE.

I've shelved 2K for a while to try and master LIVE.
Old 10-23-2008, 11:31 AM   #55
Producer - EA Sports

Bumble14's Arena

OVR: 25

I agree that you just figure things out on Dd eventually in this game. The more you play, thebetter feel you get for players movement and move sets, and the easier shutting teams down becomes.

I was able to hold the Celtics to 35% shooting last night with the Pistons (1st game after latest DNA update-Rondo and Pierce were erradic as heck). I think as the season and DNA starts up****** people will notice that the CPU isn't going to hit as many shots as before the updates (i.e. every open 3).

This is one of those games that I only see getting better once the season comes out because of the DNA. Right now players are playing based on their arbitrary video games ratings. Once Elton Bbrand starts struggling down low this season, the game will reflect this.
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live »