Home

Five Defensive Tips for NBA Live 09

This is a discussion on Five Defensive Tips for NBA Live 09 within the NBA Live forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 10-20-2008, 04:24 AM   #41
Banned

Court_vision's Arena

OVR: 25
Re: Five Defensive Tips for NBA Live 09

Quote:
Originally Posted by bls
Another defensive tip. You have to know a players DNA depending upon who you play. I'll use the Nuggets as an example. If your guarding Iverson, he likes to go to his right so if he does the crossover animation from left to right you have to be prepared to use the lockdown and jump his drive to the right. Because if you don't 9 times out of 10 he'll be successful and you'll be slipping. So what I normally do is shade is right side to begin with and force him to go left. This prevents me from having to deal with the quickstrike crossover and it changes up what he's comfortable doing. Just a tip.
Great post.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-22-2008, 09:01 AM   #42
Rookie

OVR: 2
Hi guys, I dont know if its just me. But when playing on-line, I cant stop the fastbreak. Like after the inbound, I cant anticipate the pass of the point guard. It really frustrate me. Can anybody help me. THANKS!!
Old 10-22-2008, 10:45 AM   #43
GSW
Simnation

GSW's Arena

OVR: 40

Im fiinding it hard to contest shots and get the feeling liek I'm the reaosn they actually missed, computer seems to make almost any shot with a hand in the face

is there somethng im doing wrong

I also need some more tips on post defense.. i cant ever slap the ball away shelden williams went 5-5 on me last night
Old 10-22-2008, 11:42 AM   #44
yellow

23's Arena

OVR: 65

How are you playing post D?

Are you always up on the guy?

Forget about how you play post D in 2k

Think about disturbing his shot instead of just blocking everything.

Don't hold down turbo when you jump (this is a big deal)
Old 10-22-2008, 02:39 PM   #45
Producer - EA Sports

Bumble14's Arena

OVR: 25

Back from vacation....

I've also found it to be useful to switch up your defensive sets/pressure settings to play better post defense. You have to utilize your team and adjust from there. For example, a team with athletic bigs like the Pistons is going to hav an easier time downlow than a team that is slow like the Knicks (haha). Therefore the Knicks may have to adjust their pressure settings to tight downlow, and assign a double team to the man killing them downlow.

I think the problem many are having is that they refuse to make any adjustments and simply want to play man defense the entire game- guess what? You can't do this and make it work with smaller teams. If you're the Celtics, sure, but if you are the Hawks, you must adjust. Run zones, run traps, play tight coverage, double team in the paint. Adjustments are CRITICAL to stopping the inside game.

Big men will get their points because you can't stop them everytime (realistic), but if you mess around with your adjustments you will be owning scrubs downlow.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-22-2008, 02:48 PM   #46
bls
MVP

bls's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumble14
Back from vacation....

I've also found it to be useful to switch up your defensive sets/pressure settings to play better post defense. You have to utilize your team and adjust from there. For example, a team with athletic bigs like the Pistons is going to hav an easier time downlow than a team that is slow like the Knicks (haha). Therefore the Knicks may have to adjust their pressure settings to tight downlow, and assign a double team to the man killing them downlow.

I think the problem many are having is that they refuse to make any adjustments and simply want to play man defense the entire game- guess what? You can't do this and make it work with smaller teams. If you're the Celtics, sure, but if you are the Hawks, you must adjust. Run zones, run traps, play tight coverage, double team in the paint. Adjustments are CRITICAL to stopping the inside game.

Big men will get their points because you can't stop them everytime (realistic), but if you mess around with your adjustments you will be owning scrubs downlow.
True statement right here. If you go and look at your player ratings you'll see that they have help defense ratings and double team effectiveness rating. So if your playing a team such as the Celtics if you change the pressure on rondo to loose and the cpu is guarding him, you'll see sagging off him anticipating helping. But you have to be careful which players you do this to cause if you do it to say a Ray Allen in he's in the corner and your playing loose off him. They can just throw a skip pass across court and it's money. Also certain players like Rondo make be hot at the time so you have to adjust accordingly.
Old 10-22-2008, 03:23 PM   #47
MVP

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumble14
For example, a team with athletic bigs like the Pistons is going to hav an easier time downlow than a team that is slow like the Knicks (haha). Therefore the Knicks may have to adjust their pressure settings to tight downlow, and assign a double team to the man killing them downlow.

Instant double team is mandatory with the "Twin Sloths"

Randolph and Curry wont be mistaken for Tim Duncan and David Robinson anytime soon.
Old 10-22-2008, 05:10 PM   #48
GSW
Simnation

GSW's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDRE_OS
How are you playing post D?

Are you always up on the guy?

Forget about how you play post D in 2k

Think about disturbing his shot instead of just blocking everything.

Don't hold down turbo when you jump (this is a big deal)
i never hold turbo playing post d... i dont try to block the shot persay... but i dont understand how else im supposed to "disturb" a shooter besides jumping..

and they wet it anyway.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live »