Home

Pro Evolution Soccer 2009 Demo Available, Impressions Here

This is a discussion on Pro Evolution Soccer 2009 Demo Available, Impressions Here within the eFootball - Pro Evolution Soccer forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > eFootball - Pro Evolution Soccer
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 10-06-2008, 09:17 PM   #41
Banned

PodSquad's Arena

OVR: 8
Re: Pro Evolution Soccer 2009 Demo Available, Impressions Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyceDa59
You know I didn't even notice the 8 player direction movement until the next gen versions. I remember playing Pes 6 at a friends house on his 360 and I was wondering why they moved like that. Nevertheless, I want back to the PS2 version, if I still had that game I would still play it, no joke.

The PS2 version is still a helluva game. When my xbox broke, I bought PES2008 for my PS2, and its THE EXACT SAME GAME they put out on 360. Its unacceptable to me, this demo has done little to change my views.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-07-2008, 01:22 PM   #42
Rookie

Peninc's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by PodSquad
Thats the way I feel after playing around with the demo. Its just a glossed up last gen game. Im really not impressed, and I seriously wonder how much actual 'work' Seabass and team do in an average year.
Exactly! I think they have simply gotten lazy. FIFA developers work a hell of alot harder than the PES team these days. There is simply no excuse for the way Robben looks in this game for example. The game is distinctly last gen with a hint of shine and new shorts. I can say I think it is a more fun demo to play than the Fifa demo for me but it simply does not cut it. We are in the final two years of next gen consoles lifespan and this is what they have come up with? The same game with a hint of a tweak here and there since PES 4? I have to say im very disappointed here. I wish 2k sports made a soccer game.
Old 10-07-2008, 07:09 PM   #43
MVP

OVR: 7

Finally got to the play the demo albeit it was only one game. I used Italy and played my brother who used France. I remembered the many reasons why I was addicted to older PES versions like no other video game.

The unpredictability of the way the ball moves, the first touches, the smooth game play, it actually gives you total control (or close to it). I won 2-0, and my first goal was a thing of beauty. Pirlo received the ball in the middle and his first touch was a little off as it bounced a few yards away but he got to the ball before Viera did. I managed to get a nice looking chip through pass to Zambrotta down the right side. Zambrotta put a well timed cross that Del Piero succesfully headed home.

My second goal was a run by Del Piero down the left, then a fake shot that left my brother in the dust, a pass to the middle and a Luca Toni strike and goal!

Looking forward to playing a couple more matches tonight. The graphics are alot better (although not up to par with FIFA), and the gameplay is back to its good ol' self.

I'll still be getting FIFA regardless to see how it plays out since so many are saying its PES with a twist.
Old 10-11-2008, 02:52 PM   #44
MVP

lnin0's Arena

OVR: 23

After playing more of both 360 demos I am not feeling it for FIFA.

While FIFA may have better graphics I find it throws too many effects and filters on the screen leaving it looking a bit fuzzy. PES looks more crisp and fluid but not all that 'next-gen'.

FIFA has a ton of AI issues still and no matter how far they have come it still feels like a game of pinball. PES has so much more interaction between a ball handler and defenders and I don't see that in FIFA. In FIFA defender approaches, gets to ball carrier, defender gets ball - and it doesn't really matter who is on either side of the ball. In FIFA you spend all your time passing from player to player to make sure a defender doesn't get close. In PES it is not an overwhelming concern because the steal is not a guarantee. I also think the ball physics, passing, shooting and net are far more realistic in PES.

My problem though is PES has a lot of shotcomings off the pitch. So many so that I don't know that I want to invest $60 in it. I know FIFA is a more rounded package but its shortcoming are far more critical to gameplay and that is something even harder to compromise when it comes down to forking over $60. Overall I think I might just sit it out this year and drop my $60 on one of the other great games coming out this holiday.
Old 10-11-2008, 05:15 PM   #45
MVP

CX1329's Arena

OVR: 16

Football is not the same as table tennis. No real football game looks like PES 2008, and that's really the only point I need to make when I say that FIFA 08 was vastly superior to its competition. If I were to further explain my point, I'd also need to touch upon the weightless feeling of the ball physics, the exceedingly unrealistic pace at which the players move REGARDLESS of remaining stamina, the absurd reflexes of both the CPU keeper and players (they always respond to the shooting animations of my players a split second after they're initiated! o.O), the wild, artificial unpredictability of the CPU keepers, which will save everything in one game and let in 8 goals in the next one, the unrealistic shooting, the sometimes baffling officiating, the AWFUL passing compounded by unrealistic closing down mechanics, and the list goes on.

I was an enthusiastic supporter of PES up to the 6th installment, which was nothing short of brilliant. And granted, FIFA 08 is not devoid of faults, but it's far better than the mockery that PES 08 was, and thus, the FIFA series has definitely secured the support that once belonged to the PES series. I loved the FIFA 09 demo. I'm now downloading the PES 09 demo, and hopefully it will impress me again, just like PES 6. I'm not keeping my hopes up, though.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-12-2008, 05:21 PM   #46
Rookie

Gamecocks625's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by lnin0
My problem though is PES has a lot of shotcomings off the pitch. So many so that I don't know that I want to invest $60 in it. I know FIFA is a more rounded package but its shortcoming are far more critical to gameplay and that is something even harder to compromise when it comes down to forking over $60. Overall I think I might just sit it out this year and drop my $60 on one of the other great games coming out this holiday.
You know, it's $39.99 at Amazon right now.
Old 10-13-2008, 01:20 AM   #47
MVP

OVR: 11

Really hard for me to decide between PES and FIFA

I liked FIFA last year after hearing that PES had lots of slowdown and wasn't very good. FIFA is supposed to be improved on last year's version, but I was just playing the PES demo and it was really fun. The graphics aren't even close to being on the same level, and the ball seemed to be a bit more connected to the players when dribbling than in FIFA but the feel of the game especially when shooting was great.

Suggestions/thoughts?
Old 10-13-2008, 12:35 PM   #48
MVP

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by CX1329
Football is not the same as table tennis. No real football game looks like PES 2008, and that's really the only point I need to make when I say that FIFA 08 was vastly superior to its competition. If I were to further explain my point, I'd also need to touch upon the weightless feeling of the ball physics, the exceedingly unrealistic pace at which the players move REGARDLESS of remaining stamina, the absurd reflexes of both the CPU keeper and players (they always respond to the shooting animations of my players a split second after they're initiated! o.O), the wild, artificial unpredictability of the CPU keepers, which will save everything in one game and let in 8 goals in the next one, the unrealistic shooting, the sometimes baffling officiating, the AWFUL passing compounded by unrealistic closing down mechanics, and the list goes on.

I was an enthusiastic supporter of PES up to the 6th installment, which was nothing short of brilliant. And granted, FIFA 08 is not devoid of faults, but it's far better than the mockery that PES 08 was, and thus, the FIFA series has definitely secured the support that once belonged to the PES series. I loved the FIFA 09 demo. I'm now downloading the PES 09 demo, and hopefully it will impress me again, just like PES 6. I'm not keeping my hopes up, though.
If you go into the demo with your hopes down and thinking it will be bad, you won't like the game. The same would be true in the reverse. I've found I like the PES demo better than the FIFA demo. Both have impressed me, but FIFA can't match the feeling I get when I score in PES. I also feel like in FIFA the CPU constantly closes down and pressures the ball, so there is too much passing to keep it away. In PES, you can try and dribble by your man. You can still do this in FIFA, but they take the ball away much too easily. As a result, I am able to build up attacks and develop a strong midfield game more in PES.

Either way, we have two solid games this year, and competition is a good thing.

Guys, if your cpu will run it, download the PES PC demo with the demo extender. You can set the length of your match up to 90 minutes, so you don't have to worry about 5 minute halves.

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > eFootball - Pro Evolution Soccer »