Home

What NBA 2K Needs to Do to Step Up Its Online Game

This is a discussion on What NBA 2K Needs to Do to Step Up Its Online Game within the NBA 2K Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 10-06-2008, 06:33 PM   #17
Rookie

OVR: 16
These problems sound like problems for most basketball games, and most sports games. In Madden I can run no-huddle and fatigue very little if at all. Progressive player fatigue needs to be in every sports game, where players who get beat up on, the ball ran up the middle, banging in the post, tough man defense, make a difference in the end of a game. If someone runs early, shouldn't both teams tire as they are both running the floor? If the DTs get ran at all game long, should they be 100% in the last two minutes of the fourth? This type of fatigue needs addressed, and imo would be a better option than penalizing a person for playing the game they want to play it.
Old 10-06-2008, 06:45 PM   #18
Rookie

OVR: 3
Re: What NBA 2K Needs to Do to Step Up Its Online Game

Sounds like whining to me. Just like in a real NBA game, players and teams have to adapt to whatever the other team brings to the table. Every competitor should do what they can to win. Or they're just not competing to the best of their ability. "Sim" players cry cheese whenever someone plays too fast for them to follow. The thing is if those same "sim" players could do what the "cheeser" is able to do, they'd do it too. I've played against people that just cry all game long saying I'm cheesing and they go ahead and try to speed up their tempo and try to imitate the plays I'm making. They couldn't do it. They just ended up losing by more. If you play a so-called "cheeser" and are able to do things that were just out of this world and that he just couldn't stop, he wouldn't cry foul. He'd figure out a way around it and/or a way to stop it. For most of you "sim" players, when you encounter a wall you can't break through, you just sit there and cry about it instead of finding a way to break through the wall. For every strategy, there's a counter-strategy. Even early last year when there was that ridiculous double team+steal glitch, I just worked around it and/or used the same tactic on my opponents.

"Sim" people would prefer it if the game was slower because they can't react or think as quickly. They can't keep up in a fast-paced game. They get easily confused and agitated so they cry and whine like the 12 year olds they are. Did the Mavs whine and cry when G-State doubled and pressed for 6 games straight in the playoffs? Nope. What're you supposed to do? Just like in the game. If I don't put loads of pressure on the Spurs. He'll just pick+roll with Duncan or post-up Duncan every time down the floor. So you make him work for it. You start full court pressing. Making him rush his plays and shots. THAT'S BASKETBALL. You make it as difficult for your opponent as possible. It's not the player's fault that they're utilizing this aspect of the game. It's really the developer's fault for not making a better fatigue system.
Old 10-06-2008, 07:11 PM   #19
Rookie

OVR: 1
^^^ my thoughts exactly malone and stockton pick and rolled every play str8 to da hall of fame with nash and amare following their footsteps. Not even avery johnson or mark cuban complained and they cry bout everything.

And if this is all about fatigue. How tired do u expect a player to be when qtrs are 5 min and at least 1 timeout per qtr. if u play against someone and neither one of you call timeouts or sub check the fatigue level at the end of the 2nd and 4th. they probably wont have 100 after halftime. MAN UP AND ADJUST or just play cpu bc they NEVER push the ball or try to win under the 2:00 mark
Old 10-06-2008, 08:29 PM   #20
Rookie

OVR: 4
all i want to say is, people need to play 5 vs 5 online, cause its the most fun i have ever had online in a sports game
Old 10-06-2008, 08:40 PM   #21
Banned

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by swetooth9
I know the lead pass if fixed in 2k9 b/c the players' hands are better this year at picking off balls in the passing lanes...dunno about the double team glitch and foul-line dunks yet though
You sure about that? Cause I know I was abusing the AI with it. Well I wont say abuse but I was able to get it off a little more than I like. Now it might be a difficulty thing since I had it on whatever the game defaults out the box with. After this monday night football game I'll get on for more play time
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-06-2008, 08:45 PM   #22
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 38
Like the article says, the high-pressure defensive strategy is not so much itself to blame as the game engine is to blame for allowing the high-pressure defense to thrive under unrealistic circumstances.

Basically:

-- The game engine needs to make players in high-pressure defenses tire faster.

-- The game engine needs to make things easier for the offense (i.e., more realistic) when moving the ball against pressure defenses (especially with regards to the funky passing game).

That's really all that the article is trying to argue.

And if you can honestly watch the Exhibit C video and tell me that it's anything close to what happens on an NBA court, then I don't know what else to say.

I mean, I've played on high school teams that could handle pressure defense better than the average NBA 2K8 team does. And I mean that not in the sense of actual "stick skills" but in the sense of the offense's AI and animations during high-pressure situations.

Last edited by jyoung; 10-06-2008 at 08:50 PM.
Old 10-06-2008, 09:02 PM   #23
2K OL Legend

amedawg00's Arena

OVR: 15
I was all for the sim movement until suddenly everything under the sky was deemed cheese by "2K establishment" here at OS. Now I can't help but recall what Herm Edwards infamously said regarding his football team's mentality of "HELLO...YOU PLAAAAY TO WIN THE GAME!" If I am in a close game online and I have the rock in my superstars' hands, you better believe I will run a high percentage exploitable play such as the pick and roll if that is the difference between taking a chance winning the game in OT or putting the dagger in my opponents heart at the end of regulation .
Old 10-06-2008, 09:29 PM   #24
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by amedawg00
I was all for the sim movement until suddenly everything under the sky was deemed cheese by "2K establishment" here at OS. Now I can't help but recall what Herm Edwards infamously said regarding his football team's mentality of "HELLO...YOU PLAAAAY TO WIN THE GAME!" If I am in a close game online and I have the rock in my superstars' hands, you better believe I will run a high percentage exploitable play such as the pick and roll if that is the difference between taking a chance winning the game in OT or putting the dagger in my opponents heart at the end of regulation .
That my friends is the problem with online. I run with Minnesota. With my knowledge of post moves, I'm gonna give the ball to Jefferson because that is my star player, but unlike your logic, I'm not gonna cheese pass to him.

I play to win but I can also play without abusing exploits. For the most part, I disagree with most sim players about taking jumpers every time down court as I like to set my jumper up by using post moves.I can literally score every point in the paint off backdoor cuts, up and unders, and layups and make it look realistic. Watch that 3rd video and see how the ballhandler was being "sucked" into animations. Makes NO sense.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen »