Home

NBA Live 09 Demo Released, Impressions Here 360 & PS3

This is a discussion on NBA Live 09 Demo Released, Impressions Here 360 & PS3 within the NBA Live forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 09-12-2008, 10:08 PM   #649
Gameplay Director, NBA2k

OVR: 30
Re: NBA Live 09 Demo Released, Impressions Here (Xbox 360)

Quote:
Originally Posted by edubbs
Not being able to engage with the offensive player in the post with a defender, is REALLY annoying me in this demo.

Beluba, is it possible to lock on to a post player while defending in the paint just like on the perimeter?

I try to engage Gasol while defending him with KG down low, and I end up sliding all over the place. It looks like you can only lock on to perimeter players in this game.

I feel helpless playing 1 on 1 post D.
You should be able to just push your defender into him and the 2 player animation should kick in. Are you holding down LT or no? Although it shouldn't really matter.
Old 09-12-2008, 10:33 PM   #650
You Dead Wrong

Jano's Arena

OVR: 27

I know what edubbs is talking about it happens to me too.

The 2 player animation isn't always responsive especially in the post. A lot of times I'll try to lock into a post player but it won't respond and then I end up giving up an easy basket.

It can get really annoying when the stuff happens each time down the floor. So Beluba does holding LT help in fixing this type of situation?.
Old 09-12-2008, 11:00 PM   #651
Gameplay Director, NBA2k

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jano
I know what edubbs is talking about it happens to me too.

The 2 player animation isn't always responsive especially in the post. A lot of times I'll try to lock into a post player but it won't respond and then I end up giving up an easy basket.

It can get really annoying when the stuff happens each time down the floor. So Beluba does holding LT help in fixing this type of situation?.
it shouldn't matter. At one point holding LT would actually prevent the defender fron engaging in the post, but i thought that was fixed. Try w/o LT and see if it's any better.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-13-2008, 12:04 AM   #652
You Dead Wrong

Jano's Arena

OVR: 27

I tried w/o LT and the result is still hit or miss especially when the player is already moving. It works out a lot better when the player is stationary but once he starts to move I'm helpless.

And on the perimeter its the same way and it makes guarding players a little hard because if they get an inch ahead of you, you're usually beat. While I can get that same position ahead of a defender on offense and, they can usually cut me off or at least start the riding animation before I can get anywhere.

So basically my problem is stopping (or at least slowing down) players that are already on the move. As of right now it can be pretty difficult to stop a moving player with a help defender or the defender the offensive player just beat.

It's a little too black and white for me, its like I'm either in front of him or he's beat me. There's not enough in between going on there, hopefully this aspect is a little more improved in the final game.

By the way this is only when it comes to manual defense when I use LT it makes things a little easier but, I don't really the like computer doing all the work for me you know.
Old 09-13-2008, 01:05 AM   #653
MVP

stizz's Arena

OVR: 16

After playing the demo for a few days I've noticed a few bugs and glitches:
  • Sometimes the defending team will gather at the centre of the court until the opposing team scores.
  • After the first quarter, the camera is focused on the sideline and doesn't change.
  • Sometimes it doesn't show the tip off.
  • You can make the person who is about to set the pick chase you in circles if you run away from him. The ball handler will then just stand there.

Last edited by stizz; 09-13-2008 at 01:52 AM.
Old 09-13-2008, 01:46 AM   #654
Banned

OVR: 24
Re: NBA Live 09 Demo Released, Impressions Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperLantern
Coming from someone who loves NBA 2k...

I'm actually very impressed with this game overall. Sure, the animations are still a little choppy, but there are also some really cool animations in there that I've never seen in a video game. The whole NBA atmosphere is better than it is in 2k, and the graphics are excellent. I'll have to play it a little more to decide on the gameplay, but with how fun this is combined with Live 365, and this may be a surprise hit!
Finally. Someone with an open mind.
If I read one more - "It'll never be 2k" I'm gonna puke.
I agree the 2k series has led the way for at least five years, but does that mean we relegate Live to the dumpster to the end of times?
Geez.
I have played the final build of NBA Live, and while it still doesn't touch 2k for features, its gameplay is very, very solid. This game is a legitimate contender now.
I'm not saying go out and buy Live over 2k. It may not be quite there yet, but a lot of you guys are determined to call it garbage without even giving it a chance.
Old 09-13-2008, 01:59 PM   #655
MVP

For anyone messin' with the brightness setting on their T.V. usin' the EA Logo for optimization: I just found out that lowerin' the brightness on the T.V. actually loses alot of detail. It's better to just move the in-game contrast setting up one notch for optimization. IMO, it looks near photo-realistic! Perfect blacks , and no detail loss.
Still enjoyin' the demo-actually even more! The shot accuracy is just too high, though. Of course, I hate to adjust sliders, so I'd much rather have a patch for this small issue. Other than that, I can't wait to create my custom baller and play in this vibrant and ridiculously pretty game!

Unless......
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-13-2008, 02:24 PM   #656
MVP

But, somethin' that's odd to me about this demo is, in the CPU slider settings the offensive rebounding is only at 17, while the user is at 50. I thought maybe changin' the difficulty up to All-Star there'd be a change-but nothin'. Everything else is the same as the user, so why give the CPU a rebounding handicap?-strange. Maybe, it's just for the demo? I haaate changin' sliders, but that's really unfair. So, in this case I have to. The shooting foul slider I kind of understand bein' a little bit short, but not totally. Not a fan of sliders, period. But especially when they have such a broad range of effect. I say, just keep it simple, with 5 to 10 clicks available of adjustability.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live »