Home

What Head Coach Could Mean to Console Gaming

This is a discussion on What Head Coach Could Mean to Console Gaming within the Operation Sports Content and Other News forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 09-11-2008, 12:29 AM   #9
TCF
Rookie

OVR: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by asu666
The problem here is that there is no game that is a simulation with your approach. HC is not a football game. There is no controlling the players.

EA should put the features in Madden and let cheezers that play 5 minute quarters and turn off the cap so they can sign every superstar to their team do season mode, turn the options off, or sim past them. Without NFL 2K the only option is Madden and EA owes us a complete experience on one disc.
i don't expect to control the players if i am a head coach. nobody should. a coach calls the plays. madden is too much of an arcade game now.

Captain. my bad i misunderstood.
Old 09-11-2008, 09:40 AM   #10
MVP

OVR: 18
Re: What Head Coach Could Mean to Console Gaming

Quote:
The problem here is that there is no game that is a simulation with your approach. HC is not a football game. There is no controlling the players.

EA should put the features in Madden and let cheezers that play 5 minute quarters and turn off the cap so they can sign every superstar to their team do season mode, turn the options off, or sim past them. Without NFL 2K the only option is Madden and EA owes us a complete experience on one disc.
Have you actually played head coach? There are a lot of things in it that would not translate well into a game like Madden. Important decisions that you have to make in Head Coach would become meaningless in a game where you are controlling the players.

I'm all for Madden getting a better franchise mode but not at the expense of this great game.
Old 09-11-2008, 10:54 AM   #11
Pro

asu666's Arena

OVR: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCF
i don't expect to control the players if i am a head coach. nobody should. a coach calls the plays. madden is too much of an arcade game now.

Captain. my bad i misunderstood.
I don't expect to control the players in HC. I was trying to convey that Madden is still missing features and now we have two incomplete experiences instead of one that is pretty much fully featured. There is still no current gen game that blends gameplay with crazy depth for sim fans.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-11-2008, 10:57 AM   #12
Pro

asu666's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercalnd
Have you actually played head coach? There are a lot of things in it that would not translate well into a game like Madden. Important decisions that you have to make in Head Coach would become meaningless in a game where you are controlling the players.

I'm all for Madden getting a better franchise mode but not at the expense of this great game.
Yes, I've had it since launch. Most of the features in HC would fit right into an Owner Mode in Madden. I'm not saying it would be a 1 to 1 port, but it would be close. I'm glad you are enjoying HC. I've put some hours into it and Madden. Both of them feel incomplete to me, so I just think it was a shame that we have two incomplete experiences when the effort could have been put into adding more depth to Madden.
Old 09-11-2008, 12:17 PM   #13
Staff Writer

OVR: 12
Quote:
Yes, I've had it since launch. Most of the features in HC would fit right into an Owner Mode in Madden. I'm not saying it would be a 1 to 1 port, but it would be close. I'm glad you are enjoying HC. I've put some hours into it and Madden. Both of them feel incomplete to me, so I just think it was a shame that we have two incomplete experiences when the effort could have been put into adding more depth to Madden.
I agree...you couldn't wholesale drop HC into Madden, but features like the real time trades, draft, and free agency could work. Plus, I think it would be innovative to somehow depict gameplan preparation in Madden. I'm not sure how that would work exactly. Also, I like that players' ratings are fluid, based on what kind of team you are running--that could work.
Old 09-11-2008, 02:11 PM   #14
MVP

OVR: 11
Re: What Head Coach Could Mean to Console Gaming

Quote:
I don't expect to control the players in HC. I was trying to convey that Madden is still missing features and now we have two incomplete experiences instead of one that is pretty much fully featured. There is still no current gen game that blends gameplay with crazy depth for sim fans.

Please explain how HC is an incomplete experience? HC players do not want to control players if that is to what you are referring. HC isn't perfect by all means, but trying to incorporate "features" of HC into Madden and drop HC is not an option us "sim" football coaches want to accept.

So, do whatever you need to do to keep Madden going, but continue to expand on the HC franchise also for us simulators.
Old 09-11-2008, 08:32 PM   #15
Banned

OVR: 9
Head Coach is just a patch and some better graphics away from being one of the most enjoyable sports, videogame experiences ever...And I am a serious 2k fanboy who has been EXTREMELY critical of EA in recent years.The people in charge of this game need a raise, and they have my gratitude for creating a great NFL world.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-12-2008, 02:41 PM   #16
Pro

asu666's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloeyEZ
Please explain how HC is an incomplete experience? HC players do not want to control players if that is to what you are referring. HC isn't perfect by all means, but trying to incorporate "features" of HC into Madden and drop HC is not an option us "sim" football coaches want to accept.

So, do whatever you need to do to keep Madden going, but continue to expand on the HC franchise also for us simulators.
It would be a lot closer to a complete experience if EA used the Madden graphics engine and let users have the ability to play the games. I would love to have that much depth and not have things like the CPU snapping the ball with 25 or 30 seconds still left on the play clock on every down.

« Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News »