Home

What Head Coach Could Mean to Console Gaming

This is a discussion on What Head Coach Could Mean to Console Gaming within the Operation Sports Content and Other News forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 09-10-2008, 09:59 AM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
What Head Coach Could Mean to Console Gaming

NFL Head Coach 09 is a game which has risen up from the ashes of it's older brother to stand out on it's own as a good game. What will the game mean to console sports gaming in a few years? Is Head Coach 09 the start of a trend or just an aberration? Join our very own Caley Roark as he looks at the potential future implications of a successful text-sim/console game hybrid.

Quote:
"The first iteration of NFL Head Coach failed to make an impact on console gaming. First, it was released at the end of a generation, a time of transition for gamers who had either moved on to new consoles or were saving up for them. Secondly, it wasn't a well-received game by critics or consumers."
Platform: Xbox 360 / PS3
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-10-2008, 11:06 AM   #2
Pro

asu666's Arena

OVR: 34
It could mean that features are being held out of Madden so EA can double dip.
Old 09-10-2008, 12:22 PM   #3
Banned

OVR: 8
You could never have an online coach vs play mode without ruining the experience for one of the two players. Button mashing and quick reflexes vs scheming and gameplanning can't co-exist in the football videogame world (not in person v person match ups at least). Madden players would feel inhibited and head coach players would see huge drop in realism.
Old 09-10-2008, 01:44 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 11
I love playing the franchise parts of sports games....... and simming most of the playing part and handling the front office matters most and having a blast doing so....... during the quiet time of the sports video games this year i purchased to text based games 1. football mogul and 2. OOTPBB while one was very weak (football mogul) and the other being very fun as I progressed way into 2050 and the introduction of female ball players and seeing old ones enter the hall of fame and such......
my only wish was that it had actual gameplay to go along with the terrific front office aspect to the game.... hopefully 2Ks next footballer or NBA game will have these featured built in or 2K can release a text based sports game for the 360/PS3
Old 09-10-2008, 03:34 PM   #5
Pro

asu666's Arena

I feel like EA should add an Owner Mode to Madden simular to MLB: The Show's. They had something simular last generation, but it has yet to appear four games into this generation.

By calling plays and signing players you are already essentially doing the activities in Head Coach. EA should just add the depth into Madden and give users the ability to disable it if they want or sim past it. Madden should be an all inclusive NFL experience, not one that requires mulitple products and disc swapping.

They could sell a version like the one that is out now that is the core gameplay experience and Franchise Mode for $60 and sell the pimped out version for $70 or $80. I'll gladly pay the extra money to get a fully feature game on one disc. I think a lot of us would.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-10-2008, 04:43 PM   #6
TCF
Rookie

OVR: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Mallow
You could never have an online coach vs play mode without ruining the experience for one of the two players. Button mashing and quick reflexes vs scheming and gameplanning can't co-exist in the football videogame world (not in person v person match ups at least). Madden players would feel inhibited and head coach players would see huge drop in realism.
i will disagree. it could be done hc vs hc but not player vs hc. that wouldn't make no sense. but i would love to go up against another person who is a head coach and see how well i match up in strategy vs strategy.

Quote:
# 4 asu666 @ 09/10/08 11:34 AM
I feel like EA should add an Owner Mode to Madden simular to MLB: The Show's. They had something simular last generation, but it has yet to appear four games into this generation.

By calling plays and signing players you are already essentially doing the activities in Head Coach. EA should just add the depth into Madden and give users the ability to disable it if they want or sim past it. Madden should be an all inclusive NFL experience, not one that requires mulitple products and disc swapping
owner mode ruined madden in the last generation. it was completely stupid because you had ot set prices for everything especially when the owner really isn't part of that he just collects the revenues and signs the paychecks for the players. i dont' mind designing plays and helping the gm negotiate a deal with a player. but no way do i want to be part of having to sit figure out the price of hotdogs or whatever.

madden should stick with what it does best be a arcade style game. if they want to incorporate the 2 games then leave HC in its own way if people want to play the franchise otherwise let madden be the arcade and the franchise players have HC.
Old 09-10-2008, 05:41 PM   #7
Pro

asu666's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCF
i will disagree. it could be done hc vs hc but not player vs hc. that wouldn't make no sense. but i would love to go up against another person who is a head coach and see how well i match up in strategy vs strategy.

owner mode ruined madden in the last generation. it was completely stupid because you had ot set prices for everything especially when the owner really isn't part of that he just collects the revenues and signs the paychecks for the players. i dont' mind designing plays and helping the gm negotiate a deal with a player. but no way do i want to be part of having to sit figure out the price of hotdogs or whatever.

madden should stick with what it does best be a arcade style game. if they want to incorporate the 2 games then leave HC in its own way if people want to play the franchise otherwise let madden be the arcade and the franchise players have HC.
The problem here is that there is no game that is a simulation with your approach. HC is not a football game. There is no controlling the players.

EA should put the features in Madden and let cheezers that play 5 minute quarters and turn off the cap so they can sign every superstar to their team do season mode, turn the options off, or sim past them. Without NFL 2K the only option is Madden and EA owes us a complete experience on one disc.
Old 09-10-2008, 07:18 PM   #8
Banned

OVR: 8
TCF wrote: "it could be done hc vs hc but not player vs hc. that wouldn't make no sense. but i would love to go up against another person who is a head coach and see how well i match up in strategy vs strategy."

Umm...that's what I wrote in the first place.

« Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News »