Home

NBA Live 09 Demo Released, Impressions Here 360 & PS3

This is a discussion on NBA Live 09 Demo Released, Impressions Here 360 & PS3 within the NBA Live forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live
NBA 2K25 Cover Athletes - Jayson Tatum, A'ja Wilson and Vince Carter
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive and Analysis
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games

Old 09-08-2008, 10:48 PM   #561
Banned

OVR: 29
Re: NBA Live 09 Demo Released, Impressions Here (Xbox 360)

After playing a bit more, I actually kind of enjoy it. I only really understand the basics of basketball strategies, so I can't comment much on that.

But I like that when I hit the layup/dunk button in close with KG he'll make a little step or whatever, and go up and slam it, or do a hook shot - or basically something I actually wanted him to do.

I never played 2k8, but 2k6 and 2k7 both were an issue for me in that department. I'd get frustrated trying to dunk it or do that hook because my player would often do completely different things... Like jump up and throw a layup off the back of the backboard and out of bounds. Or turn around and jack up some ugly shot.

I really actually like the shooting control in the game. But I wish there was a shot stick like 2k's for the regular shooting. It just feels better for some reason.

I also like the blocking. I had a sweet block at the end of the demo with something like 2 seconds left. KG just swatted away a game tying shot from someone at mid-range and it felt awesome.

Anyway - at first I didn't like it at all. But playing it a few more times, it's actually a pretty fun game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-09-2008, 09:58 AM   #562
KG
Welcome Back

KG's Arena

OVR: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmood88
I still don't like the animations. Almost everything the players do have a hitch or an unnatural transition, which looks pretty bad.
I just think the players move a little too organic for my taste, especially when you hit turbo. I did see a very nice And-1 animation on a jumper I hit with KB24. Would have loved to see the replay but its not in the demo which is perfectly understandable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by savoie2006
It's amazing how people get once they actually have to buy their own sh*t. Suddenly they over analyze everything and want ultra realism and near perfection. Back in the days of nintendo and NHL '94 nobody cared because their moms was buying the sh*t for 'em. Funny how when it's your money going down the drain, it matters.

Me personally, I play video games for fun, not for realism. Yeah a touch of realism is nice, but not everything has to be so realistic for me to enjoy a game.I mean first person shooter games are usually far from realistic, but they are still fun.
Why is it amazing? My gaming expectations in '08 are not the same as they were in '94. If yours are then more power to you but I would assume that in 14yrs with the technological advances we are fair to demand a little bit more. For the most part this board is comprised of hard core gamers. If not every post on here would be the same, "This game is great" blah blah blah. All of us want to have fun, you can't knock us for wanting it to imitate real life.

As for my impressions. I only played a couple of games and I really struggled with it considering I haven't played Live in years. While I love the playcalling feature, the lack of velocity on passes kills my enjoyment of that as well as on fast breaks. Somehow I ended up shooting a right-handed three with odom and a fade-away left handed three with Kobe. I could have very well hit the layup button but Lamars was a normal jumpshot.

The commentary and presentation were top notch. I did see Rondo dominate the ball a little bit too much but when I slacked off Ray Allen he didn't hesitate to shoot. There is one steal animation that looks sort of like when a big man steps up and hedges on a pick and roll. I really liked that one. Rebounding felt improved but I'm worthless with the QSA right now. I need to practice more in the gym but I'm very curious to see what the atmosphere would be like during the course of the year.

Overall, while I think it's a nice step in the "sim" direction, I couldn't justify a purchase of this solely based on the demo.
Old 09-09-2008, 11:15 AM   #563
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgx2thez
Why is it amazing? My gaming expectations in '08 are not the same as they were in '94. If yours are then more power to you but I would assume that in 14yrs with the technological advances we are fair to demand a little bit more. For the most part this board is comprised of hard core gamers. If not every post on here would be the same, "This game is great" blah blah blah. All of us want to have fun, you can't knock us for wanting it to imitate real life.
I don't think that he was saying that our expectations are too high. I believe that he was just echoing my comment about people being very nitpicky with these games. It 's never too much to expect for a game to be as true to life as it can, but to want things to be exactly like real life is too lofty. So, you're right, we can demand a little more, but people griping and complaining about things like shots always swishing the nets, no rimmed in shots, banked in shots only on layups and low post moves is just ridiculous. Yeah, having these things are nice, but the absence of them isn't something to whine about. You know what I mean?
Old 09-09-2008, 11:40 AM   #564
KG
Welcome Back

KG's Arena

OVR: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinngadd
I don't think that he was saying that our expectations are too high. I believe that he was just echoing my comment about people being very nitpicky with these games. It 's never too much to expect for a game to be as true to life as it can, but to want things to be exactly like real life is too lofty. So, you're right, we can demand a little more, but people griping and complaining about things like shots always swishing the nets, no rimmed in shots, banked in shots only on layups and low post moves is just ridiculous. Yeah, having these things are nice, but the absence of them isn't something to whine about. You know what I mean?
I don't think those things are ridiculous at all. If you're a Spurs fan and you try to shoot Duncan's patent shot off the glass and it never goes off the glass then that "little" issue suddenly becomes a "little" bigger.

Now, if they had to sacrifice these things for the sake of more important aspects then I'm all for it and agree with you 100%.
Old 09-09-2008, 01:20 PM   #565
MVP

phant030's Arena

OVR: 14

Been playing the demo a few days.

Pros:
-New dribbling mechanics..more of the freestyle control look and feel
-Aggressive nature of jumpshots, dribble drive, layups/dunks
-Defense..(contact, falling on fouls)
-Different free throw routines/shots

Cons:
-Lack of ball/rim interaction on jumpshots (possibly rmv for demo)
-Arch on jumpers, while a good visual aid...perfect arch doesnt mean basket all the time)

BIG Issue: With perfect Release I'm constantly able to hit 35-40 ft jumpers. I know u should never shoot these as they are bad shots. BUT, they are only bad shots b/c players can make the shot but a very low percentages. This needs to be addressed imo.

Last edited by phant030; 09-09-2008 at 01:46 PM. Reason: Extra info
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-09-2008, 01:45 PM   #566
DC
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrestlinggod1
can anyone post the demo? i can't go on live with no connection. please?
hahahahahahahahahah post it how
Old 09-09-2008, 03:14 PM   #567
Rookie

OVR: 1
I'm sorry but Live is suck. I tried to see what EA can come up with this year and again they failed. The only improvement is the court is smaller and they put alittle bit more meat on the players instead of the stick figures from 08. Man you guys got a few years to catchup to 2k. They shoot akwardly, every shot goes in, theirs no facial expressions, this is just a waist of 60 bucks. I'm sorry but just put all your energy into Madden games. Call it quit for any more b-ball games. Blast me all ya want, but you know it, all this hype, and all these video pics are just for marketing purpose, there is very slight and minumal improvements atleast from EA fans standpoint not to a 2k sports fanatic.
Old 09-09-2008, 03:25 PM   #568
MVP

stizz's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by black4sho
I'm sorry but Live is suck.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live »