Home

NBA Live 09 Demo Released, Impressions Here 360 & PS3

This is a discussion on NBA Live 09 Demo Released, Impressions Here 360 & PS3 within the NBA Live forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 09-05-2008, 01:13 AM   #297
All Star

OVR: 20
Re: NBA Live 09 Demo Released, Impressions Here

The animations are a little jerky in the demo but I really think that I'm going to buy this game and not NBA2k9. After 4 years of NBA2k, I'm kind of burned out on the series. Live plays a much more open style of play that I think better replicates the NBA. Once I can figure out the controls and playcalling, the game will only get better. If Live producers spend 2009 on drastically increasing animations, this will be an incredible game for next year.
Old 09-05-2008, 01:14 AM   #298
Livin' the dream

Stumbleweed's Arena

OVR: 39

Okay, I definitely notice the hitch with the blocking. It's just a slight delay, and it seems like they basically gather themselves before they jump... Sometimes they'll take a kind of hop step forward before going for the block (to get extra elevation) or just bend their knees to jump. I guess that's sort of a good thing (momentum-based is good), but it makes it nearly impossible to challenge shots, especially quick hooks and whatnot in the post.

It seems to happen sometimes with steals too -- they take a second before swiping at it. Same with rebounds. I hope they tighten that up a bit and it's just a demo issue. Pared, did you notice that in the build you played at Community Day?
Old 09-05-2008, 01:22 AM   #299
MVP

Brian_OS's Arena

OVR: 14

Once I bumped the gameplay speed slider all the way up it seemed to eliminate the hitching...
Old 09-05-2008, 01:31 AM   #300
CEO - BSG Network

Behindshadows's Arena

OVR: 50

I told everyone along time ago to bump the speed up to 75 and its a lot smoother. I think Tomba321 hit on that as well in an earlier post.

Ok! I got 3 videos coming each with individual style gameplay, one is just to show shots and animations and the overall run of the game.

2nd is to show off Ankle Breaker and the different post game moves and signature jumpers. And a few good screen plays.

3rd is the complete package, free-throws, playcalling, signature moves and better and smoother gameplay. Also video three will show you how to pace the game and get people open for good shots.

Video 1 is done and uploaded will post all three at once.

Video 2 is uploading now.

Video 3 I'm about to start playing and recording in one hour. Practicing more, to assure it comes out good enough.

Peace.

Also out of every post in here, I haven't heard one person mention how great the foot planting is, and how there is 0 sliding.... this is one main reason the game seems slow to some people. They aren't sliding all over the place and moving crazy. Instead its actually animating foot movement and planting while in different motions.
Old 09-05-2008, 01:34 AM   #301
Livin' the dream

Stumbleweed's Arena

There's still a delay between you pushing the button and your guy going for the block attempt though... that's the issue. And I noticed it on steals and rebounds also -- I think it's just a component of the momentum, but it makes it very difficult to ever contest quick shots.

My other gripe is that (at least in the demo), the guys don't actually go for blocks often enough, they always seem to back off to avoid the foul and it results in a shot that may as well be wide-open. So combine the late contest with the lowered hands and you get all these Ray Allen/Pierce swishes from deep... Think that's the main reason for all the shots falling, because whenever I get a real contest, it seems to work. Just have to anticipate the shot I guess... hope they make it a little more responsive. Constant pumpfakes, especially with quick release shooters online would be impossible to deal with.

Last edited by Stumbleweed; 09-05-2008 at 01:37 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-05-2008, 01:37 AM   #302
yellow

23's Arena

OVR: 65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behindshadows2
I told everyone along time ago to bump the speed up to 75 and its a lot smoother. I think Tomba321 hit on that as well in an earlier post.

Ok! I got 3 videos coming each with individual style gameplay, one is just to show shots and animations and the overall run of the game.

2nd is to show off Ankle Breaker and the different post game moves and signature jumpers. And a few good screen plays.

3rd is the complete package, free-throws, playcalling, signature moves and better and smoother gameplay. Also video three will show you how to pace the game and get people open for good shots.

Video 1 is done and uploaded will post all three at once.

Video 2 is uploading now.

Video 3 I'm about to start playing and recording in one hour. Practicing more, to assure it comes out good enough.

Peace.

Also out of every post in here, I haven't heard one person mention how great the foot planting is, and how there is 0 sliding.... this is one main reason the game seems slow to some people. They aren't sliding all over the place and moving crazy. Instead its actually animating foot movement and planting while in different motions.

I always knew it would take time for people to get used to the footplanting thing. Most of us are used to the sliding effect that has been in games for years.

BTW, where is vid #1 uploaded?
Old 09-05-2008, 01:41 AM   #303
All Star

DakkoN's Arena

OVR: 37

Something that has happened a few times to me here in the last little bit and is starting to aggravate me is when Gasol and I jump at the exact same time, yet he is able to grab the ball, come down, and go back up for a dunk before my feet ever hit the ground from the first jump.
Old 09-05-2008, 01:45 AM   #304
Livin' the dream

Stumbleweed's Arena

Here, just made this video -- nothing special, I basically get owned by KG in the post. A nice pumpfake three by Fisher and some pretty moves from KG. I cranked up the foul sliders for that game, so that's the reason for all the calls.

Heh, BehindShadows videos will surely blow mine out of the water quality-wise, but I figured it's "the more the merrier" for you PS3/Live Silver people who can't get the demo yet..

Last edited by Stumbleweed; 09-05-2008 at 01:47 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live »