Home

NBA Live 09 Demo Released, Impressions Here 360 & PS3

This is a discussion on NBA Live 09 Demo Released, Impressions Here 360 & PS3 within the NBA Live forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 09-05-2008, 12:20 AM   #289
MVP

jewelz1132's Arena

OVR: 12
Re: NBA Live 09 Demo Released, Impressions Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigeastbumrush
Horrible footage on Pasta's part. I didn't see him call one play. He played poor defense. The turnaround 3 by Allen.

He played it so poorly. Reminds me of the old IGN 2K footage.
calling about 2-3 plays would run the whole quarter out lol
Old 09-05-2008, 12:27 AM   #290
MVP

OVR: 24

After playin' more realistically, I'll say it's definitely decent. But the ankle-breakers are just awkward. The one thing Madden got right this year was the ability to change animations on the fly. It would've been nice to that quick uncanned smoothness implemented into this game.
And the way-too-dramatic-kung-fu-kick-fadaway has got to go.
Old 09-05-2008, 12:39 AM   #291
All Star

HMcCoy's Arena

OVR: 35

After two games,

Live 365. Wow. It will be so AWESOME to watch a game, and then to go play it and have the CPU do what the real life team did...going on similar runs and whatnot. LOVE that feature.

really nice interactive animations, and some impressive contextual animations also. "little things" threads are usually built on these types of unique situational animations kicking in here and there, and the ones in Live are GREAT.

Player faces are hit and miss, but when the hit, it's impressive.

Like the new practice floor. PP was actually standing there dancing to the beat when I stopped playing for a minute.

Commentary and presentation are pretty both great.

Overall sound is excellent. Good atmosphere, great rim sounds and chatter.

Negatives...

Hate the crowd. The cardboard cutouts, and super low res floor seat fans look pretty bad IMO.

The ball looks way too big to me.

The ball physics are really, really bad. Floaty passes, floaty shots.

Freestyle moves are a little And-1ish

Everything still moves too quickly and jerky for my tastes, so I` slowed down the speed. Few minutes later on a break I couldn't get Kobe to run. I gave him the outlet, and was laying on the turbo, but it was like he was in quicksand.

It's Much easier to get around without 2K's clunky dribble moves kicking in at every direction change, but then the movement feels kinda blah to me. You don't get that "actually handling the ball" feel you get with 2k and I miss it.

Various AI issues.

I like it alot, especially the Live 365 ...but I can't see buying both yet...still not quite smooth enough.

Last edited by HMcCoy; 09-05-2008 at 12:43 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-05-2008, 12:49 AM   #292
Books Nelson Simnation

Bornindamecca's Arena

OVR: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMcCoy

Freestyle moves are a little And-1ish

It's Much easier to get around without 2K's clunky dribble moves kicking in at every direction change, but then the movement feels kinda blah to me. You don't get that "actually handling the ball" feel you get with 2k and I miss it.
-Freestyle moves are VERY And1. They need more efficient change of direction based moves, and less fiddling around with the basketball

-You know that if you ride around circumference of the analog stick, the Isomotion never kicks in, right? You're an experience player, but I feel compelled to mention it, because isomotion never gets in the way of me moving around

-Totally agree on the point of handling the ball. When you turn the speed up, it's almost like hockey for the L analog, and basketball for the R analog
Old 09-05-2008, 12:55 AM   #293
Banned

OVR: 3

nothing on PSN...damn I am going to school now.
Old 09-05-2008, 01:01 AM   #294
All Star

rockchisler's Arena

OVR: 40

people talk about the slow speed of the game, Please watch this Spurs vs Lakers game and compare speed, it is about the same. Now pop in 2k8 and compare, there is to much turning on a dime for me, not much momentum based movement for me ( weight shifting and then moving ) compared to Live. Just my opinion.

Follow me on www.Twitter.com/Rockchisler

Just type [ SPOILER ] and [ / SPOILER ], without any spaces.

ROOKIE KILLER

Last edited by rockchisler; 09-05-2008 at 01:07 AM.
Old 09-05-2008, 01:05 AM   #295
Hall Of Fame

RubenDouglas's Arena

OVR: 28

A few bulletpoint random thoughts:

-graphically players have no hamstrings or thighs. when their shorts go up a bit, its funny to see how thin they are.

-I can leave kobe open 100% of the time, and only 50% of the time will the cpu recognize that and go to him. other times, he will remain open and the CPU goes through the motions of its offensive, aka BEYOND predictable. are they so in TUNE with tendencies and DNA settings that they go beyond whats logical??

- more on kobe. when he gets the ball on those WIDE open unguarded attempts, He will shoot it straight up as an uncontested jumper 80% of the time. i guess this has some realism to it, but he got 5 attempts in the 1st quarter and shot long 2 pt jumpers each time, MAKING none of them. come 2nd qrt. he does the same thing, missing another. no driving in his DNA that game i guess although he was given the room. The other 20% of the time he will drive or post up and NEVER pass. maybe im looking too much into kobe but he's a blackhole in this game.

-I've had instances where either Turiaf or Fisher would back down my player for 5-6 seconds and just run out the clock. its like he lost his brain for a second. Ive seen that AI blunder about once every 4 minute game interval.

-I turned up all of the foul sliders almost to max and they definetly work. although the CPU has no awareness on many instances and will FOUL shooters. they play like my little 8 year old cousin sometimes. logic of a child

-I feel like I lack control in many animations. I dont feel any jerkiness infact its the opposite and i feel like im in quick sand.

-I keep on restarting the game, to continue with my same settings. One thing I notice is a total lack of play calling. Maybe 1 in 5 instances will the cpu call something. almost ALWAYS its just a quick shot by someone NOT kobe.

-Jumpshots either swish in or clank off the rim. Layups do seem to bounce a bit. I love some variety.

-many layups dont use the glass bringing memories back from a prior 2k game where layups basically just arched straight into the hoop for a swish. I had a perkins layup do just that as he was going full speed.

-way too many and1 MAKES. I turned up the foul sliders as mentioned above and ive seen 10 in about 40 minutes of play action. from jumpshots to layups, its maybe a 1 to 1 ratio between fouls on a shot that missed and fouls that had the and1 make.

-many instances of CPU getting offensive rebounds when my big man is obviously there and in position. frustrating as hell. sliders man fix that.

-first game i played gasol blocked my garnett human controlled plauer 3 times in a row. from then on, I turned down the blocking slider for both human and user and that basically solved that issue.

more impressions later on.

if I can master these controls (if thats my issue) and learn to adapt to the controls so that i dont feel so out of control, this game has some great potential

Last edited by RubenDouglas; 09-05-2008 at 01:16 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-05-2008, 01:08 AM   #296
Books Nelson Simnation

Bornindamecca's Arena

OVR: 43

I had no issues with blocks on either side of the ball. I don't doubt that it's happening for other people, but it's strange. Every block has been logical.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live »