Home

NHL 09 Fridays: Community Questions #3

This is a discussion on NHL 09 Fridays: Community Questions #3 within the EA Sports NHL Legacy forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 08-25-2008, 10:25 PM   #17
#BringBackFaceuary

ChaseB's Arena

OVR: 40
Re: NHL 09 Fridays: Community Questions #3

Custom soundtracks have been done on both consoles so it's not a harder to develop thing at this point. Especially since the Burnout guys have done it and that's EA now.
Old 08-25-2008, 11:00 PM   #18
Rookie

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by OddyOh
That's the common excuse anyway, I wouldn't accept that as an answer. But I can't blame EA for this glaring omission...I'd suspect Sony didn't get Custom Soundtracks support into the SDK until it was too late for NHL 09. I think Sony didn't enable it until the Spring, iirc.
Well, it's a fact that MS went to lengths to make sure their console was developer friendly, much more than Sony did.

Quote:
That said, there's no reason that EA can't patch it later on...this is now very common across several PS3 titles.
Possible? Yes. Likely? No.

Quote:
Also some PS3 games are starting to feature built-in uploading of video to YouTube...I hope EA makes that happen too, for NHL 2010. Dunno if the 360 has the horsepower for that. Maybe they can miss out on that feature next year. Fair is fair.
Can't you upload to EASportsworld or whatever it's called in Madden already? on 360 no less.
Old 08-25-2008, 11:05 PM   #19
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseB
Custom soundtracks have been done on both consoles so it's not a harder to develop thing at this point. Especially since the Burnout guys have done it and that's EA now.
Could you elaborate a little bit on Burnout's custom soundtrack system? I haven't played any version of that game in ages, so I can't really make any fair comparisons. I will however suggest that if in Burnout, you can simply exchange the background songs with your own, then that seems quite little compared to what the NHL 09 crew is trying to attack. Also let's not forget that while EA may be one large company, EA Canada does not (correct me if I'm wrong) make Burnout, and while they may share their secrets, they, much like other companies spread into different development crews, are basically little companies just functioning under the same name (see R*).
Old 08-26-2008, 12:47 AM   #20
#BringBackFaceuary

ChaseB's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by rellix1
Could you elaborate a little bit on Burnout's custom soundtrack system? I haven't played any version of that game in ages, so I can't really make any fair comparisons. I will however suggest that if in Burnout, you can simply exchange the background songs with your own, then that seems quite little compared to what the NHL 09 crew is trying to attack. Also let's not forget that while EA may be one large company, EA Canada does not (correct me if I'm wrong) make Burnout, and while they may share their secrets, they, much like other companies spread into different development crews, are basically little companies just functioning under the same name (see R*).
I don't think the Burnout guys keep it hidden. And yes I'm well aware of the differences, but nonetheless -- it's not like it's impossible.

Burnout it's for the background tracks as you race -- just like it has always been.
Old 08-26-2008, 09:54 AM   #21
Rookie

Quote:
I don't think the Burnout guys keep it hidden. And yes I'm well aware of the differences, but nonetheless -- it's not like it's impossible.

Burnout it's for the background tracks as you race -- just like it has always been.
Well - replacing background music I imagine is very easy, as you literally just specifying the location of the MP3/whatever you're going to play.

Organizing this for different portions of a game, while it may be similar in specifying the file, it also has to deal with a vast number of files (assuming do you different sounds for every arena). This is not a 1 for 1 switch, but rather a 30 for 1.

I'm not going to defend their decision, I'm not part of EA and I don't know what's *really* going on back there, but what I can say is that there are numerous issues developers must deal with for the PS3 that are virtually nonexistent on the 360, and custom soundtracks were probably placed on the backburner.

Last edited by rellix1; 08-26-2008 at 09:57 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-26-2008, 02:26 PM   #22
#BringBackFaceuary

ChaseB's Arena

This is an argument that was valid more than a year ago. It's not anymore.
Old 08-26-2008, 02:36 PM   #23
Rookie

Quote:
This is an argument that was valid more than a year ago. It's not anymore.
Can't pass the class without showing your work.

I really don't understand what makes this year invalid vs. last year. This is the first year EA Canada has implemented this type of feature - are we forgetting that?

Last edited by rellix1; 08-26-2008 at 02:41 PM.
Old 08-26-2008, 04:45 PM   #24
#BringBackFaceuary

ChaseB's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by rellix1
Can't pass the class without showing your work.

I really don't understand what makes this year invalid vs. last year. This is the first year EA Canada has implemented this type of feature - are we forgetting that?
I'm just saying the, "well it's hard to develop on PS3" argument is very tired, don't let developers and publishers keep using it. These major third parties know what they're in for at this point.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy »