Home

Closing the Gap Between NBA Live and NBA 2K

This is a discussion on Closing the Gap Between NBA Live and NBA 2K within the NBA Live forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 08-10-2008, 01:12 AM   #49
All Star

DakkoN's Arena

OVR: 37
Re: Closing the Gap Between NBA Live and NBA 2K

They both look awful on PS2. They both play awful on PS2.
Old 08-10-2008, 06:27 PM   #50
S*nny *n Ph*l*d*lph* FTW

beauboy00's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swag.So.Official
live is the **** 2k graphics ar weak compared to live atleast on ps2

I don't think the ps2 is a good console to judge a game's graphics on! rofl
Old 08-10-2008, 10:05 PM   #51
Pro

OVR: 7

to be honest, after playing 2k8 all year for the past three years. im sick of it. (i have sold it two months early to give myself a break and hopefully when 2k9 comes out i will like it more than i am expecting to)

i dont deny the game is brilliant. but the gameplay is starting to look a little aged. its still the best bball game out there. but that doesn't stop me from being bored with it.

in a few years live will have a great game on their hands (and for those who dont believe it look at nhl 08-09, and fifa 08-09, two series' that have thrived on next-gen.)

2k9 looks nice. but the commentary and sound still sucks and the gameplay, minus a few new animations, looks the same.

a game with less faults each year is great, but what happens when you get bored. it needs to start evolving in a more substantial way, especially when you consider the core engine is the same that was used on last gen.

i'm not asking for a restart of the engine, just a new technology of somekind added to it to make the experience really fresh. a risk here or there.

this is the main reason i will be picking up both 2k and live together (the first time i have ever bought a live game) simply because i know after a (now surely shorter) while i will need something different from 2k9 to fill my basketball obsession. i dont care if live 09 is not as good as it looks, it will be different, and im sure after live 08 it will be very playable.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-11-2008, 12:14 AM   #52
You Dead Wrong

Jano's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrisguitar

this is the main reason i will be picking up both 2k and live together (the first time i have ever bought a live game) simply because i know after a (now surely shorter) while i will need something different from 2k9 to fill my basketball obsession. i dont care if live 09 is not as good as it looks, it will be different, and im sure after live 08 it will be very playable.
I agree with you on this part here about the boredom you can get from 2K. From 2k6 to 2K8 I always began to get tired of the games after a certain point because I would always let some of the games faults take away from my enjoyment of the game.

And I think most of that boredom came from not having a game to give me a change of pace. But this year looks different because Live looks it might be a solid bball game.

I think having a game that can give players a change of pace is great for basketball games because now players have two options instead of just one. So if one starts to get boring you can play the other for a while instead of having only just one option like it has been in past years. You can also eventually come back to the first with a fresh look at it instead of the negative look you may have left it with giving it more longevity.
Old 08-11-2008, 10:47 AM   #53
Pro

OVR: 7

to go further on my point.

i just think next gen systems are bought so you can experience greater games. and up to 2007 no sport game managed to evolve.

until nhl 08, with its new skill stick, skating engine and AI which managed to go some way with theirs, totally changing the way the series played.. fifa 08 underwent an overhaul too with its TOTALLY new next-gen engine. while these games aren't perfect, they add something you didn't gets with last gen sports games, like the smooth skating animations and weight in nhl and the amazing AI activity in fifa08.

obviously if you have something great like 2k have they cant afford to take risks, but in the end, just like madden, and winning eleven, the formerly great engine, will become outdated and surpassed.

its miles off yet, but i do believe live and sony's nba are working their butts off to evolve their game to whole new levels, if/once they do (which could be 2 years, or five years), 2k will be left with no option but to add something radical to their game to compete. something that makes it a totally next-gen experience, like euphoria contact physics, or something different like that. (euphoria might be a bit much for an nba game ) something that pushes animation and AI past simple tweaks.....but gives it an overhaul.

dont take it as a blast to 2k, as i clearly state it is the best and will be for a while. but without serious evolution on these next-gen systems i can see myself not buying it two or three years down the line.

Last edited by idrisguitar; 08-11-2008 at 10:51 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live »