Home

NBA Live 09 Gameplay Video

This is a discussion on NBA Live 09 Gameplay Video within the NBA Live forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 08-05-2008, 05:16 PM   #73
Gameplay Director, NBA2k

OVR: 30
Re: NBA Live 09 Gameplay Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzyk23
Speaking of Direct Passing, it now stays active for a second after you pass the ball to a player in case you want to trigger another quick pass. This is a good idea, though it also has the potential to lead to unwanted passes being made.
Just to clarify, the way icon passing works this year is that the system stays active for the duration that you hold down RB (or R1 on PS3.) We did this so you can quickly chain your passes and swing the ball around the perimeter without repeatedly calling up the icons. The icons dismiss immediately when you release the button, so you shouldn't get any unwanted passes once you get used to the system.

Another nice change that I mentioned before in a different post is that the recipient icons no longer swap around on you. Each position is locked to an icon, so after a while, it should become second nature to quickly move the ball around to the guys you want.
Old 08-05-2008, 05:32 PM   #74
Livin' the dream

Stumbleweed's Arena

OVR: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beluba
Just to clarify, the way icon passing works this year is that the system stays active for the duration that you hold down RB (or R1 on PS3.) We did this so you can quickly chain your passes and swing the ball around the perimeter without repeatedly calling up the icons. The icons dismiss immediately when you release the button, so you shouldn't get any unwanted passes once you get used to the system.

Another nice change that I mentioned before in a different post is that the recipient icons no longer swap around on you. Each position is locked to an icon, so after a while, it should become second nature to quickly move the ball around to the guys you want.
Thank god (aka Beluba haha)! I just picked up Live 08 and the icon passing is completely worthless due to that craziness as well as the alley-oop by accident thing... so happy that both are changed. Whose idea was that? Icons should always be tied to positions... you had to look at the icons and hope you hit the right button every time down the floor... no way to pass quickly with icons.

And that's a great idea about the icon passing -- I absolutely love moving the ball around the perimeter, so this is awesome news. Are the passes queued like you could do in 2K? So if I hit B, Y, A fairly quickly, it'll move the ball to all of those guys with touch passes? Or do you have to wait for the pass to arrive before hitting the next button?
Old 08-05-2008, 06:47 PM   #75
Gameplay Director, NBA2k

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumbleweed
Are the passes queued like you could do in 2K? So if I hit B, Y, A fairly quickly, it'll move the ball to all of those guys with touch passes? Or do you have to wait for the pass to arrive before hitting the next button?
The original design was to allow for queued icon passes but it had to be changed to fix a bug that was causing unwanted extra passes. You can break out of mid-catch to throw another pass though so you can still move the ball pretty quickly. We will look into a true touch passing mechanic for future versions however.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-05-2008, 06:49 PM   #76
Livin' the dream

Stumbleweed's Arena

OVR: 39

Nice, I'm happy either way. Thanks for the response. Very excited for both games this year for the first time ever.
Old 08-05-2008, 06:58 PM   #77
WTF
MVP

WTF's Arena

OVR: 50

Sounding good B... can't wait.
Old 08-05-2008, 07:48 PM   #78
yellow

23's Arena

OVR: 65

Sure does sound good. Can't wait to play
Old 08-06-2008, 10:12 AM   #79
Rookie

OVR: 8

game looks improved but I can't for the life of me stomach those ugly shooting forms..

They're just way too damn fast.
Old 08-06-2008, 01:27 PM   #80
Books Nelson Simnation

Bornindamecca's Arena

OVR: 43

I was wow-ed by the first fifteen seconds or so, and I have to agree that the animations are a very exciting step forward for this franchise. On the other hand, I saw some terrifying things in the paint. Hopefully that gets patched up, but it looked very arcadey under the basket. In the paint, most of these guy are between 250-300 lbs. There has to be some resistance down there resulting in more off balance and erratic attempts when there is no clear path to the lane.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live »