Home

NCAA Football 09 (360) Review

This is a discussion on NCAA Football 09 (360) Review within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 07-19-2008, 10:52 PM   #97
MVP

OVR: 12
Re: NCAA Football 09 (360) Review

I think the score is real high for the game, but admit it's tough to make a sports review on a game that really hasn't been played a lot. Sports games, especially deep ones, take weeks, even months before bugs and issues are found. It takes times to figure out what plays eventually can exploit the CPU and how. The game has a lot of flaws, but I'm imagining the reviewers probably hadn't seen them yet or heard about them at the time.
Old 07-20-2008, 12:15 AM   #98
OMT
MVP

OMT's Arena

OVR: 49

I don't know why Ian took a dip in this thread, and I don't know why I am as well.

That said.. 8.5 is pretty much where this game is falling. If you look at the composite reviews it has gotten... hey, 85 out of 100 on the nose so far. http://www.metacritic.com/search/pro...9&ty=3&x=0&y=0
Old 07-20-2008, 12:20 AM   #99
OMT
MVP

OMT's Arena

OVR: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by erivera7
Never in my post did I say you confirmed them as bugs, I said you confirmed them as problems.

I didn't make a mindless accusation, I'm going off of what Ian himself said.
For the record, we refer to "problems" as bugs. Anytime there is a problem with a game, it is entered into the bug database. I don't want to speak for Ian of course, but we use the term "bug" pretty liberally.
Old 07-20-2008, 12:42 AM   #100
Banned

OVR: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foddzy
OK then lets start with some of the negatives:

-1 : No CPU deep game
-1 : Broken return game
-1 : Roster Glitch
-.5: talk of "The Patch" even before game release
-.1: No chain gang
-.1: No refs on field
-.1: Bumpfuzzle with mascot (negative only due to previous 2 items)
-.1: Gratuitous cheerleader crotch shots (same as above)
-1 : No adjustable camera
-1 : Placebo sliders
-.5: Lack of penalties
-1 : Defensive player glitches
-.5: Rocket Catch
-.5: Drop back 20 yards passers effective online
-1 : Other tried and true online cheezefest exploits
-1 : "Wide Open Gameplay" euphemisim for lousy defense
-1 : Robo CPU QB over the middle/short
-? : a lot of other stuff I'm forgetting, most of it present from years past

So yeah, the above is of course just my opinion, whatever... even if you start with a PERFECT 10, you've got a big mountain to climb.

8.5??? Yeah whatever...

Glad you guys are having "fun".
Ding, ding, ding!!!
We have a winner.

This is why no one trusts gaming websites for reviews anymore.

Frankly, I think OS should just give up on game reviews and just stick to previews.

Thankfully, I only trust forum members ... the guys who play the game and don't count on ad revenue.
Old 07-20-2008, 12:43 AM   #101
Rookie

OVR: 3

I withheld judgment and rented this game. Now mind you, I have only been playing 2K5 and 2K8 for the past year, no Madden and very little NCAA 08. This game is actually comical versus the cpu. It is in no way a simulation, other than ther are 22 guy on the field. Explain to me how any of you can play 2K5, 2K8, Last gen Madden or last gen NCAA, and say this game is good? It is a joke. I was bored with it after the first 4 games, when i found that I could just cal l crossing patterns and complete every pass. WTF??? I am glad I rented first, because now I will definitely not buy Madden until after I rent it; and don't tell me about how EA is trying... I am a programmer buy profession and some of the bugs that made it into the release version of this game are pathetic. If I did this with software I develop for the company I work for, I would have been fired a long time ago. While you want testers to use "use cases" and testing plans to test software, it also very important to have someone try and "break" the software you develop so you can find and fix bugs. I seriously doubt EA has done this for the next gen systems. NCAA is no longer a football sim, it is a fun game to play against friends, but horrible to play alone. The fact that I can score touchdowns without ever reading a defense or caring about coverages makes this game closer to blitz than to a sim. I only pray that Madden will be better, but I am not holding my breath. And for the record, I don't blame Ian or his team directly. I think they are victims of unreasonable timelines and the need to out perform on quarterly profits. When we as gamers either stop buying the product or something better forces a change, EA will continue this pay to play the release candidate charade. If you enjoy this game I envy you, because I wish I knew just a little less about football so I could too.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-20-2008, 12:48 AM   #102
All Star

OVR: 33

wow. some pretty harsh reviews here.

I guess theres a distinct difference of opinion by the Sim and the Fun crowd.

The vocal minority are sure killing ncaa.
Old 07-20-2008, 01:46 AM   #103
Pro

OVR: 6

I really enjoy playing this game.

I like the fact that EA has some developers here that we can interact with on ideas and issues.

THEY are here to try and make their product better. If you want a "perfect" game-- the way you like it--then here is your chance to influence EA.

Instead, some here are taking this chance to bash the points that need improvement (In their view)

You are like the people that refuse to vote in elections, but then bitch all the while about the guy that got elected.

Valid and constructive critics are needed to make anything improve. If you just want to just bitch, then you are going to accomplish NOTHING.

If you ever want to play a College Football game that is the way you always wanted, then help. You have the EA guys here listening.
Old 07-20-2008, 02:55 AM   #104
MVP

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by WallaceNails
If you ever want to play a College Football game that is the way you always wanted, then help. You have the EA guys here listening.

ROFL...Yeah, all of our valuable feedback has produced this horse cack product we are currently saddled with.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »