Home

NCAA Football 09 (360) Review

This is a discussion on NCAA Football 09 (360) Review within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 07-15-2008, 09:26 AM   #25
MVP

swaldo's Arena

OVR: 20
Wow, it's amazing how much licensing adds to a review score! If you compared APF2K8 with NCAA 09 using the same rosters then APF would easily be the better choice. It played great out of the box and well that's great but since they have no license they get a sucky seven score. Really, an 8.5 for this game which is loaded with problems? Unfortunately, it aint raining whiskey where I'm from.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-15-2008, 09:49 AM   #26
MVP

Matt Diesel's Arena

OVR: 20
People have different opinions. Not everyone is going to rate the game the same. You cant get mad when someone rates a game 8.5 for the same reason people should not get mad at you for rating the game a 4.5.
Old 07-15-2008, 09:53 AM   #27
Tar Heels/UCF

skinfan31's Arena

OVR: 9
Re: NCAA Football 09 (360) Review

Look I'm not a big fan of EA either. I definitely hate the exclusive rights they have with certain sports. But at the same time guys are bashing this game like it's an unplayable piece of "S". The fact is, that couldn't be any further from the truth. It happens to be a very fun and enjoyable game.

No it's not perfect by any means. But at the same time there is a ton of good content. This issue isn't about a review of EA, (because if it was I would not be defending them) it's a review of a very good college football game. In my opinion 8.5 is a very accurate score.
Old 07-15-2008, 09:56 AM   #28
Have you seen my baseball

BlyGilmore's Arena

OVR: 44

a few quick points ...

1 - Any roster bug seems to have been caused by one set of bad rosters that weren't released with the game and aren't even currently available. IMO that shouldn't impact a games score especially since its the kind of thing that won't be an issue at all in a couple of weeks.

2 - All-Pro Football was half a game. It might have been great on the field but it also had no replay value for the vast majority of gamers who like to play franchises. If EA released Madden or NCAA without a dynasty/franchise and instead just let you play season after season, regardless of how good its gameplay was people would flip.

As great as the game play was there's a reason it only sold about 200,000 copies and isn't being made this year. (The metacritic score for APF btw was a 75 for the 360 and 73 for the PS3 largely because of this).

3 - From what i've read EA has said they are listening to the community and will be looking into these issues people have been reporting. If I have missed it I would love to see a post from an EA employee saying, for instance, the pass rush is broken.

4 - The job of a reviewer is not to read the forums and factor that into his review. It is to look at the game from a blank slate, weigh what you see and grade the game based on that.

I am willing to bet many of you did not do that and no doubt started this game at a 2 and went from there.

Last edited by BlyGilmore; 07-15-2008 at 10:01 AM.
Old 07-15-2008, 10:02 AM   #29
Rookie

OVR: 6
its hilarious how the same people who loooove tecmo bowl complain about the most ridiculous "realism" minutia, sometimes in the same post (imagine if you could run 50 yards back to your own goal line then 100 yards the other way for a touchdown? people would FLIP!). Also, im over the NFL 2k5 thing, I bet about 30% of the people who rave about it here actually owned it. Btw, I dont think the game is perfect by any means, maybe an 8.0, but jeez, maybe not everybody is as picky as some people here.
Old 07-15-2008, 10:06 AM   #30
Marvel's Finest

JBH3's Arena

OVR: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by VikingFan4Ever
Why no mention of the roster bug?
What is the roster bug...Is is the issue from last yr w/ the depth charts or something new?

*EDIT*

I guess you were referring to the one w/ Pasta's rosters. I thought it was something affecting everyone who owned the game...not an isolated incident only cropping up if you DL the pasta roster.
Old 07-15-2008, 10:27 AM   #31
DickDalewood

OVR:

The game easily deserves the 8.5 it was given.

As for this thread and it's "contributers"... wow has the OS community gone downhill...

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-15-2008, 11:07 AM   #32
MVP

OVR: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by erivera7
An 8.5?

A roster bug.
Broken pass rush - confirmed by Ian (EA).
Broken punt/kick return - confirmed by Ian (EA).
Unrealistic QB TD/INT ratios.
Unrealistic QB completion %'s - confirmed by Ian (EA).
Lack of CPU deep ball.
Lack of penalties.

The game is fun, sure. But with all those flaws in the game, how is that an 8.5? Especially when the majority of the problems EA has openly admitted to being problems in the game.

I'm not trying to be pessimistic, I'm trying to be realistic. An explanation would be fantastic.
Thought I'd clarify...I never "confirmed" that these are bugs. The thread just says we have people looking into them right now. The last thing we wanted was utter silence when people get the game...we wanted to investigate any complaints and see if we need to fix any of them. What that means is we need to do a lot of testing first - we don't want to make quick drastic fixes based on a very small sample set...we could easily go in the wrong direction and throw off the whole fun of the game.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »