Home

Where's the Fun in Fielding?

This is a discussion on Where's the Fun in Fielding? within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 06-13-2008, 01:15 PM   #17
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55
Re: Where's the Fun in Fielding?

My biggest problem that I've had with fielding is that an animation got in the way of me getting an out. It was a ground ball to Vizquel, and I had to throw the runner out... but he did the double-pump thing and then lofted it to first, and the guy wasn't even close to being out after that. I don't mind these cool looking animations, but they can't affect gameplay like that.

Otherwise, fielding isn't super fun, but it doesn't really seem like a chore, either. I think MLB 2K8 had some pretty fun fielding. I think the camera might have a bit to do with it even. I hope The Show 09 has a few better camera options instead of the same thing we've had for four years.
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60
Old 06-13-2008, 04:58 PM   #18
MVP

DodgerFanatic2K3's Arena

OVR: 10

Don't forget about how you can never charge a ball in the outfield and make a strong throw while running because that lame animation kicks in that makes your outfielder stop almost dead in his tracks before he throws which almost always allows a runner to score or be safe at a base

This is the biggest flaw in Fielding IMO
Old 06-16-2008, 10:08 PM   #19
MVP

duke776's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by rp71284
Anyway, I do agree that in The Show, the animations kick in way way too early.

Here's a glaring example:

Man on 1st, 2 outs
If there is a ground ball hit, your fielder automatically starts the animation to throw to 1st. So if you decide you rather get the easy out at 2nd, the fielder has to stop his animation that makes him look towards 1st and start the whole process over again which means you're too late to get any out by the time the ball gets to 2nd.
I'm not sure if it's just the ps2 version, but the last 5 games I've been able to go the short way with a man on 1st and 2 out and haven't had any delay. But, this could be just because this small sample of games, this is the first time I've played this game in a about a month.
Old 07-09-2008, 02:19 PM   #20
Rookie

OVR: 6
fielding in 2k8 the show is a joke. the computer makes a diving stop on half the grounders i hit and it is wayyy 2 easy to rob home runs.
Old 07-09-2008, 08:06 PM   #21
Rookie

Wow, seeing my username in the first post was a pleasant surprise Thanks for the nod!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-09-2008, 08:15 PM   #22
Rookie

The problem with fielding lies in the fact that, for the most part, most plays in real baseball are routine, and almost brainless to the players involved. How could you make a routine grounder more interesting? Or a routine fly ball? I read about the user suggesting pressing a button to act as closing the glove, but what happens if you time it incorrectly, the ball would fall out of your glove? There would be at least 10 errors a game (and frankly, timing a ball into a glove would also get pretty boring pretty fast). Fielding needs to be easy, in order to get realistic results, and doing something 'easy' 60-70 times a game will get boring. I honestly can't think of a better fielding mechanism, than say, a better tweaked version of what we have now. A funner version of fielding would involve more challenging routine plays (which is almost a contradiction inself), which would lead to tons more errors. Unfortunately, I can pretty safely say that there is no way to make a popup or ground ball more fun to field. First-person RTTS fielding is definitely something I hope makes it into the game, however..
Old 07-09-2008, 08:18 PM   #23
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by uraz3r0
There is nothing better than diving at a screamer down the line with your 3B and peg Chone Figgins out at home.
Well sure, there are certain SITUATIONS that make fielding fun. Just like in football games, extra points are a no brainer, and not fun at all, but if the game is tied as time is expiring, your hands are still going to get sweaty while you kick it.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »