Home

NBA Live 09 Previews: IGN, GameSpot, 1UP

This is a discussion on NBA Live 09 Previews: IGN, GameSpot, 1UP within the NBA Live forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 06-27-2008, 06:41 PM   #41
Rookie

OVR: 6
Re: NBA Live 09 Previews: IGN, GameSpot, 1UP

I am most excited about the new playcalling system and the lockdown stick addition, I was wondering when they were going to add this since the MM series had this since 07. I just hope it is not as "clingy" as in MM. Kind of like the right stick down in Live 08 where they kinda going into a defensive stance and make it so it is like 2k's lockdown or whatever you call it. I personally want this kinda system incorporated also into NBA 2k as this is the way they play in real life. The action just flows and it's not as set as NBA 2k. I think 2k has always had that kinda scripted feeling when running plays.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-29-2008, 09:00 AM   #42
MVP

OVR: 15

I'm glad that one of EA's main gameplay features for 09 is the pick and roll. Putting extensive focus on this part of the NBA game is long over due.

No game has implemented it correctly to this point IMO.

As a matter of fact, the AI utilizing the pick and roll is 'almost' non-existent in both games in comparison to how much it is used when watching real games.

The pick and roll is the main staple of most team's playbook IRL.

You see some variation of the play almost evertime down the court in the NBA. My hope is that the 'AI' is able to utilize it at the appropriate time AND with the right personnel in LIVE09.

For example I would love to see the cpu controlled Cavs utilizing the pick and pop with Big Z, the Suns using the pick and slip with Amare/Nash, and the Hornets and Jazz using the pick and roll with Dwill/Boozer and CP3 with whoever......

Who knows how well AND how often the cpu will be programmed to use this feature?

However If the 'AI' is tuned correctly with this new pick and roll feature, Live09 will be the 1st title to actually make the importance of executing AND defending the play relevant in a videogame.

Last edited by edubbs; 06-29-2008 at 09:05 AM.
Old 06-29-2008, 11:33 AM   #43
yellow

23's Arena

OVR: 65

Closest thing to it is in the video that Czar made last year I think when he was explaining the AI and used that Jason Terry/Dirk play from the right wing.

Beyond that, hopefully the AI will exploit the PnR much more which would be a beauty to see.
Old 07-06-2008, 11:20 PM   #44
Release the Kirchen

auburntigersfan's Arena

OVR: 31
Re: New Live article on ign (Beluba is helping)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggD
let the Wang perform its magic! LMAO
Old 07-06-2008, 11:35 PM   #45
Pro

OVR: 5

I'm now tracking and looking forward to NBA Live for the first time in two console generations. Reason being...Mike Wang. The guy understands how to translate the game to the video game better than anyone.

Inside Drive 2003 and 2004 were the two best basketball games on the Xbox. NBA 2k8 is the best basketball game since. I'm disappointed that he's no longer with the 2K team and expanding on what they've done well with 2K8 but it'll be interesting to see what happens with EA's money behind him.

I'd just say to fans to be patient. This year's game will likely only be a start but NBA Live will probably be the best basketball franchise again by the 3rd version two years from now. I'm interested to see what sort of tweaks could've been made in a short time but we gotta be realistic.

On a side note, the NBA has moved from an iso league to a pick and roll league. It's the most important play to get right. If NBA Live masters it this year, it's a huge step in the right direction to make this franchise appeal to sim fans.

Last edited by OneBadMutha; 07-06-2008 at 11:44 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-07-2008, 08:55 AM   #46
MVP

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneBadMutha
I'm now tracking and looking forward to NBA Live for the first time in two console generations. Reason being...Mike Wang. The guy understands how to translate the game to the video game better than anyone.

Inside Drive 2003 and 2004 were the two best basketball games on the Xbox. NBA 2k8 is the best basketball game since. I'm disappointed that he's no longer with the 2K team and expanding on what they've done well with 2K8 but it'll be interesting to see what happens with EA's money behind him.

I'd just say to fans to be patient. This year's game will likely only be a start but NBA Live will probably be the best basketball franchise again by the 3rd version two years from now. I'm interested to see what sort of tweaks could've been made in a short time but we gotta be realistic.

On a side note, the NBA has moved from an iso league to a pick and roll league. It's the most important play to get right. If NBA Live masters it this year, it's a huge step in the right direction to make this franchise appeal to sim fans.
I agree 100%.

Especially, about the NBA now being a pick and roll league. Some variation of the pick and roll is run 'almost' every time down court (for some teams) nowadays.

I'm really interested to see if they can get the AI teams to capture this part of the game correctly.

Whichever game does it the right way, will 'definately' capture the feel of the current NBA more accurately.

Hopefully, there are some extensive 5 on 5 vids released next week at E3. I'm anxious to see how this year's game looks and plays in motion.

I just hope they were able to get team AND player tendacies right this year.

Getting the CPU AI teams to all play different styles and utlize unique playbooks, has been a MAJOR issue for Live on NextGen.

Last edited by edubbs; 07-07-2008 at 09:03 AM.
Old 07-07-2008, 09:38 AM   #47
Banned

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhancock
I don't see a downside to the improvements to be honest. I took two years off of NBA live until 08
I took off 6 years so far 2001-2003 worst games I have ever played in my life, hell one year it was so bad it didn't even come out. I have no hope NBA Live will be worthwhile for me.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live »