Home

Where's the Fun in Fielding?

This is a discussion on Where's the Fun in Fielding? within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 06-10-2008, 04:35 AM   #9
Rookie

Deltron's Arena

OVR: 5
Baseball Stars on NES is a game with fun fielding. First of all you have to react quickly to grounders or line drives, making it seem as if you are really making a great play when you field a tough-to-reach smash. Secondly, instead of a metered throw you must press the d-pad in the direction of the base at the same time as the throw button. If you hit both simultaneously, the game rewards you with a hard throw. This method really makes if feel as if you earn the out when you gun out a fast runner by timing the throw correctly; opposed to the meter which feels out of place and slows down the gameplay.
Old 06-10-2008, 08:13 AM   #10
All Star

callmetaternuts's Arena

OVR: 41
Re: Where's the Fun in Fielding?

There are a few changes that could be made. Dont suck the players into the animation by the ball. In the outfield, you can be within 5 yards of the ball and you still make the catch.

You too can be a 5* recruit at FSU.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwelveozPlaya21
add worthless Xavier Lee to that list..
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassNole
CFL here he comes. Pfft, wait that would require learning a playbook. McDonalds here he comes.
Old 06-10-2008, 09:03 AM   #11
MVP

chuckm1961's Arena

OVR: 12
[checks for snipers; peeks out carefully]

MVP 05 had great fielding. Absolutely loved it.

[runs for cover]
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-10-2008, 02:35 PM   #12
Rookie

OVR: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckm1961
[checks for snipers; peeks out carefully]

MVP 05 had great fielding. Absolutely loved it.

[runs for cover]
Yeah MVP 05 definitely had the best fielding ever.

Of course I've always liked the fielding in Ken Griffey Jr's Slugfest as well.
Old 06-10-2008, 08:33 PM   #13
Rookie

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperLantern
Honestly, fielding has been the most fun part of baseball games for years in my opinion.
There is nothing better than diving at a screamer down the line with your 3B and peg Chone Figgins out at home.
Old 06-10-2008, 09:54 PM   #14
Pro

Doran's Arena

OVR: 4

The only time I have fun fielding as a CF is with a homer and a low fence (which I haven't had yet). Flyouts are too easy. Shallow line drives and hits into the gap are just not fun at all. Until my CF gets better and I can start diving, I really have no fun with fielding. I look forward to my ABs every game.
Old 06-12-2008, 10:57 PM   #15
Rookie

bizarro's Arena

OVR: 3

For season two in my franchise, I've switched off every in-game visual indicator possible, in an attempt to make it a little tougher and just look a bit more like a real baseball game. Fielding in the outfield is definitely more of an adventure this way. I changed the fielding cam to 'high' to get a little more eye-time on the actual ball, and rely a good deal on the initial jump that the computer gives you to determine the likely landing spot. But what's neat is that I have to play line drives a lot more conservatively... whereas before I could just high-tail it directly for the landing marker, now my first priority is taking an angle that will prevent the ball from getting by me.

I recommend it for anyone looking to mix things up.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-13-2008, 09:53 AM   #16
Banned

bsb13's Arena

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarro
For season two in my franchise, I've switched off every in-game visual indicator possible, in an attempt to make it a little tougher and just look a bit more like a real baseball game. Fielding in the outfield is definitely more of an adventure this way. I changed the fielding cam to 'high' to get a little more eye-time on the actual ball, and rely a good deal on the initial jump that the computer gives you to determine the likely landing spot. But what's neat is that I have to play line drives a lot more conservatively... whereas before I could just high-tail it directly for the landing marker, now my first priority is taking an angle that will prevent the ball from getting by me.

I recommend it for anyone looking to mix things up.
This actually is a fun way to field. I've been playing this way off and on since MLB 06.

Gotta use the high view though...or atleast I do.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »