Home

Where's the Fun in Fielding?

This is a discussion on Where's the Fun in Fielding? within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 06-09-2008, 02:10 PM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
Where's the Fun in Fielding?

This week, Ryan Spencer checks in with an article detailing various users' thoughts of how to improve fielding in baseball games. Check out his article, Where's the Fun in Fielding?

Quote:
"A little over a week ago, I saw a thread in the MLB The Show forum that caught my attention: “Ways to make fielding more fun?” The thread, created by OS member metallidevils, argued that fielding in all baseball games -- past and present -- was boring and tiresome."
Platform: PS2 / PS3 / PSP
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-09-2008, 06:18 PM   #2
Banned

OVR: 60
Re: Where's the Fun in Fielding?

I dunno, I think I speak for the most average gamer. Well, if not, for myself, lol.

This game finally gets fielding down where it's not so difficult to be frustrating. I like the first step. Balls hit hard down the line I would never have a chance with. Balls in the gap, the same way, at least I have both OFers going for it and then I can quickly choose who is 'closer' to the play.

If there were fielding levels of difficulty, sure, but to make it more complicated for everyone I think it would hurt the average joe who, like me, really likes to field (after having practiced quite a bit), but who might have to go back to AUTO field because the level of gamer ability is too high, and I might just become frustrated.
Old 06-09-2008, 06:29 PM   #3
MIB Crew

rspencer86's Arena

OVR: 49
I agree with you, fielding should not see an increase in difficulty/complexity on all levels. But it just seems a little strange that fielding is the same on both Rookie and Hall of Fame. There should be something that makes it more difficult as you move up the difficulty levels.

It would be best if they could separate the difficulty levels by batting, pitching, and defense. So if I was an excellent hitter but fielding was too difficult on the higher levels, I could mix and match to get the perfect difficulty.
Old 06-09-2008, 06:37 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 2
I think they (SCEA) are very close to getting it down.
The fielding meter needs tweaking because I do feel like my bad throws are random.
The first basemen has yet to not scoop up a ball in the dirt.
The action of my OF being sucked into making the play feels a bit awkward but I am over that.
All in all this game has been on the shelfs for over three months and I still look forward to firing up my PS3 or my PSP and getting in 9.
Old 06-09-2008, 07:30 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 8
Honestly, fielding has been the most fun part of baseball games for years in my opinion.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-10-2008, 12:33 AM   #6
Pro

Sigma4Life's Arena

OVR: 9
Why are you mentioning MVP while completely ignoring MLB 2k8 as if it doesn't exist? I think 2K8 does a great job of making fielding interesting. 08 is a better sim but the controls of 2k8 are superior.
Old 06-10-2008, 01:26 AM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 3
Well I'm going to ignore MLB2K8 since I didn't play it and it would be wrong to form an opinion about it without at least trying it.

Anyway, I do agree that in The Show, the animations kick in way way too early.

Here's a glaring example:

Man on 1st, 2 outs
If there is a ground ball hit, your fielder automatically starts the animation to throw to 1st. So if you decide you rather get the easy out at 2nd, the fielder has to stop his animation that makes him look towards 1st and start the whole process over again which means you're too late to get any out by the time the ball gets to 2nd.

The thing I don't like about the game, and it's my only major gripe (besides the problems with people covering bases), is that the only options in a lot of things such as fielding are "Auto" and "CPU Assisted".

I loved how in MLB, I could roam around after the play. I could throw all over the diamond pretty much. There was freedom. In The Show, once you make the out, you can't do anything. You can't even run into your own guy like in MVP 04 (I think they took it out of 05).

Trust me I love how the show plays & looks, but there are some things that remind me of MLB 2K7 & MVP 04, as in they are so close to getting the game near perfection. MVP took 3 years, and next year will be the 3rd installment (at least on the PS3).
Old 06-10-2008, 01:53 AM   #8
*ll St*r

Knight165's Arena

OVR: 56
Re: Where's the Fun in Fielding?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rp71284

The thing I don't like about the game, and it's my only major gripe (besides the problems with people covering bases), is that the only options in a lot of things such as fielding are "Auto" and "CPU Assisted".
I hear you about the "short way" out...

But are you sure there is no Manual fielding? I thought it was Manual/Assisted or Auto?

M.K.
Knight165

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »