Home

Fixing the March Madness Series

This is a discussion on Fixing the March Madness Series within the NCAA Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Other Basketball Games > NCAA Basketball
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 06-01-2008, 01:36 AM   #17
MVP

OVR: 41
tril, you mention that you bought a 2K product because of your disappointment of an EA product. You know how I got started on 2K? Because EA didn't even release the 06-07 series of its hoops games for the PS3. Talk about skimping on a finished product, this is the most notorious example. Did they not see the PS3 coming? How do you miss an entire year of your games?

Of course, this is before I became interested in the NCAA. It's still relevant, because March Madness and NBA Live are pretty much the same thing, and they both missed that year (and the year that Xbox 360 was out but the PS3 was not).

Anyway, on the topic, I don't see myself buying March Madness unless the demo is spectacular. I'm actually saving College Hoops 2K8 for next year just for when I'm disappointed in March Madness. The fact is, there are only a few games out there where the effort really shines through, and March Madness and its engine mate, NBA Live, are on the completely wrong end. They can do so much more with what they have, and yet the effort remains very hard to see in the finished product. I'd say that the biggest change should be the fluidity of gameplay (and, of course, animations, which are equal parts graphics and gameplay, and are entirely horrible in Live/MM). However, I think the future of the franchise is a lot of little changes, along with maybe some big hit-or-miss feature, likely repackaged from College Hoops or a prior version of March Madness.

You can try to fix the series, but if I were them, I'd start working on March Madness 2010 right now and skip the month off. Heck, skip the rest of the time you're working on '09.
Old 06-01-2008, 01:50 AM   #18
MVP

OVR: 19
Re: Fixing the March Madness Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behindshadows2
Again, stop comparing to CH, march madness is its own game and always will be. Work with what is present and have them evolve or better what is already right and make what is wrong, right along with the rest. In otherwords, help them fix what is broken with mature ideas and thoughts, instead pointing the game out as if the whole think was a bust.

-Peace
your points are well taken, but I personally never lobbed any criticism at EA SPORTS. Im just hesitant/concerned, based on past experience. You also have to realize that 2K really upped the ante. Again, folks are worried about a let down by MM, and will feel this way until the game is actually released.
Folks are worried that EA overall isnt concerned about the dedicated sports gamer.

Unfortunately I dont know enough about the MM sports title to give any suggestions for improved game-play, features etc. Maybe I should pick up a copy and reintroduce myself to the MM/NBA-LIVE franchise.
Old 06-01-2008, 02:53 AM   #19
Rookie

F3rN's Arena

OVR: 3

I will admit I have not played mach madness since im guessing 04, I really want a college basketball game for '09. So all I have to say is make it a fun game with realistic play, schedules, stadiums and a deep dynasty mode with some highschool games tournaments and also stats for recruits. I just hope EA puts as much effort into this as they do their football games.
Old 06-01-2008, 02:54 AM   #20
MVP

OVR: 12

I just don't think it can be fixed in a year. It's just a bad game when compared to what else is out there. But I'll bite:

- Gameplay needs to be re-done from scratch. It's just not good. It plays like an arcade game and there are too many things that can be abused. It doesn't have a college basketball feel at all where teamwork is important. Too much focus on one-on-one, not enough focus on getting open mid-range, 3-point shots. The passing being so delayed and slow makes this tough to emulate real college basketball.

- Dynasty needs to get deeper and more realistic. Simulations scores are way off still and scheduling is screwy. Player ratings aren't even close and the roster size is too small. There aren't enough preseason tournaments and thousands of other minor details that 2K has that MM doesn't. And I can't remember for sure, but didn't this game leave out multiplayer dynasties? I do like some of the options about upgrading facilities, etc.

Those are the two most important areas for me, and the only reason I buy college games. They have a lot of flaws, particularly in terms of gameplay. I can stay here all night and list other areas where MM doesn't stand up to CH. Most who have played both games know, and most chose CH as their primary college hoops game.

I'd love to see this series become great and become better than CH. Unfortunately, EA has shown that once competition leaves, so does their motivation to make a better game.
Old 06-01-2008, 12:37 PM   #21
KG
Welcome Back

KG's Arena

OVR: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behindshadows2
Again another pointless post!

Again, you want to dispute me, but you've never played the game! And there is no dynasty on the demo. So again your points aren't valid or even worth the convo.

Play the game, see the dynasty mode first, before trying to dispute someone who has played.

Take Care.

P.S. I have both games, and completed the legacy on CH2k8 and the Dynasty on MM08. So my comparisons are valid and proved.

You've never even played March Madness 08 or 07. I checked your complete gamertag out! Peace!
P.S. I've played both Demos and they weren't enough for me to get it and go into the dynasty mode.

I'll give it a shot when the '09 Demo drops though.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-02-2008, 10:55 PM   #22
Pro

whittleboy615's Arena

OVR: 16
Icon14 Re: Fixing the March Madness Series

I agree with BShadows. Let's try to fill this thread with comments that can improve March Madness 09.

There is no point in harping on how much you disliked MM03 and the MM08 demo (by the way, demo's are never as good as the actual game) or how EA is out to destroy all sim sports games.

Let's be productive. Complaints will not bring back the College Hoops series, but we can help improve the existing March Madness series with intelligent ideas and feedback. These EA Canada basketball devs are willing to listen to the OS community, so don't turn them off by telling them how much EA sucks and their product sucks and will always suck (especially in feedback threads like this one).
Old 06-03-2008, 06:23 PM   #23
ehh
Hall Of Fame

ehh's Arena

OVR: 44

I probably won't have to worry about MM09 since I sold my 360 and don't plan on buying another one for the foreseeable future, but I want there to be a good college game on the market each year.

There are a lot of issues that need fixing with this series starting first and foremost with the game play. I hate to say it but MM08 might be in the same boat as 2K baseball in terms of needing to ditch the engine and build from scratch.

When I played MM08 it looked like the animations were from a PS2/Xbox game, this is another area that desperately needs fixing. Everything from player movements to the nets after a swish needs to be upgraded.

In terms of dynasty mode, MM has a long way to go. Real schedules have been beaten to death but can't be understated. The recruiting process needs to be beefed up and I wish EA would just sit down with a copy of CH2K8 and copy it 100%.

Another big thing is the user/menu interface from everything to starting an exhibition to creating/editing a player. The edit-player feature and roster editing was brutally bad and slow in MM08. I love editing players/rosters but it was almost an unbearable task this year. It's the same problem in NCAA Football so I wouldn't hold my breath for this to be fixed.

The rosters need to be much more accurate, both current and classic rosters. As a die-hard UConn fan, I could hardly identify a single player on the all-time UConn squad. 1993 Michigan had Jimmy King and Chris Webber as the same ranking I believe.

Remember the big jump that CH made from 2K4 to 2K5? It felt, looked and played like a new engine. That's the type of change MM needs to make, this game needs a whole new feel.

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas." - Warren Buffet
Old 06-04-2008, 06:34 PM   #24
Pro

OVR: 7

As long as they bring back the option to export players to NBA Live like they did with March Madness 04 and Live 04. I will definately take a look at March Madness 09. That's the main reason why I've chosen College Hoops over March Madness. I love being able to watch a guy go from high school all-american, to college superstar, and then see what he can do in the NBA. March Madness brings this back I'm in.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Other Basketball Games > NCAA Basketball »