Home

rFactor - IRL Style Part II

This is a discussion on rFactor - IRL Style Part II within the Racing forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Racing
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 04-01-2008, 12:24 PM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
rFactor - IRL Style Part II

Robert Nielsen continues his look at the top rFactor mods by taking at look at the Open Wheeled Racing Series mod, or OWRS for short.

Quote:
"Last week I looked at the X-Race Oval Series add-on for rFactor, which looked to be the only mod available to simulate the winged rockets that make up the IRL. A new player has entered the fray, the Open Wheeled Racing Series 1.00, or OWRS."
Platform: PC
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-01-2008, 01:20 PM   #2
All Star

OVR: 20
The IndyCar Series does not run at Charlotte or Atlanta. It hasn't run at Charlotte since 1999, and it hasn't run at Atlanta since 2001.
Old 04-01-2008, 03:06 PM   #3
MVP

TCrouch's Arena

OVR: 33
Re: rFactor - IRL Style Part II

I love the handling model in the OWRS mod. It's twitchy, but combined with the RealFeel plugin (thanks for the advice, pk), it is unbelievable. I looped it twice trying to get started while shifting at too high RPM, and the model is extremely fun at speed. Laps around the IMS were unreal...can't wait to put more time in with it.
Old 04-04-2008, 12:34 AM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 6
Yes, I have to agree, this IRL mod is great, It's in the category of mods that you MUST have installed in rFactor.

I may see what leagues are going to form with this mode and join up. My laptimes need to improve slightly though. I'm lapping high 38, while what I've seen, leaders are dipping into the 37's at Indy.
Old 04-04-2008, 12:50 AM   #5
Rookie

The thing I noticed about racing Indy that's kind of true to life, is that there is NO margin for errors on the turns.

You even THINK about putting a tyre on that white line, and you're going to spin. And if you turn too late and take a higher line, you're dropping maybe 1/4 of a second on that turn.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-04-2008, 09:53 AM   #6
All Star

OVR: 20

Ramen:

You're right -- this is one KILLER mod. Indy requires all of the precision you need in real life. Miss your turn-in points, and you're going to scrub too much speed. Put your left front on the rumble strips, and you're going to do the loopdy-loop.

Regarding those fast times, those are all due to setup. The guys running in the 37s are running unrealistic, trick setups. I have a few of those. While it's fun to rip at those speeds, turning laps in the 37.4 range, it feels a bit dirty knowing that you're running a setup that either would be illegal or would result in a torn-up car in reality.

I never run those setups when racing with friends, but I'll use them in the RACE@RFC open track events at Indy just so I can keep up with the Joneses and try to get a decent world ranking.

The lack of control over setup parameters is about the only weakness in this mod, and one of the few weaknesses in rFactor, overall.

Regardless, the IRL 07 mod is fantastic.

Take care,
PK
Old 04-05-2008, 01:39 AM   #7
Rookie

And something Re: the tach

It seems this changes my tach to have a red line at 18000 rpm. I thought this may be due to the MMG F1 mod I had set up(where the revs get that high). So I did a clean install of rFactor, then installed the IRL mod. Same 18000 tach.

I installed again and just saw what it did on the defaults, and it gave me the default one with no numbers. Is there something I have to change to make the tach correct? The gauge itself is correct, just the numbers are wrong. And it keeps this same tach though every mod after it installs.
Old 04-05-2008, 02:08 AM   #8
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramenite
And something Re: the tach

It seems this changes my tach to have a red line at 18000 rpm. I thought this may be due to the MMG F1 mod I had set up(where the revs get that high). So I did a clean install of rFactor, then installed the IRL mod. Same 18000 tach.

I installed again and just saw what it did on the defaults, and it gave me the default one with no numbers. Is there something I have to change to make the tach correct? The gauge itself is correct, just the numbers are wrong. And it keeps this same tach though every mod after it installs.
Ok, there's a patch on rFactorcentral on the same page as this mod. It resets the default settings for the cars to their default state.

I'd just delete the original comment, but there may be someone else wondering the same thing.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Racing »