Home

rFactor - IRL Style

This is a discussion on rFactor - IRL Style within the Racing forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Racing
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 03-27-2008, 06:08 PM   #9
Banned

OVR: 11
Re: rFactor - IRL Style

Quote:
Originally Posted by pk500
Ernesto:

Good to hear from you, man. You're too kind and too generous with the compliments -- inaccurate, too!

I still think the best current F1 mod for rFactor is the 2007 BMW Sauber F1 car created by ISI, the makers of rFactor:

http://www.rfactorcentral.com/detail...ber%20BMW%20F1

Yes, it's only one team. But the physics are sublime. The car just feels right. Predictable and responsive, but very tough to keep the car right on the limit all the time. Just so much fun to drive, especially with Leo's FFB plug-in:

http://www.rfactorcentral.com/detail...20FFB%20plugin

The other current F1 mods have all the teams from respective seasons, but they all have limitations, too. Dodgy driving models, crummy AI, big FPS requirements, mediocre graphics or all of the above.

The only problem with the 2007 BMW Sauber F1 car is that no one races it online. The MMG F1 2007 Server Edition dominates online F1 action in rFactor right now. But the creators of that mod are such an arrogant lot, slashing into people who criticized their horrible, beta-like first release a few weeks ago, that I'm reluctant to use their crap. Your mileage may vary.

While I think the pickings of quality current F1 offerings are slim past the 2007 BMW Sauber, there are three superb historic F1 mods for rFactor:

Grand Prix 1979

http://www.rfactorcentral.com/detail...%20Prix%201979

This might be the best overall mod in rFactor in terms of driving model, AI, physics, graphics, sound and immersion. It's just top-notch in every way. Highly recommended.

F1 1988

http://www.rfactorcentral.com/detail...%20carrera%2E4

A very good mod, especially considering it's a beta! The sounds are a bit off, and there seems to be a tad too much grip. But driving the turbo cars from this era of McLaren domination and Senna's heyday -- one of my favorite periods of F1 -- is a blast. A very fun mod.

1955 F1

http://www.rfactorcentral.com/detail.cfm?ID=1955%20F1

This mod will test your driving skills like few others. These cars had a ton of power on skinny tires, with no aero grip, so you'll slide all over the place without a deft touch with the throttle, brake and gas. This mod is about as close as you'll get to the venerable Grand Prix Legends with rFactor. Your respect for the brave, skilled men who actually raced these cars in the 50s increases tenfold after driving this mod.

As for the real F1 season, it's way too early to tell. But Ferrari or McLaren will win every race this season unless there's a wild-card race with a ton of rain. I still like Raikkonen to repeat, especially since he faces less of a threat from Massa than Hamilton does from Kovalainen.

I was hoping that Australia was the sign of a new dawn for my favorite team, Williams, with visions maybe even of third in the Constructors' standings this season. But the lousy weekend in Malaysia dumped the cold water of reality on that dream.

Let's race rFactor together sometime, man! PM me.

Take care,
PK

Hi PK, lol!!, I'm serious, you know your racing man!!..really. You are a great source for racing information. Real racing and video game racing. You should be writing in Racing magazines man...or maybe you already do? and your not telling us!..lol! You know about all forms of racing! not just F1....which is all I know and only a little bit!

Thanks for the links PK, I will sure check them out. I just recently installed rFactor that's why I'm inquiring about the mods and saw your post about the IRL mod and had to check them out.

The 1988 F1 mod I'm for sure checking out. That's when I first started watching F1 and fell in love with it. I still remember it like it was yesterday. It was the first race of the season in Brazil. ESPN had the rights to F1 coverage in the USA. The anouncers if I remember were Chris Economaki, David Hobbs and John Bisignano in the pits; Those were the days when they actually were at the races on location, unlike now where it is now covered in a studio. I think Senna started from the pits if I remember correctly..something happend to his original car and used the spare...Didn't he come back from last to finish in 3rd or 4th?...man, he was good!!

The 1955 mod sounds good too!!..wow, so many mods.

I will PM you when I get them installed...I want to race on-line myself...I'm thinking about getting one of those Cockpit seats..Playseat?...so I'll be ready!!..lol!!

Thanks again PK for the info...much appriciate it

I'll keep in touch!

peace
Ernesto
Old 03-28-2008, 07:28 PM   #10
MVP

jct32's Arena

OVR: 17

I'm up for some open wheel racing, what mod are we using?
Old 03-29-2008, 09:21 AM   #11
All Star

OVR: 20

http://www.rfactorcentral.com/detail...02007%20Season

Take care,
PK
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-29-2008, 09:25 AM   #12
MVP

jct32's Arena

OVR: 17