Home

MLB '08: The Show Review

This is a discussion on MLB '08: The Show Review within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 03-16-2008, 06:53 PM   #73
Banned

OVR: 3
Re: MLB '08: The Show Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxChamp
Then maybe you need to call for a change in the way ALL games are reviewed. Because under the current scheme, a 6.5 is a terrible score. Why on earth should this game receive such an awful score when the online portion is the only mode that doesn't work the way it should? If there was a change in the way a 6.5 score is viewed by the consumer, and games much worse than The Show also received scores much worse than 6.5, then I could make some sense out of your suggestion that this game should receive such a low score. But until then, a 6.5 is ridiculous. I've seen games that are absolutey horrid from top to bottom receive scores higher than 6.5. That's why I find your opinion so utterly asinine.
Stop focusing on the 6.5..That was really just an arbitrary number I threw out there. I personally don't think scores are necessary...At least not for gamers...Most people on this forum could have read the review and if it was the review they needed to help them make a purchase then the OS or any other review would have still done so w/o the benefit of seeing some Random number attached to the game based on what the writer sais is most important or not.

IMO...a 6.5 is not that bad..It is using todays current form of scoring games but if reviews were far more detailed, specific and comprehensive a 5.5 to 7.5 would be an average score for a good decent playing game...8.0 and above would be the elite status games and below 5...straight garbage (cough MLB 2k8)

Is The Show an elite game?...most likely it is...many areas of the game set it apart from all next gen sports games we've seen but IMO to get to the Elite status you have to cross the T's and DOT the I's in every major aspect of the game. key areas of any sports game are...and in no specific order:

1. Gameplay
2. Graphics/Visuals
3. Presentation
4. Features
5. Online
6. Franchise

Now if you break each area down in its own component and score it...what is each area worth? and is one area more important than the other???

Last edited by Oldschool17; 03-16-2008 at 06:56 PM.
Old 03-16-2008, 07:10 PM   #74
Banned

OVR: 60

Quote:
I never meant or wanted to be right but facts are just that...FACTS...Please get off your lil "We" kick and speak for yourself. I don't need to be right..I just need the guys at Sony to know that ONLINE is a very viable part of this game...I'm sure Chris would agree with that as well..Just like I'm sure he would agree that Franchise is equally important.
Been on these forums a long time. You posted ad nauseum, insulted the devs about putting out a faulty product and disappearing, (see how respectful he was to you?), have been condescending, a good spinner.

You got your way now. Just don't clutter up the rest of the review thread with page after page after page of online talk. Sort of hijacking the thread. But, it's a free country. Just remember your own words....
Quote:
mindless jibberish

Last edited by jim416; 03-16-2008 at 07:12 PM.
Old 03-16-2008, 07:29 PM   #75
Banned

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldschool17
IMO a 8 or 9 for this game tells Sony that its ok to have bull$hit online play because overall gamers don't care.
IMO, that's a reasonable opinion. I personally don't agree with it, but then I don't play online, so it's hard to imagine a game getting docked like that just because the online component comes up short.

Regardless, this entire discussion is an example of why a 'final overall rating' for these games serves no purpose whatsoever. Games should be rated by individual catagory only: Graphics 9, Franchise 8.5, Online 5, etc.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-16-2008, 07:32 PM   #76
DickDalewood

OVR:

Quote:
Originally Posted by baa7
IMO, that's a reasonable opinion. I personally don't agree with it, but then I don't play online, so it's hard to imagine a game getting docked like that just because the online component comes up short.

Regardless, this entire discussion is an example of why a 'final overall rating' for these games serves no purpose whatsoever. Games should be rated by individual catagory only: Graphics 9, Franchise 8.5, Online 5, etc.
Couldn't agree with you more Baa... excellent post.

Old 03-16-2008, 07:41 PM   #77
Banned

OVR: 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by baa7

For a Canadian, you ain't bad. That would be a good way to do it in the future.

Check you PMs (I've sent you nothing again)
Old 03-17-2008, 03:15 PM   #78
MVP

OVR: 28
I will say that this game is better than advertised. I purchased a PS3 (which is my second one since I traded in my original) just to play The Show. Sony never thought that a sweet sports game could be a system seller, especially since most next-gen sports games have suffered visually or have lacked in depth.

I hope Sony gets on the wagon and releases some downloadable content, such as classic stadiums, teams and more classic uniforms.
Old 03-17-2008, 07:57 PM   #79
Banned

OVR: 3

Aside from he online issues I'd definitely agree that if you are a Sports fan this game is a sure fire system seller
Old 03-18-2008, 06:51 AM   #80
Rookie

OVR: 1
Hey everyone i was wondering does The Show have stadium animations like in Shea when the apple comes up or in Houston when the train comes out? I know stadium animations aren't that big of a deal but i think they are so cool and add a little more realism to the game.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »